Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My apologies Frankie, but with Kylie not being here at present we take it upon ourselves to keep an eye on you.

With all the *shudder* stories that Kylie has relayed to us about your trip, we think it only right that you are, how shall I put it? Monitored when online?

:rolol:

*catches sight of an angry Finn* :out:

What's she been telling then, aye?! Oh I feel my anger rising. Too bad I couldn't call Kylie from my cell phone even when I was IN Australia, I'd be giving her a ring right about now... Tut tut! I'll get to the bottom of this, oh just you wait...

I'm slow to make real friends, I don't like talking about myself with strangers, I usually do the listening and have questions for them. She did say a couple of times that she feels like she's been going on and on, but I told her I liked listening and it's not like she's been going on about stuff I'm not interested in. I'm sure I'll come more out of my shell in the future, when I've established in my head that she wants to get to know me. And it'll be easier to get to know each other via talking books. Talking about the books takes the pressure off me to talk about myself and trying to sound interesting. It's really a win-win situation.

It was really sooo much fun to talk books! I think we covered a lot of ground but there's still just so much to talk about. I forgot to ask her if she keeps a tally of all the books she reads, I'll ask her the next time, and will also tell her about goodreads. The two hours just flew by! A man was sitting at a table near us and sometimes I could see him looking over (maybe he wanted some company), but then he saw we had loads of books on the table :giggle: At one point the bartender cranked up the volume on the jukebox that was right behind me and I said to Liisa, we must really be boring the other customers with our bookish talk, and they need to drown out our conversation. That was a joke of course, but we did have a laugh about it.

I'm so glad it went well :friends0: and it's so much easier when you know you share a common interest because otherwise there might be awkward silences etc. I bet all the people in the bar were busy secretly scribbling down your recommendations :lol: I expect it was a different kind of conversation to what they're used to. And you had a man checking the pair of you out too :giggle2: bet he likes a well read girl :D

It was What I Loved in particular, and The Sorrows of an American, I just couldn't remember the English title so just wrote Hustvedt. Did you buy the book solely based on the fact that it's on the list or are you otherwise interested? Liisa really liked it, there's a lot of stuff about art in it, which she enjoyed, personally I think I might struggle with it. Liisa has also read The Kite Runner and liked it too, but she was really astounded by A Thousand Splendid Suns. Haha do you really think you'll have any money for Liisa to spend, after talking to us on BCF and getting loads of recommendations from the good people on here? My my you must be RICH!

I've never read any Ian McEwan either, and to be honest I've never really even wanted to, I think I have this prejudice about him, that's really based on nothing factual. Weird. Should just go ahead and read one of his novels. It'll be interesting to see whether Anne Tyler is any good, in your opinion or mine, once we've gotten around to reading her.

I bought 'What I Loved' partly because it was on the list and partly because I liked the sound of it. I was really bored one day and went through the list one by one, reading all the synopsis's online (this was before I had a copy of the book) and putting big ticks and crosses next to each title. There are some on there that are never going to be my cup of tea in a million years and others that sound way over my head. I figure that maybe in years to come I might want to tackle them but for now I have my own list within a list, if you see what I mean although it changes all the time depending on the reviews I read here etc.

I've got a bit of a phobia about Ian McEwan too and I have no idea why either (but we shouldn't ignore it .. we can't both be wrong :D ) and as there are so many books/writers to read then I'm not too bothered about reading the one's I have no interest in. Alan read 'Atonement' though (way before the film) and liked it .. the book was actually in the house at one stage but it went off to the charity shop without me reading it which is most odd but true.

'A Thousand Splendid Suns' must be awesome then .. I thought it would be but Liisa has confirmed it.

I do wish I had more money to spend on books, we are on a bit of an economy drive at the moment so books are considered a bit of a luxury item (which I think is an outrage :wink: ) There is a bookfair here this Sunday and I have no idea if it's going to be good or not as I've only lived here for about seven months and they haven't had one before. Alan says I should go and as long as I don't go mad I think it'll be ok if I get a couple of books (will need mammoth amounts of restraint and self control not to bring back my own bodyweight in literature :D ) .. exciting though.

Kylie has beaten me to it, I was going to send you my copy of Mr Chartwell but Alan says he wants to read it first and he is being incredibly slow about it (ie .. he's still reading John Connolly's book .. he's finished the actual story but there's lots of extra stuff at the back.) Anyway bless Kylie for sending you book parcels .. hope you enjoy reading them all especially 'Mr Chartwell' .. I'm so interested to know what you make of it.

I liked the song .. I love Sister Sledge. Thanks Janet :friends0: for posting it.

I keep coming across Mr Chartwell in various places on the internet but I can't quite get my head round the premise - I do hope you enjoy it, frankie. :)

I liked the song .. I love Sister Sledge. Thanks Janet :friends0: for posting it.

No problem, although look... I've made frankie angry!

Oh heck Janet, what am I supposed to do with you?! Now everyone will know I'm actually a man in his prime, and not a young, innocent girl! :irked:

:hide::giggle2:

I'm so glad it went well and it's so much easier when you know you share a common interest because otherwise there might be awkward silences etc. I bet all the people in the bar were busy secretly scribbling down your recommendations. I expect it was a different kind of conversation to what they're used to. And you had a man checking the pair of you out too bet he likes a well read girl

Thanks poppyshake, I'm really surprised by how well it went, too. It definitely is easier to meet a stranger if you have a shared interest to talk about, and well, let's face, I wouldn't have met her if we didn't. Haha I wish we were as lucky to have been the ones to eavesdrop (ears-drop!), but I don't think the other people came to the bar to talk books. And I don't think the man was checking us out, at least for our looks or the witty conversation, he must've been mortified not to have 'normal' women to try and pick up :lol: We did take up a whole table that could've been otherwise crowded by dashing, tipsy ladies :D

I bought 'What I Loved' partly because it was on the list and partly because I liked the sound of it. I was really bored one day and went through the list one by one, reading all the synopsis's online (this was before I had a copy of the book) and putting big ticks and crosses next to each title. There are some on there that are never going to be my cup of tea in a million years and others that sound way over my head. I figure that maybe in years to come I might want to tackle them but for now I have my own list within a list, if you see what I mean although it changes all the time depending on the reviews I read here etc.

I wonder if you have written down the list, on computer, and have it somewhere, out of curiosity.

I've got a bit of a phobia about Ian McEwan too and I have no idea why either (but we shouldn't ignore it .. we can't both be wrong ) and as there are so many books/writers to read then I'm not too bothered about reading the one's I have no interest in. Alan read 'Atonement' though (way before the film) and liked it .. the book was actually in the house at one stage but it went off to the charity shop without me reading it which is most odd but true.

'A Thousand Splendid Suns' must be awesome then .. I thought it would be but Liisa has confirmed it.

It's funny you should also have a Ian McEwan phobia too :lol: Poor man! Although just us two combined, we can't do much harm, because loads of people keep reading his books. If it weren't for the 1001 Books I think I might continue with my prejudices, just for fun, and leave him well alone! It's true that since there's always so many (too many!) other books and authors to read, it's not very tempting to go out of one's way and try someone who one's not at all keen on.

I do wish I had more money to spend on books, we are on a bit of an economy drive at the moment so books are considered a bit of a luxury item (which I think is an outrage) There is a bookfair here this Sunday and I have no idea if it's going to be good or not as I've only lived here for about seven months and they haven't had one before. Alan says I should go and as long as I don't go mad I think it'll be ok if I get a couple of books (will need mammoth amounts of restraint and self control not to bring back my own bodyweight in literature) .. exciting though.

Ooooh, a book fair! I'm sure I speak on the behalf of a lot of people on here: would you mind taking pictures, please? :smile2: I'm so jealous! Is Alan going with you, or are you supposed to manage hauling all the books back home by yourself? Kylie could give you a few tips ;) The operative word is 'trolley' :giggle2: Check the price range first, if they're on the cheap side you could go a bit wild. And this goes without saying but I'll say it anyway: Don't forget to post about your purchases!

Kylie has beaten me to it, I was going to send you my copy of Mr Chartwell but Alan says he wants to read it first and he is being incredibly slow about it (ie .. he's still reading John Connolly's book .. he's finished the actual story but there's lots of extra stuff at the back.) Anyway bless Kylie for sending you book parcels .. hope you enjoy reading them all especially 'Mr Chartwell' .. I'm so interested to know what you make of it.

I liked the song .. I love Sister Sledge. Thanks Janet for posting it.

Aww, that's a nice thought of you poppyshake :smile2: I'm really thrilled about Mr Chartwell, I've been wanting to read it for a long time now! And yes of course Alan should have his chance at the book. He seems to read quite a lot, doesn't he? I wish BF read as much. We hardly ever read the same books.

I keep coming across Mr Chartwell in various places on the internet but I can't quite get my head round the premise - I do hope you enjoy it, frankie.

Do you mean it's not you cup of tea, or is it a bit too 'out there'? I usually love a good read about people with mental illnesses, I guess I feel I can relate. And there's a dog, which is always the best added bonus there is. I think I shall quite enjoy it, if I'm not mistaken it was Ruth who wrote a review about the book and she really liked it, and I trust her opinion on these sorts of books, she was the one who got me into The Art of Racing in the Rain, one of the best novels ever.

No problem, although look... I've made frankie angry!

:hide::giggle2:

Frankie has fortunately had time to cool down, and is now embracing the fact that the truth is out there. Look out, eligible young women! :lol:

(Although I have to say, nobody has seemed to notice my newly revealed true identity!)

Frankie, do you mind if I steal your book list and answer them in my 'Peacefield's Reads' thread? I think that would give it more life as it's woefully quiet these days .

You've very welcome to it! It's free for all :) I think I should've mentioned it on the post with the list, everyone keeps asking for permission which has surprised me because I intended it to be freely copied by anyone who'd like it. I think I'll go and edit the posts with the questionnaire so it's more obvious.

Peacefield, I always look at the new posts on everyone's reading blog, and I'm sorry I haven't been more active on yours, but I fear it's just a question of you reading books I know nothing about! I feel we have a rather different taste in books, which is surprising how similar a taste we have in TV series and movies :)

It's funny you should also have a Ian McEwan phobia too

Seeing as the three of us have quite similar tastes in book, I wonder if I might be able to persuade you both to try McEwan? I've read Enduring Love and Atonement and quite enjoyed both. Poppyshake, I think you in particular will enjoy McEwan's style of writing, which is quite lyrical. I found that, with Atonement, not a whole lot happened during the first third of the book, but I didn't mind too much because I was enjoying the prose so much. Enduring Love was a pretty interesting read.

Please try reading some McEwan! For me? Pretty please? With a cherry on top? smile2.gif

The operative word is 'trolley'

Yes! Trolleys are brilliant. Your arms will darn near fall off if you have to carry bags full of books! Have fun, Poppyshake!

(Although I have to say, nobody has seemed to notice my newly revealed true identity!)

I noticed! I can't tell you how relieved I was to meet you at the airport and find that you really were the sweet, lovely gal I hoped, and not an axe-wielding, burly Russian guy. mocking.gif

I think I should've mentioned it on the post with the list, everyone keeps asking for permission which has surprised me because I intended it to be freely copied by anyone who'd like it. I think I'll go and edit the posts with the questionnaire so it's more obvious.

We're all just super polite, I guess! That, or we're very scared of you and don't want to get on your bad side. lurker.gif

I mustn't be scared though, because I'm pretty sure I didn't ask for permission!

Seeing as the three of us have quite similar tastes in book, I wonder if I might be able to persuade you both to try McEwan? I've read Enduring Love and Atonement and quite enjoyed both. Poppyshake, I think you in particular will enjoy McEwan's style of writing, which is quite lyrical. I found that, with Atonement, not a whole lot happened during the first third of the book, but I didn't mind too much because I was enjoying the prose so much. Enduring Love was a pretty interesting read.

Please try reading some McEwan! For me? Pretty please? With a cherry on top? smile2.gif

I trust you and your taste and am persuaded :) But won't have the time to go for McEwan very soon, have too many books to read :rolleyes:

I noticed! I can't tell you how relieved I was to meet you at the airport and find that you really were the sweet, lovely gal I hoped, and not an axe-wielding, burly Russian guy. :giggle2:

Oh that little nitwit, she's my niece. I had secondthought about coming over so sent her instead of me. I hope she wasn't too much trouble!

We're all just super polite, I guess! That, or we're very scared of you and don't want to get on your bad side. lurker.gif

I mustn't be scared though, because I'm pretty sure I didn't ask for permission!

I think it's the super politeness :) And yes I know YOU didn't ask permission, I notice everything! :lol: Tut tut Kylie. :giggle2:

Edited by frankie

You've very welcome to it! It's free for all :) I think I should've mentioned it on the post with the list, everyone keeps asking for permission which has surprised me because I intended it to be freely copied by anyone who'd like it. I think I'll go and edit the posts with the questionnaire so it's more obvious.

Peacefield, I always look at the new posts on everyone's reading blog, and I'm sorry I haven't been more active on yours, but I fear it's just a question of you reading books I know nothing about! I feel we have a rather different taste in books, which is surprising how similar a taste we have in TV series and movies :)

Thanks! I think I'll start posting one a day like Poppy :D.

No, don't be sorry about not visiting my thread. When I said 'woefully quiet' I meant that I myself have been neglecting it, and that I'm not as fast a reader as you fine folk so I don't post reviews that often! I'll fix that tonight though and get caught up with posting 2 reviews for the recent books I finished, and also start on the lilst.

It's true, though, I think we do have differing taste in books. It's interesting to see how we can agree so much on other things except most books, which is probably a good thing because life would get pretty boring if we agreed on everything! ;)

I trust you and your taste and am persuaded :) But won't have the time to go for McEwan very soon, have too many books to read

Mmm, well I'll let it slide for now, but I'm not going to forget this conversation! (OK, I probably will; you've had yet more evidence in the past few minutes of how bad my memory is!)

Oh that little nitwit, she's my niece. I had secondthought about coming over so sent her instead of me. I hope she wasn't too much trouble!

She was a handful, but I managed OK!

I think it's the super politeness :) And yes I know YOU didn't ask permission, I notice everything! :lol: Tut tut Kylie. :giggle2:

smile2.gif I'm not scared of you! :P

Thanks poppyshake, I'm really surprised by how well it went, too. It definitely is easier to meet a stranger if you have a shared interest to talk about, and well, let's face, I wouldn't have met her if we didn't. Haha I wish we were as lucky to have been the ones to eavesdrop (ears-drop!), but I don't think the other people came to the bar to talk books. And I don't think the man was checking us out, at least for our looks or the witty conversation, he must've been mortified not to have 'normal' women to try and pick up We did take up a whole table that could've been otherwise crowded by dashing, tipsy ladies

Now I've figured out your true identity, I realise that you were actually out on a hot date!! .. honestly fancy telling us you were there to talk about books .. do we look simple (don't answer that.)

I wonder if you have written down the list, on computer, and have it somewhere, out of curiosity.

I've got it written down somewhere, I could easily type it up but where would be the best place to put it? (careful :smile2: )

It's funny you should also have a Ian McEwan phobia too Poor man! Although just us two combined, we can't do much harm, because loads of people keep reading his books. If it weren't for the 1001 Books I think I might continue with my prejudices, just for fun, and leave him well alone! It's true that since there's always so many (too many!) other books and authors to read, it's not very tempting to go out of one's way and try someone who one's not at all keen on.

I would agree but Kylie has asked so prettily .. I can't refuse her. If we read him and hate him Frankie then you can barge into her blog and tell her what you are going to tell Goethe .. if he doesn't come up to snuff. I would do it but you're the one with the testosterone :lol:

Ooooh, a book fair! I'm sure I speak on the behalf of a lot of people on here: would you mind taking pictures, please? I'm so jealous! Is Alan going with you, or are you supposed to manage hauling all the books back home by yourself? Kylie could give you a few tips ;) The operative word is 'trolley' :giggle2: Check the price range first, if they're on the cheap side you could go a bit wild. And this goes without saying but I'll say it anyway: Don't forget to post about your purchases!

I think it will be a weeny, weeny, small one because the place that it's being held in doesn't appear to be that big .. but who knows. I will try and get pics and yes, Alan is coming to scout around for me and carry back the books that I'm not supposed to be buying. My cousin is coming to tea (you know ... dinner but we'll be having it late afternoon) and so I am only at liberty to be there for a couple of hours at most unless she lets herself in and makes her own tea which frankly frankie :lol: might be rude.

Aww, that's a nice thought of you poppyshake :smile2: I'm really thrilled about Mr Chartwell, I've been wanting to read it for a long time now! And yes of course Alan should have his chance at the book. He seems to read quite a lot, doesn't he? I wish BF read as much. We hardly ever read the same books.

He does read a lot although not fast enough!! He tends to ask me to recommend books to him because I kind of know what he likes and what he doesn't. I didn't recommend Jonathan Safran Foer to him because he doesn't want to have to work that hard :lol:

I promise now, because you have asked so nicely that I won't discount him from any of my future book purchases and will try and read 'Atonement' sometime soon. I will probably become a mad convert then and buy up all of his others. Having a phobia about certain authors is my only way of saving money :D

Yes! Trolleys are brilliant. Your arms will darn near fall off if you have to carry bags full of books! Have fun, Poppyshake!

Thanks Kylie :friends0: as I said, I think it's only small, and I'll never be able to have as much fun as you guys did because there'll be a little bird on my shoulder telling me that we need to buy food next week :lol:

Do you mean it's not you cup of tea, or is it a bit too 'out there'? I usually love a good read about people with mental illnesses, I guess I feel I can relate. And there's a dog, which is always the best added bonus there is. I think I shall quite enjoy it, if I'm not mistaken it was Ruth who wrote a review about the book and she really liked it, and I trust her opinion on these sorts of books, she was the one who got me into The Art of Racing in the Rain, one of the best novels ever.

Yeah, I just mean that it sounds a bit... strange. But I won't let that put me off - I've put it on one of my Amazon Wish Lists and will definitely keep an eye out for it. :)

</Trundles off to look at The Art of Racing in the Rain...>

I would agree but Kylie has asked so prettily .. I can't refuse her. If we read him and hate him Frankie then you can barge into her blog and tell her what you are going to tell Goethe .. if he doesn't come up to snuff. I would do it but you're the one with the testosterone

:giggle2:

Thank you for considering McEwan! I am now, of course, terrified that you will both hate him. :(

I think it will be a weeny, weeny, small one because the place that it's being held in doesn't appear to be that big .. but who knows. I will try and get pics and yes, Alan is coming to scout around for me and carry back the books that I'm not supposed to be buying. My cousin is coming to tea (you know ... dinner but we'll be having it late afternoon) and so I am only at liberty to be there for a couple of hours at most unless she lets herself in and makes her own tea which frankly frankie :lol: might be rude.

:giggle: Ah, that Alan is a treasure all right. :)

I promise now, because you have asked so nicely that I won't discount him from any of my future book purchases and will try and read 'Atonement' sometime soon. I will probably become a mad convert then and buy up all of his others. Having a phobia about certain authors is my only way of saving money

I was that way about Pratchett for a long time, but I finally gave in and have now built up a pretty big Discworld collection now. I'm like you in that I'm a completist; I have to buy everything an author has ever written (sometimes I start doing this before I've even read a single book of theirs :rolleyes: ). Sometimes I wish I had never started reading more contemporary literature and just stuck to books by long-dead authors. At least then I would know that there would be a finite number of books I had to buy for each author!

I wouldn't say as yet that McEwan is among my favourite authors, but he's interesting enough that I will continue buying his books. I have a few more on my TBR pile and I think I'd like to read Solar next. It's supposed to be pretty humorous, which isn't something I've really noticed in his other books.

I'll never be able to have as much fun as you guys did because there'll be a little bird on my shoulder telling me that we need to buy food next week :lol:

Pfft, just flick the bird off your shoulder. I'll sic my kitty onto any birds that attempt to moderate my book-buying behaviour!

It's true, though, I think we do have differing taste in books. It's interesting to see how we can agree so much on other things except most books, which is probably a good thing because life would get pretty boring if we agreed on everything!

It's interesting but not a bad thing per se, it's not like we can help having different tastes and it's not like we both will stop liking each other and talking to each other because of that :D Books and politics, that's just not out common ground! And besides, the fact that we haven't had many similar reads so far doesn't mean that the situation won't ever change. And I did buy Bel Ami, and also have Water for Elephants on my TBR as well. So there is something, after all.

Mmm, well I'll let it slide for now, but I'm not going to forget this conversation! (OK, I probably will; you've had yet more evidence in the past few minutes of how bad my memory is!)

What do you mean you'll let it slide, I did promise to try one of his books! Just not in the near future :giggle: I did once borrow On Chesil Beach but had too many other books to read. And I also noticed on of his novels at a flea market today but it was in Finnish so didn't buy it. If he's so lyrical as you make him out to be, I should definitely read him in English, and I know there are many books of his at the library.

I'm not scared of you!

I'm sad to hear that, but I suppose it's a good thing, in the end :D

Now I've figured out your true identity, I realise that you were actually out on a hot date!! ..honestly fancy telling us you were there to talk about books .. do we look simple (don't answer that.)

Yes, you do look a bit simple :haha: It's been fun pulling you legs, fancy you didn't notice the pulling and tucking.

I've got it written down somewhere, I could easily type it up but where would be the best place to put it? (careful)

BCF is the short, general answer ;) Your reading blog and the 1001 Books challenge thread are the first options that come to mind. Don't put them in the quiz/jokes thread, people won't take you seriously.

I would agree but Kylie has asked so prettily .. I can't refuse her. If we read him and hate him Frankie then you can barge into her blog and tell her what you are going to tell Goethe .. if he doesn't come up to snuff. I would do it but you're the one with the testosterone

:D But apparently Kylie's not afraid of me, so it won't do! McEwan is still alive, I think, so no zombie action. But I'll promise to give Kylie the Goethe treatment if worse comes to worse. Do you think if we end up liking McEwan, we should go the opposite direction and thank her for showing us the light?

I think it will be a weeny, weeny, small one because the place that it's being held in doesn't appear to be that big .. but who knows. I will try and get pics and yes, Alan is coming to scout around for me and carry back the books that I'm not supposed to be buying. My cousin is coming to tea (you know ... dinner but we'll be having it late afternoon) and so I am only at liberty to be there for a couple of hours at most unless she lets herself in and makes her own tea which frankly frankie might be rude.

It doesn't matter if it's a smaller one, any kind of book fair is good fun in my book! (sorry, the pun is not very original but it was at least intended) Good for you that Alan's coming along, you'll have your hands free to go through the books and look at the blurbs. I think you could even buy him a book or two as a thank you :) BTW, is the book fair a charity thing or just a normal one? I wonder what the price range is. I think your cousin could make herself useful and make the tea and have it ready for when you and Alan come back :giggle: Is that very bad of me?

I hope you have a lot of fun! I'm sure you will :)

Yeah, I just mean that it sounds a bit... strange. But I won't let that put me off - I've put it on one of my Amazon Wish Lists and will definitely keep an eye out for it.

</Trundles off to look at The Art of Racing in the Rain...>

I hope you really like it if/when you get to reading it, but if you don't, just come back here and let me have it. I'll take it like a frankie.

Thank you for considering McEwan! I am now, of course, terrified that you will both hate him.

Oh, don't worry! As much as you were the one who finally persuaded me to give him a chance, I do have other reasons for trying his novels. The different challenges, and the fact that a lot of people seem to like his novels.

I went to a flea market today and was surprised to find some really great titles. I got these:

Kathy Reichs: Bare Bones (for my Temperance Brennan collection)

Joseph D. Pistone with Richard Woodley: Donnie Brasco - My Undercover Life in the Mafia

Philip Carlo : The Ice Man - Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer

Leicester Hemingway: My Brother Ernest Hemingway

I was so happy to find the Brennan book, and it's even in English! The Donnie Brasco book was on my wishlist, I'm not really into Mafia stories but it sounds interesting, and the other Mafia books was intriguing as well. There were at least 7 other Mafia books, someone must've had a thing for that sort of non-fiction, but has now gotten over it.

The last one, the Hemingway biography was a real find! I've just read The Sun Also Rises by him, and I really loved it and have been interested in all things Hemingway after that. And the book is actually written by Hemingway's brother, which I think is great. I'm sooo happy about finding this book!! :smile2:

I went to a flea market today and was surprised to find some really great titles. I got these:

Kathy Reichs: Bare Bones (for my Temperance Brennan collection)

Joseph D. Pistone with Richard Woodley: Donnie Brasco - My Undercover Life in the Mafia

Philip Carlo : The Ice Man - Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer

Leicester Hemingway: My Brother Ernest Hemingway

I was so happy to find the Brennan book, and it's even in English! The Donnie Brasco book was on my wishlist, I'm not really into Mafia stories but it sounds interesting, and the other Mafia books was intriguing as well. There were at least 7 other Mafia books, someone must've had a thing for that sort of non-fiction, but has now gotten over it.

The last one, the Hemingway biography was a real find! I've just read The Sun Also Rises by him, and I really loved it and have been interested in all things Hemingway after that. And the book is actually written by Hemingway's brother, which I think is great. I'm sooo happy about finding this book!! :smile2:

It's true, having differing tastes in books is not a bad thing. There are a couple we have in common, and you never know, our tastes may change in the future - you never know! Politics however, well, unless you have a change of heart some day, I'm afraid we'll always disagree! :P We'll have to have a nice debate some day.

Have you read a lot of Kathy Reichs' books, Frankie? I've only read her very first one and enjoyed it a lot. I know the TV show Bones is VERY loosely based on her books, but it's my favorite show and I could watch it every day if given the chance.

You'll have to let me know how the Brasco book is! It sounds fascinating, and have you seen the film, Donnie Brasco? Excellent cinema magic, I'm telling you! :D

Have you read a lot of Kathy Reichs' books, Frankie? I've only read her very first one and enjoyed it a lot. I know the TV show Bones is VERY loosely based on her books, but it's my favorite show and I could watch it every day if given the chance.

I've read the first 4 or 5 books and I really enjoyed them. I've already read Bare Bones, the one I got today but I want to collect the whole series and re-read the first ones before I move on to the new ones, someday :)

You'll have to let me know how the Brasco book is! It sounds fascinating, and have you seen the film, Donnie Brasco? Excellent cinema magic, I'm telling you! :D

I haven't seen the movie, in fact before buying the book today I confused it with Donnie Darko, or whatever it is. :blush: DB should be an interesting read though, I have high expectations :)

I got two books in the mail today, the other one is for a friend, and the other one is Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín, this month's reading circle book. Finally!

Oooh I forgot to respond before about you having Bel Ami and Water for Elephants on your TBR pile - excellent! :D Can't wait to hear what you think about them.

You should see the movie Donnie Brasco after you read the book, Frankie. It'd be interesting to see how it differs, plus the movie is excellent! I love Johnny Depp and Al Pacino in it.

Thank you for considering McEwan! I am now, of course, terrified that you will both hate him.

Please don't be :friends0: As Frankie has said and you have said before .. we make our own decisions and if we decide to read a book then it's down to us and if we hate it what does it matter? The sky won't cave in and the ground won't open up and swallow us (will it? :unsure: ) The charity shop will gain a new book that is all and what's more it's good to step outside the box and try things you never thought you would.

Ah, that Alan is a treasure all right.

Please, whatever you do, don't let him know that. If he thinks he's already in my good books he'll stop trying to get into them :D

I was that way about Pratchett for a long time, but I finally gave in and have now built up a pretty big Discworld collection now. I'm like you in that I'm a completist; I have to buy everything an author has ever written (sometimes I start doing this before I've even read a single book of theirs). Sometimes I wish I had never started reading more contemporary literature and just stuck to books by long-dead authors. At least then I would know that there would be a finite number of books I had to buy for each author!

My Discworld collection is all on disc! I haven't yet read a single book of his in it's entirety but I have about twenty of his audio's. For a long time I resisted buying his books because the covers were too busy for me (and the book's were too small) .. oh the shame :giggle: to ignore books because they will mess up your shelves .. it's a wonder I can sleep at night.

I wouldn't say as yet that McEwan is among my favourite authors, but he's interesting enough that I will continue buying his books. I have a few more on my TBR pile and I think I'd like to read Solar next. It's supposed to be pretty humorous, which isn't something I've really noticed in his other books.

Well the 1001 certainly backs you up, I think he has about eight books on there which is no mean achievement for a contemporary author ... Pratchett hasn't got any :eek:

Pfft, just flick the bird off your shoulder. I'll sic my kitty onto any birds that attempt to moderate my book-buying behaviour!

Ok Kylie, I hear and obey

Yes, you do look a bit simple :haha:

Gracious!! .. and I thought I was getting away with it.

BCF is the short, general answer. Your reading blog and the 1001 Books challenge thread are the first options that come to mind. Don't put them in the quiz/jokes thread, people won't take you seriously.

:P haha ... Ok then I will at some point stick my 1001 list on my bookblog with all it's random ticks and crosses.

But apparently Kylie's not afraid of me, so it won't do! McEwan is still alive, I think, so no zombie action. But I'll promise to give Kylie the Goethe treatment if worse comes to worse. Do you think if we end up liking McEwan, we should go the opposite direction and thank her for showing us the light?

Yes, we will owe her bigtime. We may even have to submit to being her slave for alternate months ... but you can go first and then I know what I'm in for :lol:

It doesn't matter if it's a smaller one, any kind of book fair is good fun in my book! (sorry, the pun is not very original but it was at least intended) Good for you that Alan's coming along, you'll have your hands free to go through the books and look at the blurbs. I think you could even buy him a book or two as a thank you BTW, is the book fair a charity thing or just a normal one? I wonder what the price range is. I think your cousin could make herself useful and make the tea and have it ready for when you and Alan come back Is that very bad of me?

I hope you have a lot of fun! I'm sure you will

Thanks Frankie, I'm sure I will.

Alan is weird in that he would rather look for books for me than for himself. He bought ONE book in Hay-on-Wye and I bought fifty something .. and that book was a non fiction book about Van Gogh. He thinks that I must know something after reading so many books and chatting on here for hours (how wrong can you be?) and he's determined to put that knowledge to use. So he looks for books I want, allows me to read them in peace and then asks me which one's I recommend for him. So far his favourite is probably 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' which he is so in love with that he has started a painting of it but he also loved 'City of Thieves' by David Benioff. He doesn't get half as much time as I do to read, he works incredibly long shifts (which is why I get a lot of reading done) but I'm proud of him because he does try to fit in some reading amongst the action movies, formula one and rock music.

I don't know if it's a charity bookfair or not, I hope it's not too expensive and I hope I find at least something that's on my list. Imagine coming home from a bookfair ... without books :(

It was bad of you to say that about my poor cousin, very bad indeed, but then again her bookshelves have got ornaments on and no books .. so punish her I say :lol:

Please, whatever you do, don't let him know that. If he thinks he's already in my good books he'll stop trying to get into them :D

Ahh, I've just learnt an important life lesson. Thank you o wise one *bows down to Poppyshake*.

Yes, we will owe her bigtime. We may even have to submit to being her slave for alternate months ... but you can go first and then I know what I'm in for :lol:

Frankie went first when she came here last year. Didn't you know that I made her my slave in return for board? Mwahaha! laugh.gif

So he looks for books I want, allows me to read them in peace and then asks me which one's I recommend for him. So far his favourite is probably 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' which he is so in love with that he has started a painting of it

Wow, that's amazing! And it's so sweet that he trusts your judgement so much that he lets you pick out books for him. smile2.gif

I hope I find at least something that's on my list. Imagine coming home from a bookfair ... without books :(

I have worried the same thing in the past, but after some experience I've learnt that it's just not possible for people like us! :D

Edited by Kylie

Ah, you devious women. What chance do we poor men have?