Cricket

Kylie

I caught the breakthrough wicket last night, which I thought happened just before the end of play, but evidently I missed at least couple of other wickets? :o

I think Smith caught everyone by surprise.  He sure was getting some revs on the ball! :o

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five-wicket haul. :) A little gratified to see that Australia isn't the only team that wastes reviews (didn't England learn from our last performance?) I thought it was a bit unnecessary to review that last wicket. The tail had well and truly done its job and England had posted a very respectable score, so I thought they could have saved that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just dropping in to say that I think the English supporters in this test are absolutely appalling. I have never heard such unsportsmanlike behaviour from a crowd before. So Warner decked one of your cricketers...he has been punished for it and it is time to move on. Is he to be booed by the English crowds at every single test for the rest of his career? My blood boils every time I hear them booing.

But it works both ways, Kylie.  I've heard the Australian fans booed Broad when he's come onto the pitch after he didn't walk when the umpire didn't give him out.  In fact, they even booed Jimmy Anderson when he came out on to the pitch as night watchman as they thought Broad was coming out instead.  They're obviously lower in numbers away from home which probably makes the Warner booing seem more obvious, but I've been watching a lot of this series live on television and I'm sure I've heard it from the Australian fans too.

Edited by chesilbeach

That doesn't make it OK, Chesil. I don't condone booing from anyone, but Australian fans won't be booing Broad and friends from here till eternity. I stand by my point. It's appalling. I don't understand why the commentators (including Australian commentators) laugh it off; they should be condemning it. Cricket is supposed to be a gentleman's sport. Anyway, if they must boo, boo once; Warner has got the point by now that he's hated. Why continue it? It's disgusting. I'm rather surprised you're defensive of it.

I'm didn't say I was defending it, but your post was aimed directly at the England supporters, and I just pointed out that it's both sets of fans who have been booing.  It's not the first time I've heard booing at test matches both at home and abroad, including some home players being booed by their own supporters, and I doubt it will be the last.  From every article I've read about it, all say that in this instance, they think Warner has become the pantomime villain of this series, and that he's relishing being give that role, but that like any player, when he walks out on the pitch, he's focused on the match.  I think the commentators all see it as the crowd being involved in the game, and to use the comparison again, they think it's like the audience participation of a pantomime, and that's why they laugh it off.

I still believe that cricket is the most gentlemanly of sports, but it also now a professional sport and that's why we see things like Broad not walking when clearly out.  There was an outrage about sledging a few years back, but this still happens, and that's hardly sportsmanlike either.

Anyway, I'm just saying how I see it, not defending either side, and to be honest, I often watch it with the sound off so that I can read, and just look up to keep an eye on the score, so perhaps I just haven't noticed it as much as you. :D

Edited by chesilbeach

I think Warner is the pantomime villain in the eyes of most supporters rather than hated but I do agree, I find booing in cricket to be in poor taste. He did aim a punch at Root though and that is something which won't be forgotten for a while by English cricket fans. Booing is ungentlemanly but so it taking a swing at someone regardless of whether they are punished or not. It's made worse by the fact that Root looks like an innocent 12 year old and not some gnarly old timer.

That was a fantastic test match as it was so close throughout. At several points across the 4 days I thought that either side had the upper hand and with Australia at 101 for 0 and 151 for 2 this evening I thought England had lost the chance to win the match. Broad is such a frustrating bowler, he has incredible spells like today and then other times when he is rather flat. I can't help but feel for Harris who has consistently been probably the best bowler overall and for Lyon who I thought bowled very well.

Well, that was totally not worth staying up all night for. :( We had such a great start and completely blew it. I feel for our openers, who made such a great effort, only to be let down by the rest of the team (I know there are other factors at play in the loss, but it's hard to overlook the batting collapse).

• 2 weeks later...

Australian fans won't be booing Broad and friends from here till eternity. I stand by my point. It's appalling.

Darren Lehmann has been actively encouraging Aussie fans to do otherwise . . .

Triple M presenter: "The big news is that idiot Broad has finally come out and admitted what we knew, that it came off the centre. He's admitted he's done it on the eve of the Test after they've won the Test series, is he going to cop a bit of action when he comes to the crease?"

Lehmann: "He's been copping it all series, mate. I expect it will continue for a long time yet and I would hope the public get stuck into him when he gets out to Australia. I hope he whinges a lot."

Presenter: "I can't wait. He won't want to be fielding on the third man boundary, I reckon."

Lehmann: "The whole of Australia can help there, which I'm looking forward to."

You'd think at least the coaches would try and set an example  :rolleyes:

I'm glad Clarke declared when he did, even though it now looks like we'll lose. He is forcing England to pick up the pace and play some good, interesting cricket (sorry everyone, but England with its 'go slow' tactics has produced some of the most boring cricket I've ever seen in my life). I'm disappointed that England only ever seem to play to draw rather than win. I think it shows a distinct lack of confidence in their own abilities (why not play to win? They're clearly the better team in this contest.) I'm glad Clarke is forcing a result.

Didn't England win? Oh, I just saw a story about bad light. I got distracted and started watching something else, so I missed the end. I really don't think the Aussie press will care that much about Clarke's decision. We'd lost the entire series anyway. In fact, I just checked two major news sites, and they have described his declaration as 'bold' and 'brave'.