Louise's Books 2007

Louiseog

Finished Skin Gods, fantastic loved this one!

Am starting Nicholas Sparks The Notebook.

Finished it now (it was very short) but left me cold, someone I know raved about it really said it was great and it touched no emotion in me at all! no I tell a lie, they cooked some crabs and I felt hungry!

LOL!! :) I bought The Notebook because i absolutely love the film, but just found it dull and boring. I was so disappointed. I can't believe they even bothered to make a film from it, although I'm glad they did.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL!! :D I bought The Notebook because i absolutely love the film, but just found it dull and boring. I was so disappointed. I can't believe they even bothered to make a film from it, although I'm glad they did.

You see that sort of criticism makes me want to read it.

Maybe there is a market for really really bad books that will spread this way. Lord knows if there is a man up to the task then it's me!

You see that sort of criticism makes me want to read it.

Maybe there is a market for really really bad books that will spread this way. Lord knows if there is a man up to the task then it's me!

All the best! As I said the crab cooking bit was good

Liked the Eoin Colfer one. Probably aimed at a slightly younger audience than Artemis Fowl (which I love) but well plotted and fun.

Then read Carole Matthews 'Welcome to the Real World' Good fun but a bit sad at the end I thought.

Now Alice Hoffmann The Ice Queen.

Alex Kava, At the Stoke of Madness am getting into this author but this was not her best. Thriller about serial killer short and not much changing in the whole story.

Paul Carson Cold Steel another thriller set in Dublin read his first last month and swapped for this one. Getting quite thrilling!

Was good but need a break from thrillers

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox loved this one have posted in the correct place.

Ian Sansom Mr Dixon Disappears second in the mobile library series and enjoyed the first one, North London Jewish librarian ends up in mobile library in northern ireland. Have heard comments that it stereotypes the Irish but I think the North London sophisticate who is beaten by them and he is the one learning to be a better person from them (I think!) It is funny anyway

Enjoyed Carry me Down can't really describe it but the story was clear and carried me along here is the Amazon synopsis and think I agree!

John Egan is a misfit, 'a twelve-year old in the body of a grown man with the voice of a giant who insists on the ridiculous truth'. With an obsession for the "Guinness Book of Records" and faith in his ability to detect when adults are lying, John remains hopeful despite the unfortunate cards life deals him. During one year in John's life, from his voice breaking, through the breaking-up of his home life, to the near collapse of his sanity, we witness the gradual unsticking of John's mind, and the trouble that creates for him and his family. Set in early seventies Ireland, "Carry Me Down" is a deeply sympathetic take on one sad boyhood, told in gripping, and at times unsettling, prose. It plays out its tragic plot against a disarmingly familiar background and refuses to portray any of its lovingly drawn characters as easy heroes or villains.

Anyway Drowning People next. OH has taken middley to see Spiderman 3 and littley is watching Peter Pan (again)

Changed my mind and reading a light mystery by Judith Cutler

Finshed The Food Detective which I loved - I do enjoy Agatha raisin and Simon Brett and this presses all the buttons that they do.

Now Carla Banks Forest of the Souls, another goody! nearly finished its about Belorussia in the war and secrets but its a thriller too well thought out and clever