Liz's 2007 Book List

Liz

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Salmon Of Doubt is a great book for anyone who likes Douglas Adams.

The first half of it is different essays from Adams about all sorts of things - his life, his computers, his thoughts on tea, etc. Then there is a short Zaphod story and an unfinished Dirk Gently story as well in the second half of the book. All in all, a great collection of Adams' writing, and a book that kept me chuckling away to myself all the way through.

Next...........

MOAB IS MY WASHPOT

Stephen Fry

Stephen Fry's biography was an excellent little read. However, it did only cover the first 20 years of his life and takes him up to being accepted at Cambridge University, so if you were wanting to read about his career I suppose we'll have to wait and see whether he writes another book. I for one would certainly read it.

Next............

THE SECRET OF ANNEXE 3

Colin Dexter

Chief Inspector Morse seldom allowed himself to be caught up in New Year celebrations. So the murder inquiry in the festive hotel had a certain appeal. It was a crime worthy of the season. The corpse was still in fancy dress. And hardly a single guest at the Haworth had registered under a genuine name...

Brideshead Revisited - Really enjoyed reading this one. Waugh writes in such a beautiful way. The main reason why I loved the book was way the reader was allowed to see how, over a number of years, the friendships within the group of main characters change (especially Ryder's relationship with Sebastian's family) and also how each individual changes. There were some wonderful characters in the book and a couple of very comical scenes, i.e., how Ryder's father treats his guests. This was brilliant book. :D

Next......

FIRST AMONG SEQUELS

Jasper Fforde

The fifth book in the Thursday Next series continued in the unique and fun storytelling style which I've found the previous books to be in. I've really enjoyed all of these books, but I think this one has been one of the better stories.

Next......

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

Harper Lee

I thought To Kill A Mockingbird was an amazing book!

However, it did take me a while to get into it. The first 80 pages or so just didn't get me hooked onto it, and I did start to wonder whether this was a book which I would not enjoy and was simply not the book for me. After that little block, though, I suddenly realised that I was beginning to really enjoy this book. By the end of it, I absolutely loved it. This is definitely one of the best books I have read.

I thought the book was brilliant in showing the prejudice black people faced and how unfairly they have been treated. One of my favourite scenes from the book was when Scout's teacher is telling the class about how Germany is a dictatorship, wheras they, America, are a democracy, and how it is because of this that the Jews were being persecuted in Germany. This lesson comes after......

the case when the verdict has been decided, and she then goes on to tell the children, 'Over here, we don't believe in persecuting anybody. Persecution comes from people who are prejudice.'

It was just a brilliant book. :)

I'm so glad you enjoyed To Kill A Mockingbird Liz. This is one of my absolute favourite books. If you haven't already seen the 1962 movie with Gregory Peck, I would highly recommend it. It's about as faithful an adaptation of a book as you'll see anywhere.

I'm so glad you enjoyed To Kill A Mockingbird Liz. This is one of my absolute favourite books. If you haven't already seen the 1962 movie with Gregory Peck, I would highly recommend it. It's about as faithful an adaptation of a book as you'll see anywhere.

Hi, Kylie. :lol:

I've seen some parts of the film, but not all of it. I really would like to watch it now, though. :)

I read Mocking bird not that long ago too. Thought it was the well deserved classic it deserves to be. Recently bought the DVD in a sale too....must get around to watching it.

Really enjoyed Men At Arms. The City Watch are some of my favourite characters from Discworld.

I think I shall now read a book which my elder sister has lent me....

THE LITTLE PRINCE

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

'The Little Prince' is a classic tale of equal appeal to children and adults. On one level it is the story of an airman's discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet - the Little Prince of the title - and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition.

The Little Prince was a lovely little story. I thought that some parts of the story really gave you something to think about (especially the drunkard).

Next......

THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY (re-read)

Oscar Wilde

I thought I'd re-read one of my favourite books. I loved this book from the moment I read the first chapter, so this will be a beautiful little read for the end of summer. :D

The Little Prince was a lovely little story. I thought that some parts of the story really gave you something to think about (especially the drunkard).

I recently read this one (borrowed off Purple Poppy) and enjoyed its simplicity and depth. I was also pleasantly surprised while reading Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde, when The Little Prince was mentioned several times - I knew exactly what Fforde was saying and was glad I'd read it. Strangely, I'd never heard of it before Purple Poppy brought it to my attention!

THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY (re-read)

Oscar Wilde

I really enjoyed that this year.

Really enjoyed Men At Arms. The City Watch are some of my favourite characters from Discworld.

My bf likes the city watch books best too. I read the first 6 or 7 discworld books in my late teens/early twenties (over a decade ago) and have been tempted to read some more now. I will focus on the city watch ones, starting with Guards Guards.

The little Prince sounds fab too. I might have to add it to the TBR pile.

Strangely, I'd never heard of it before Purple Poppy brought it to my attention!

I had heard of it before I read it, but the only reason why I decided to pick it up and give it a go was because my sister had bought it for a pound in a cheap bookshop and wanted to know what it was like, and so gave it to me to read.

The little Prince sounds fab too. I might have to add it to the TBR pile.

It is a good little book, and it's not very long at all, so it's a nice quick read.

I recently read this one (borrowed off Purple Poppy) and enjoyed its simplicity and depth. I was also pleasantly surprised while reading Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde, when The Little Prince was mentioned several times - I knew exactly what Fforde was saying and was glad I'd read it. Strangely, I'd never heard of it before Purple Poppy brought it to my attention!

I love Le Petit Prince, it is the one book every French kid knows by heart. I've hear it as long as I can remember. And I still have my first copy of the book. I had to get a new one few years back, as the old one could handle he constant re-reads. It's like Winnie-the-Pooh in that it has all the answers, only much better! (naturally I've been ruined by the national propaganda and subjectivity)

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh, I haven't updated this for a little while.

FRANKENSTEIN - Really enjoyed this early horror book. I liked the writing style; even though it's an older book the language didn't really strike me as feeling that old. It had some interesting points to think about, i.e., just because something is possible, does that mean it should be done?

THE UNCOMMON READER - Very short but very good. It's a nice little book with some funny moments thrown in. I thought the idea of the story was very fun. A good book to fill an hour or so.

THE WENCH IS DEAD - A slightly different Morse mystery this time. The mystery this time being a past crime which Morse reads about, thinks that the verdict was wrong, and so sets out to find the truth. Not one of my favourite Morse books, but it was still good.

Next............

MEN WITHOUT WOMEN

Ernest Hemingway

This is a book of short stories:

- The Undefeated

- In Another Country

- Hills Like White Elephants

- The Killers

- Che Ti Dice La Patria?

- Fifty Grand

- A Simple Enquiry

- Ten Indians

- A Canary for One

- An Alpine Idyll

- A Pursuit Race

- To-day Is Friday

- Banal Story

- Now I Lay Me

My feelings towards Men Without Women are slightly mixed after reading it. Some of the stories were great - it's true what they say about him, Hemingway has the ability to capture little moments in time and emotions in only a few pages.

Some of the stories, though, were not really my cup of tea and I didn't enjoy them as much as others within the book.

Next.......

THE PRINCESS BRIDE

William Goldman

• 2 weeks later...

Aww, I loved The Princess Bride. :)

It is such a lovely fairy tale. The characters were brilliant, especially Fezzik. I also enjoyed the sections on the characters' histories. This has been one of my favourite books of the year so far. I am definitely keeping this one to read again someday.

Next......

THE HIPPOPOTAMUS

Stephen Fry