Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Linda, thank you for your lovely reply, frankie is blushing! :blush: It was an easy review to write in the way that I absolutely adored the book and didn't have one bad thing to say about it, and yet at the same time it was difficult to write because I felt I couldn't really do the book justice. I say people should just buy the book and read it! :smile2:

In answer to your queries... Calum's writing lesson was the sort of thing I used to do when I was a teacher and ran a Creative Writing club after school. The Timed Writing exercise is one that I learned from books about creative writing by the Buddhist Natalie Goldberg (WILD MIND and WRITING DOWN THE BONES.) I teach this exercise in writing workshops now and it goes down well with all ages and all abilities.

Thanks for clearing that for me! I think I might check those titles out someday, I'm interested in all the stuff that goes into writing and what really happens and what sort of techniques different people use.

As for the revelations... When my (then) teenage daughter was reading the book and she got to the bit you describe concerning Megan, she burst into tears with shock! So I do know what you mean. ;-)

I've read a fair share of detective novels and have come across such twists and turns that I'd like to think I'm a seasoned reader in that respect, but I was very much in the wrong :D It was something completely unexpected and it left me speechless for quite a while.

Frankie, what books are you taking on holidays? Please share the details before you leave! :)

Kylie, you're not going to believe me now, but I haven't had time to give that a thought! :huh: I still have time though. In a way I'm tempted to take along books that I don't mind getting rid of after reading, but then again, I'm taking the big-ass suitcase with me so I could pack anything I feel like reading. I know I'm bringing The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen, and the next novel in the series, The Bone Garden, but other than that I'm completely clueless. I'm a black canvas. Tabula rasa, if you will.

Oh wow Frankie, what a lovely reply from Linda :friends0:

Yes it is, isn't it? I'm still blushing! :giggle:

Edited by frankie

The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry 3/5

Lots of name dropping, mostly of people I know nothing about. I did recognise Ben Elton, Rowan Atkinson and Rik Mayall (accompanied by his friend, that Edmondson dude, and his wife, Jennifer Saunders). And oh of course Emma Thompson. Lots of TV shows which I've heard of but have never seen. Expected to read about Jeeves but I suppose it'll come later. There's a rather funny story about a fax machine. And a really annoying teaser at the end, which will definitely make me read the next autobiography. Good stuff.

This one's been sat looking at me from my shelf for a while now; since it was released, in fact. I read the previous volume of his autobiography Moab Is My Washpot, earlier this year, and found it absolutely fantastic. Stephen has one of those writing styles that is so wonderfully engaging, entertaining and highly amusing all at the same time. I read through it in no time, and found myself wanting to move straight onto The Fry Chronicles but due to time constraints I could not. Sounds like this one is just as good, so thanks for the comments prompting me to push it up the to-be-read pile.

Edited by Ben

Great review of Emotional Geology Frankie. Was my first of Linda Gillard I read and loved it too. Lovely reply from Linda, she always likes to follow on peoples thoughts of her books, such a lovely author.

Great review of Emotional Geology Frankie. Was my first of Linda Gillard I read and loved it too. Lovely reply from Linda, she always likes to follow on peoples thoughts of her books, such a lovely author.

Right I have definitely been missing out on this one, time to get to get Emotional Geology on the wishlist, it looks interesting and seems to be highly praised on here.

Yesterday I went to some secondhand bookshops and made a few great finds:

- Erich Segal: The Class (I'll read anything by Segal now)

- John Steinbeck: Travels with Charley (wohoo, a great author journeying through America with a dog, what's not to like?!)

- Natascha Kampusch: 3,096 Days (ever since I saw this book at a bookshop at the Heathrow airport, I've wanted to buy it. It was only 3e, and was on sale, so was actually only 2e, and it looks like a brand new book!)

Then I went to Akateeminen Kirjakauppa, the biggest bookshop in Finland, and spend some wonderful hours there. It's too expensive for me though, so I only browsed. Found Peter Carey's Bliss in the small 'great finds' section, it was 50% off so had to buy it.

Over all I'm very happy and I might do some more shopping today :smile2:

Great haul, Frankie! I look forward to seeing what you buy on your next outing. ;)

Me too :D I decided to throw my cautiosness in the wind and buy me a 24-hour metro ticket, which shall take me to this huge flea market in Myllypuro, the Vallila place I told you about, and some others :giggle2: As soon as I get my friend's laundry out to dry I'm off!

Hope you have a wonderful day of book shopping Frankie, I think that's one of everyone's favourite pastimes on here. :giggle:

Edited by Ben

Frankie made some excellent finds today!! :D

- Kate Atkinson: Case Histories (never read her, want to try)

- Fyodor Dostoyevsky: The Idiot

- Anne tyler: The Accidental Tourist

- Vikas Swarup: Q&A (I loved this book, so happy to have found a copy to own)

- Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (for only 50 cents!!! I've been wanting to find this for ages)

- John Knowles: A Separate Peace (a Rory read, hella cheap)

- Sharyn McCrumb: Bimbos of the Death Sun (I've been wanting to find this even before joining this forum, so a long time!)

- Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (wohoo! this is on a reading challenge or two)

The books mentioned above were all in English (!) and cost me only 7,50 euros.

The following books were all on sale, for 50 cents each:

- Mika Waltari: Suuri illusioni (Waltari was a great Finnish author, have never read any of his books, and have never bought any of them because they're hella expensive)

- Mika Waltari: Kuun maisema

- Mika Waltari: Johannes Angelos

- Aldous Huxley: Point Counter Point

- Maxim Gorki: Maailmalla

- Martti Kurjensaari: Syntynyt sivulliseksi

- Alicia Dujovne Ortiz: Evita

- Patricia Highsmith: Talented Mr Ripley (on a reading challenge)

- Ian Rankin: Hide & Seek

- Daphne du Maurier: The Parasites

- Roddy Doyle: A Star Called Henry

- Elizabeth Gaskell: North and South

- Nick Hornby: About a Boy

And I bought Vikas Swarup's Q&A and Markus Zusak's The Book Thief for my friend Sakari whose apartment I'm staying at while I'm in Helsinki.

Edited by frankie

Woohoo! Great hauls! I couldn't type properly before so didn't comment much on your earlier haul, but now I can...

Always the sign of a great writer.

- John Steinbeck: Travels with Charley (wohoo, a great author journeying through America with a dog, what's not to like?!)

I'm jealous! I'd love to read this.

- Natascha Kampusch: 3,096 Days (ever since I saw this book at a bookshop at the Heathrow airport, I've wanted to buy it. It was only 3e, and was on sale, so was actually only 2e, and it looks like a brand new book!)

I'm intrigued by this book. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Found Peter Carey's Bliss in the small 'great finds' section, it was 50% off so had to buy it.

Awesome! I bought this recently too. I think Marieke listed it as one of her favourite Carey novels (I have a feeling I also mentioned that when I bought it myself rolleyes.gif). Speaking of which, tonight I watched a re-run of what appeared to be the second ever episode of the First Tuesday Book Club. There were a couple of things said to and by Jason that you would love. I'll have to remember to send you a copy of the episode (they also reviewed The Shadow of the Wind in this ep!)

These two sound familiar but I don't know anything about them. Have others on the forum read them?

I plan on reading these two one day, but I'm mostly looking forward to The Idiot. I could probably take or leave Q&A (I suspect it's one of those books I'd buy at a book fair and not read for the next 10 years).

- Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (for only 50 cents!!! I've been wanting to find this for ages)

Yaaaaaay! I know how badly you've been wanting this. biggrin.gif And such a bargain!

Awesome. I have this on my TBR pile too (did I buy it when you were here?) Maybe we could read this together, along with all the others we have planned...

- Sharyn McCrumb: Bimbos of the Death Sun (I've been wanting to find this even before joining this forum, so a long time!)

Great title. mocking.gif What's it about?

- Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (wohoo! this is on a reading challenge or two)

Ah, excellent! I remember how desperately I wanted this book and how excited I was when D found it at the book fair. He was browsing for himself and I happened to see him putting it back and quickly grabbed it for myself. One of the best finds of that book fair. But of course, despite how badly I wanted it, I still haven't gotten around to actually reading it yet.

The books mentioned above were all in English (!) and cost me only 7,50 euros.

Bargains! And all in English! I'm so happy for you.

I have so many Huxleys on my TBR pile that I eventually had to get rid of a couple to save my sanity. I think this was one that I got rid of, mostly because it had a yucky cover and the writing on the spine faced the wrong way (I mean, come on, who does that?)

What's the name of this translated in English? Maxim Gorky is an author I've been interested in, but I think it's mostly just his name that intrigues me...

Ooh, yes. I'm pretty sure it's on the 1001. But don't quote me on that. I know Vintage have a lovely edition out of the sequel to this, but for some reason they don't have this one. :(

Excellent! I can imagine you were very happy with these finds.

Have you read About a Boy before and wanted your own copy, or is this a first-time read?

And I bought Vikas Swarup's Q&A and Markus Zusak's The Book Thief for my friend Sakari whose apartment I'm staying at while I'm in Helsinki.

Aww, that's very generous of you.

I think you should go book shopping in Helsinki and surrounds more often. ;)

Frankie made some excellent finds today!! :DFrankie definitely did :D

- Kate Atkinson: Case Histories (never read her, want to try) .. me either .. I've got Started Early Took My Dog .. but haven't read it yet .. am intrigued by her

- Fyodor Dostoyevsky: The Idiot .. very jealous, I want to read this. Hope it's as good as his others.

- Anne tyler: The Accidental Tourist .. yay Anne Tyler .. Liisa will be pleased, I've yet to read my Digging to America but I have high hopes.

- Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (for only 50 cents!!! I've been wanting to find this for ages) .. I want to read this too, almost picked it up in Hay but needed to eat that day :lol:

- Sharyn McCrumb: Bimbos of the Death Sun (I've been wanting to find this even before joining this forum, so a long time!) .. I know nothing about it but what a great title

- Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (wohoo! this is on a reading challenge or two) This has a great reputation (and title,) it's a must-read isn't it.

- Patricia Highsmith: Talented Mr Ripley (on a reading challenge) I liked the film a lot so I expect the book is even better.

- Daphne du Maurier: The Parasites Haven't heard of it but bound to be good, it's Daphne :D

- Roddy Doyle: A Star Called Henry Tough read, all about 'the troubles', very violent and funny in a dark way. I heard Roddy read it (on CD) possibly abridged though so the book is probably more in depth .. it's part of a trilogy isn't it?

- Elizabeth Gaskell: North and South I read this a long time ago and can't remember it much now .. a lot of books have passed under the bridge since then .. I know I liked it though.

- Nick Hornby: About a Boy I like reading Nick's books .. they relax me and make me laugh.

And I bought Vikas Swarup's Q&A and Markus Zusak's The Book Thief for my friend Sakari whose apartment I'm staying at while I'm in Helsinki. You really are a great friend :friends0:

- Ian Rankin: Hide & Seek

- Alicia Dujovne Ortiz: Evita

- Mika Waltari: Suuri illusioni (Waltari was a great Finnish author, have never read any of his books, and have never bought any of them because they're hella expensive)

- Mika Waltari: Kuun maisema

- Mika Waltari: Johannes Angelos

- Martti Kurjensaari: Syntynyt sivulliseksi

I don't know any of these, I definitely should read some Huxley and Gorki but hardly know where to start. Alan read 'Brave New World' once and didn't like it so I didn't bother to read it, if it was now (with the 1001 challenge and all) I would definitely read it regardless of his opinion but it went to the charity shop.

Your bookcase must be full now Frankie, have you added any new cardboard extensions? You had a lovely time and came home with a pile of books .. what could be nicer than that? :D

I'll reply to people's posts when I get back to Joensuu tomorrow, this laptop is a bit dodgy at times and it's difficult for me to type.

However, I have to mention that frankie been naughty again! :blush: She went to some secondhand bookshops today and ended up spending a lot of money, the secondhand bookshops being loads more expensive than the ones she went into yesterday. Well let's not worry about that, and let's just list the new purchases:

- Nick Hornby: Slam (in English! I haven't read this before, yay!)

- Arthur Golden: Memoirs of a Geisha (have been wanting to read this for a while now, and this copy was cheap)

- John Bayley: Elegy for Iris (it was cheapish)

- Alain de Botton: How Proust Can Change Your Life (I love this book, and it was only for 1e. It's in Swedish, it'll help me rejuvenite my Swedish skills :D)

- André Maurois: Marcel Proust (wohoo for finding this one! It was rather expensive, but I've been dying to read this book for a while, and it was in such great condition I couldn't resist)

- Diane Setterfield: The Thirteenth Tale (in English, now can give my Finnish copy to, for example, Liisa)

- Susan Hill: Mrs de Winter (was cheap, had to get it)

- Gelsey Kirkland & Greg Lawrence: Dancing on my Grave (this is such a nostalgic book for me, I had to get it. My brother was reading this book this one time when he was visiting us in Nurmes, I borrowed it and read about half of it, I really liked it but didn't manage to finish it. I've always wanted to find a copy of it so I can finally read it in full.)

That's definitely it for me, no more bookshopping for me!! :giggle2:

Kylie, the Maxim Gorki book is 'In the World' in English, it's the second book in his autobiographical trilogy. It works as a stand-alone book though.

However, I have to mention that frankie been naughty again!

:huh: I think you mean that Frankie has been very good today!

Speaking of Frankie, I can't help but notice lately that you never capitalise Frankie. Is it OK that I do? I know you must be doing it intentionally because your grammar is always impeccable. This means that I must have been writing it wrong all this time, but the editor in me says I must keep capitalising it. :blush:

- Nick Hornby: Slam

A Hornby that you haven't read. Cool!

- Arthur Golden: Memoirs of a Geisha

Excellent. This book is on my 'maybe one day...' list.

- Alain de Botton: How Proust Can Change Your Life

Sounds interesting! I better go and look this up. The author intrigues me too, for some reason.

- André Maurois: Marcel Proust

Is this a straight-up bio?

- Diane Setterfield: The Thirteenth Tale (in English, now can give my Finnish copy to, for example, Liisa)

Such a great book! I'm glad you have your very own English copy. I bet Liisa would like this book. :)

I seem to recall buying it for the same reason. And I seem to recall that a certain Frankie found it and made me buy it. ;)

Yeehaw!!! I loved that book, Frankie. Definitely in my list of top reads :D.

This one's been sat looking at me from my shelf for a while now; since it was released, in fact. I read the previous volume of his autobiography Moab Is My Washpot, earlier this year, and found it absolutely fantastic. Stephen has one of those writing styles that is so wonderfully engaging, entertaining and highly amusing all at the same time. I read through it in no time, and found myself wanting to move straight onto The Fry Chronicles but due to time constraints I could not. Sounds like this one is just as good, so thanks for the comments prompting me to push it up the to-be-read pile.

Fry is indeed very engaging, without having had to tone down his love for long and 'difficult' words :D There is something utterly fascinating and I confess, sexy, to the way he uses words and constructs sentences :blush: I have to warn you though, Ben, that it ends in a cliffhanger, and will leave you wanting to read the next book right away, and that, my friend, is utter frustration for you because as far as I know, the next book is still in the making. :(

Thanks Inver :smile2: It's really nice to know that the author of the book you've read likes to follow people's reviews and is sincerely interested in hearing what people have to say and will take the time to reply as well. It brings the author closer to the reader and it makes the reading experience a whole lot more enjoyable.

Right I have definitely been missing out on this one, time to get to get Emotional Geology on the wishlist, it looks interesting and seems to be highly praised on here.

The book definitely has a certain status on this forum, and quite rightly so! I hope you enjoy it :)

Always the sign of a great writer.

You'll get to at least one of his books some day, Love Story is on the Rory list *wink wink*

I'm jealous! I'd love to read this.

I confess, I sometimes have to remind myself that it's Steinbeck, not Hemingway! The two keep getting mixed up sometimes in my head, which is utterly frustrating because, well, it's blasphemy! And it's not like I haven't read anything by either of them. It's just their names. Like mixing Hideous Kinky with Kinky Friedman *rolling my eyes* A further confession: I'd rather the book was written by Hemingway who's made a bigger impact on me, but then again, I loved The Wayward Bus, Steinbeck rules. I hope you find a copy for yourself soon, I'll keep my eyes open as well.

I'm intrigued by this book. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

When I get to reading it you'll certainly be hearing about my thoughts, rest assured. Hehe, you couldn't avoid hearing my opinions on any one matter even if you wished *giggles*

Found Peter Carey's Bliss in the small 'great finds' section, it was 50% off so had to buy it.

Awesome! I bought this recently too. I think Marieke listed it as one of her favourite Carey novels (I have a feeling I also mentioned that when I bought it myself ). Speaking of which, tonight I watched a re-run of what appeared to be the second ever episode of the First Tuesday Book Club. There were a couple of things said to and by Jason that you would love. I'll have to remember to send you a copy of the episode (they also reviewed The Shadow of the Wind in this ep!)

Yes I remember you buying Bliss. We had that discussion about Marieke and Carey, and the other one that you couldn't remember was Illywhacker, and I only remembered it because it was such a weird word and I could never be sure if I heard it correctly. I miss watching FTBC with you! And I miss Marieke and Jason, but luckily I have the cure for that, thanks to you!

What was said to and by Jason?! I need immediate info :D Did Jason like The Shadow of the Window? I'm afraid I shall like him less if not.

These two sound familiar but I don't know anything about them. Have others on the forum read them?

I think at least Kate Atkinson has been mentioned here on the forum, I don't think I'd otherwise know of her. Anne Tyler's Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant was given favorable reviews on some other forum and has since been on my wishlist, and now Liisa has recommended her novels as well, so I'm not sure if I for one have been influenced by the forum when it comes to Tyler. When I told Sakari I'd bought TAT he started praising Tyler, so she should be good.

I plan on reading these two one day, but I'm mostly looking forward to The Idiot. I could probably take or leave Q&A (I suspect it's one of those books I'd buy at a book fair and not read for the next 10 years).

:o I must start raving about Q&A so you would read it. Honestly, it's a superb story in my opinion, very captivating and a real page turner. I read the book a few years ago and ever since then I've wanted to own a copy of it, so that should tell you something. I'd rather you read Q&A than The Idiot.

Yaaaaaay! I know how badly you've been wanting this. And such a bargain!

I knew you'd be very happy for me!! Whenever I find a book I've been dying to find and have talked to you about, I always think of you and think "I need to text Kylie!!" and then remember that's not possible. So I always have to wait til I get to the forum.

Awesome. I have this on my TBR pile too (did I buy it when you were here?) Maybe we could read this together, along with all the others we have planned...

Yep you bought it at that shop where you also bought Trainspotting and where I got Portable Dorothy Parker from. The one with the nice owner who'd visited Finland * coolio emoticon* I might be wrong, but I have this idea in my head that I found the book and was going to buy it, but I'd found too many and we were discussing how I couldn't haul all those books to Finland and then I gave up on this book and some others. And then you decided you'd buy it. Sound familiar?

Yes, we should add this to the list of books we can read together!

Kylie: Great title. What's it about?

poppyshake: .. I know nothing about it but what a great title

It's a memorable title, yes :lol: It's a mystery novel that takes place at a science fiction convention. One of the fantasy authors is being a real a-hole to everyone and ends up getting killed during the convention. Which leads to everybody buying all his books. Investigation will ensue. Somebody raved about the book on some other forum many years ago and I looked up the book on the internet and the premise of the book is so hilarious that I added it to my wishlist and have never forgotten about it.

Ah, excellent! I remember how desperately I wanted this book and how excited I was when D found it at the book fair. He was browsing for himself and I happened to see him putting it back and quickly grabbed it for myself. One of the best finds of that book fair. But of course, despite how badly I wanted it, I still haven't gotten around to actually reading it yet.

Hehe, you must've been sweating bullets, seeing him finding the title and contemplating buying it. I bet you had to use all your will-power to restain yourself from shouting out "don't buy it, I want it!"

I think it might take me some time too, to get to reading this book. I have a feeling it'll be a difficult read for me :(

I have so many Huxleys on my TBR pile that I eventually had to get rid of a couple to save my sanity. I think this was one that I got rid of, mostly because it had a yucky cover and the writing on the spine faced the wrong way (I mean, come on, who does that?)

I bought it mostly because I thought it might be on one of the lists (which is not the case *bleh* ) and because it was only 50 cents. Have you ever read any Huxleys?

What's the name of this translated in English? Maxim Gorky is an author I've been interested in, but I think it's mostly just his name that intrigues me...

I mentioned it earlier but in case you missed it, it's called In the World and is the second book in his autobiographical trilogy. I've never read anything by him but he's one of those authors that I've been wanting to try out.

Ooh, yes. I'm pretty sure it's on the 1001. But don't quote me on that. I know Vintage have a lovely edition out of the sequel to this, but for some reason they don't have this one.

That's a shame. Mine is the movie tie-in cover, which I hate. I'm going to read the book and then chuck it, whether I like it or not.

Excellent! I can imagine you were very happy with these finds.

YES!

Have you read About a Boy before and wanted your own copy, or is this a first-time read?

I've read it before, and it's one of my (three) favorites :)

Aww, that's very generous of you.

Not really, they were in the shop where everything was for 50 cents only. They were in perfect condition and I don't think me coming out of the charityshop without those two books was really a realistic option. But since I already own a copy of each in English, I was only too happy to spread the joy and pass them onto Sakari, who likes to lend people his books and will therefore be spreading the joy himself. He's the really generous one!

I think you should go book shopping in Helsinki and surrounds more often.

YES! LOL.

- Kate Atkinson: Case Histories (never read her, want to try) .. me either .. I've got Started Early Took My Dog .. but haven't read it yet .. am intrigued by her

Ah yes, I'd forgotten SETMD was written by her! Am still waiting for your thoughts on it *wink wink*

- Fyodor Dostoyevsky: The Idiot .. very jealous, I want to read this. Hope it's as good as his others.

It was for 1e only, I thought it was blasphemy. You should easily find a cheap Oxford or Penguin copy though, so no reason for jealousy!

- Anne tyler: The Accidental Tourist .. yay Anne Tyler .. Liisa will be pleased, I've yet to read my Digging to America but I have high hopes.

The friend whose apartment I was staying in Helsinki, Sakari, fully recommended Anne Tyler as well, so we can now be more sure of liking her. And have greater expectations. And possibly be more disappointed! :giggle2: At least we now have more people to blame!

- Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (for only 50 cents!!! I've been wanting to find this for ages) .. I want to read this too, almost picked it up in Hay but needed to eat that day

Eating is so overrated! LOL.

- Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (wohoo! this is on a reading challenge or two) This has a great reputation (and title,) it's a must-read isn't it.

Great reputation, and is featured on some reading challenges, but like I told Kylie already, I'm seriously intimidated by this one, I fear it'll go straight over my head, without even touching my hair. I should hold the copy over my head on windy days, I'd have an impeccable hairdo!! Forget L'Oreal, buy a copy of DADoES :lol:

- Patricia Highsmith: Talented Mr Ripley (on a reading challenge) I liked the film a lot so I expect the book is even better.

I thought the film was a bit boring at times until I got to the ending, what a great plot! For some reason, though, I'm not expecting much from the novel. For some reason I have this notion Patricia Highsmith isn't the sort of author I'll like, but then again I've read nothing by her so I can't base any of that on personal experience.

- Daphne du Maurier: The Parasites Haven't heard of it but bound to be good, it's Daphne

Yes!

- Roddy Doyle: A Star Called Henry Tough read, all about 'the troubles', very violent and funny in a dark way. I heard Roddy read it (on CD) possibly abridged though so the book is probably more in depth .. it's part of a trilogy isn't it?

I liked the blurb, I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Eventhough people have been raving about Doyle since I mentioned I'd bought The Woman who Walked into Doors I haven't been that into checking his novels out. Now I'm a bit put off, if it's really a part of a trilogy, shite!

- Elizabeth Gaskell: North and South I read this a long time ago and can't remember it much now .. a lot of books have passed under the bridge since then .. I know I liked it though.

I have some qualms about this, because if I remember correctly, it's about the industrial revolution and I'm not expecting to be very intrigued by it... But it's a Gaskell, I had to buy it. She's one of those authors I've never read, but expect to really enjoy, because I've seen so many TV adaptations of her novels. I think she's very underrated and will always be left in the shadow of Austen. And that's really saying a lot, since I haven't read anything by her, like I said, LOL.

- Nick Hornby: About a Boy I like reading Nick's books .. they relax me and make me laugh.

Agreed! And this is one of my (three) favorites by Hornby. Wohoo!

I don't know any of these, I definitely should read some Huxley and Gorki but hardly know where to start. Alan read 'Brave New World' once and didn't like it so I didn't bother to read it, if it was now (with the 1001 challenge and all) I would definitely read it regardless of his opinion but it went to the charity shop.

Like I said to Kylie, I bought the Huxley because I thought it might be on one of the lists but as it turns out, it is not. Now I'm not very keen on reading it but might as well give it a go. Too bad Alan didn't like Brave New World, it's one of those books I'd like to like.

Your bookcase must be full now Frankie, have you added any new cardboard extensions? You had a lovely time and came home with a pile of books .. what could be nicer than that?

I was afraid someone would ask me that... as a matter of fact, because the weather was rubbish yesterday and I skipped celebrating Midsummer Eve, I spent the evening re-organising my bookcases and shelves, and I did have a really hard time getting everything into place. And yes, I had to add a new cardboard box to my bedroom library. Coincidentally, it's the box in which you sent me those bookswap books, so thank you for that as well :D It's perfect for all my Rory and 1001 Books related small paperback copies!

Hope you enjoy Memoirs of a Geisha Frankie, it was my favourite read of last year!

I'll echo Laura, Memoirs of a Geisha is a fabulous read, so good I've read it twice, and I don't do that often!!

Good to hear people have liked the book! :D The geisha the book was based on was not very thrilled about the outcome though, and I think she wrote her own original memoir after that, and it's featured on the August 2011 Reading Circle nominations :wink: If you're interested, you might want to go and second the novel.

I haven't read any Proust before, but always wanted too; any idea where I should start?

Sorry Ben, I have no idea! I've never read anything by Proust :blush: I became fascinated by him (more him as a person than his books) when I read Alain de Botton's How Proust Can Change Your Life. He had such a different kind of life. So really I don't know what you should read by Proust first, but I think some people would reckon you should go with Swann's Way, which is a part of his Remembrance of Things Past, the enormous book. Or start with the de Botton.

I think you mean that Frankie has been very good today!

I like your way of thinking!

Speaking of Frankie, I can't help but notice lately that you never capitalise Frankie. Is it OK that I do? I know you must be doing it intentionally because your grammar is always impeccable. This means that I must have been writing it wrong all this time, but the editor in me says I must keep capitalising it.

I don't capitalize 'frankie' because it's not my real name, as simple as that. And yes, it's been intentional, I'm sorry to say: it would be more hilarious if I was dyslexic only when regarding my username :D I've noticed that you always use the capital letter and I've been wondering why, but now I know. Don't worry, it's all good, frankie of Frankie, capitalize it all you want!

I wonder if I can capitalize on that...

:giggle2: What a bad joke!! Lolerai would be ashamed.

- Nick Hornby: Slam

A Hornby that you haven't read. Cool!

Indeed! However I just finished it this morning, so once again I've read all my Hornbys :(

- Arthur Golden: Memoirs of a Geisha

Excellent. This book is on my 'maybe one day...' list.

Hm, that's a new list. "Maybe one day to be moved to wishlist"-list? :lol:

- Alain de Botton: How Proust Can Change Your Life

Sounds interesting! I better go and look this up. The author intrigues me too, for some reason.

I reckon you'd enjoy it very much :yes:

- André Maurois: Marcel Proust

Is this a straight-up bio?

I think it is, and it also takes a look at Remembrance of Things past. Biography meets literary studies.

Such a great book! I'm glad you have your very own English copy. I bet Liisa would like this book.

If she has any good taste she will ;)

I seem to recall buying it for the same reason. And I seem to recall that a certain Frankie found it and made me buy it.

:giggle: I like this Frankie person you keep talking about!

Yeehaw!!! I loved that book, Frankie. Definitely in my list of top reads.

It is an excellent one, isn't it! And it made me read Wilkie Collins's The Woman in White which I also enjoyed.

Fry is indeed very engaging, without having had to tone down his love for long and 'difficult' words :D There is something utterly fascinating and I confess, sexy, to the way he uses words and constructs sentences :blush: I have to warn you though, Ben, that it ends in a cliffhanger, and will leave you wanting to read the next book right away, and that, my friend, is utter frustration for you because as far as I know, the next book is still in the making. :(

Awwh, shucks! I will have to deliberate whether to read it soon and vent my frustration at wanting to read the next, or bide my time patiently, wait for the next one, and read them both after each other. It's not like I don't have any other books waiting to read. :giggle:

Sorry Ben, I have no idea! I've never read anything by Proust :blush: I became fascinated by him (more him as a person than his books) when I read Alain de Botton's How Proust Can Change Your Life. He had such a different kind of life. So really I don't know what you should read by Proust first, but I think some people would reckon you should go with Swann's Way, which is a part of his Remembrance of Things Past, the enormous book. Or start with the de Botton.

It's okay Frankie, it's actually from Gilmore Girls that I suddenly got an urge to read Proust, after Lorelai and Max had discussed him before. I think he says something along the lines of 'everyone should read some Proust.' Thanks for the suggestions anyway, I'll see what I can check out.

Edited by Ben

Jänet, that's so nice of you, but are you sure you want to part ways with the book? And could I please send you something in return? You can check out my book swap thread, but I'm afraid I don't have that many English titles to offer yet. Unless you're interested in The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas? I'm going to add that to the list, I got a copy of that from my friend yesterday, as a belated Birthday present, she'd gotten the copy for me in December but we haven't had a chance to meet until now and I'd already bought a copy of my own, so now I have two copies.

Hi Frankie - I'm so sorry, but I missed this post. I started re-reading it last night. Although I remember bits of it and I know how it ends, I'm enjoying it second time round, so that's good as I seldom re-read books.

I really don't want/need you to send me anything in return though - it would be my pleasure to send it to you. :)

I have quite a large To Read pile (maybe not as large as some people's) which is intimidating me somewhat, so I'm trying not to bring in any new books at the moment. :giggle2:

My reading always slows down in the summer so it may be a few weeks before I finish it!

Awwh, shucks! I will have to deliberate whether to read it soon and vent my frustration at wanting to read the next, or bide my time patiently, wait for the next one, and read them both after each other. It's not like I don't have any other books waiting to read. :giggle:

Hehe, I think in the end it's all good whether you decide to read it now or later :smile2: Just don't tell us nobody warned you when you curse the lack of the sequel! :D

It's okay Frankie, it's actually from Gilmore Girls that I suddenly got an urge to read Proust, after Lorelai and Max had discussed him before. I think he says something along the lines of 'everyone should read some Proust.' Thanks for the suggestions anyway, I'll see what I can check out.

That's alright, I fully understand. I remember the episodes in which Proust was referred to, Max does make it sound like everybody should just go ahead and read it. And what a beautiful copy he had! Proust has a reputation of writing very, very long sentences, that go all over the place. When I found my copy of Remembrance of Things Past 1, I read the first few pages and to my surprise, it wasn't that bad at all. It was very lyrical in my opinion.

Hi Frankie - I'm so sorry, but I missed this post. I started re-reading it last night. Although I remember bits of it and I know how it ends, I'm enjoying it second time round, so that's good as I seldom re-read books.

That's alright, I thought you might have missed it but didn't feel like pressing on. I'm glad you are enjoying your re-read. And if you don't want The Slap in return and just want to send me the book, I guess I can only say that you are welcome to it and thank you so much! :) I don't think you have my details, do you?

Hehe, I think in the end it's all good whether you decide to read it now or later :smile2: Just don't tell us nobody warned you when you curse the lack of the sequel! :D

That's alright, I fully understand. I remember the episodes in which Proust was referred to, Max does make it sound like everybody should just go ahead and read it. And what a beautiful copy he had! Proust has a reputation of writing very, very long sentences, that go all over the place. When I found my copy of Remembrance of Things Past 1, I read the first few pages and to my surprise, it wasn't that bad at all. It was very lyrical in my opinion.

I won't. :giggle:

Ah that sounds actually like I would enjoy it very much; might have to have a look around for a copy sometime.