Louise's Books 2007

Louiseog

I have two of his (London and Sarum) that I have owned for ages, but have yet to read. Good to hear something positive about his books - it may motivate me to get cracking on them. :lol:

Those are two that I have read, and I loved them. The scope is amazing, comparative to James Michener.

I have the Ireland series, yet to be read.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I'll definitely be reading them sometime soon. I've had them for years, but just never got around to it. :lol: I tried reading one of James Michener's books - I think it was Chesapeake - but I just couldn't get into it. It just seemed like a series of short stories set in one geographical area. That's what put me off. I had no interest in reading all these details about a character, knowing that they weren't going to be mentioned again. :D

^I'll definitely be reading them sometime soon. I've had them for years, but just never got around to it. :lol: I tried reading one of James Michener's books - I think it was Chesapeake - but I just couldn't get into it. It just seemed like a series of short stories set in one geographical area. That's what put me off. I had no interest in reading all these details about a character, knowing that they weren't going to be mentioned again. :D

I've read Hawaii and Centenial by Michener and enjoyed them throughly. I particularly appreciated the way JM begins with the formation of the land itself, and then the animals that inhabit that land, and then the humans come in....

I haven't tried Chesapeake so don't know if it is the same difference or not.

There was one of his I tried and could not get into, but can't remember the name.....The Source, that was it. Didn't care for that.

To find that last name I Googled, and I had no idea he'd written so many!! James Michener

Have put Michener on my wishlist!

I did find the Ireland ones very interesting. Its such a small country that all the interlinking worked well (as it did with his other books)

Miranda's Big Mistake Jill Mansell, easy story, good fun but did feel like three stories nailed together! (or that she had to write a certain length of book and had to pad a bit)

Crow Stone Jenni Mills

Ami McKay The Birth House

I loved this book set in the first world war in Canada, about a woman who is learning to be a midwife and her battles with a doctor and his modern methods of childbirth, whether a modern world is the best place to be. Lovely characters who engaged me and made me feel I was in a place which was real.

Arsenic Labyrinth Martin Edwards

Enjoyed Aresenic Labyrinth, a mystery/thriller set in the Lakes, nothing too taxing or gory exactly what I needed

The Judith Cutler Chinese Takeaway, easy mystery/thriller set in the Cotswolds hmm could be in a rut !

have Cold Granite on bedside table but not sure whether am in the mood yet.

Have started a thread about this, great.

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief Rick Riordan. Librarian at work was raving about this. I was on a cover in the library and read first few chapters and was hooked. Then got it out (and the next two in the series) and although it was great I was expecting it to be Harry Potter and just reminded me of how fab HP is (and Artemis Fowl)

Know Kell has reviewed it and would echo her comments. think Tiger would like it as it has lots of Greek references.

Jojo Moyles The Silver Bay good start

Yes, I've read the first two Percy Jackson books - they were great fun to read. :jump:

Did check your reviews before I started!

Then read Barry Maitland book, Babel which was about a police investigation into a murder, Ruth Rendellish.

Crimson Petal and the White now, jumping in.