Cricket

Kylie

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Paradise is the word you're looking for, Roland, m'dear. :wink: Have you ever been to Port Arthur, Roland? Amazing place. It's so beautifully scenic that it's hard to believe all the atrocities that have happened there over the years. Very eerie.

Knowing what little I do about convicts and the way they were treated, I would argue that the 'honest' men who came over with them were far more crooked than the poor buggers who stole a bit of bread to feed their families and were transported to the other side of the world for it. :(

I work in what is probably Australia's first street. From my desk I look straight out the window at Parliament House and the hospital that convicts were sent to when they were battered by the honest men at Hyde Park Barracks (just out of my line of sight). Our 200+ year old buildings probably don't sound very impressive when you have such ancient buildings and history in your own country, but it impresses me. :blush:

Thus concludes today's history lesson.

I have been to Hyde Park Barracks, Kylie. It was pretty grim. Mind you, later that day I went to watch Manly play Parramatta, and that was even grimmer ...

It's easy to improve when you've had such a bad start, the only way to go is up!

And the only way for England to go was down. And they haven't recovered all these years later!

If Australia's such a paradise why are most of them over here working in our pubs? :lol:

Karsa, they're our bogans. We're only too happy to get rid of them. wink.gif

I have been to Hyde Park Barracks, Kylie. It was pretty grim. Mind you, later that day I went to watch Manly play Parramatta, and that was even grimmer ...

giggle.gif

• 1 month later...

Seems to be going well at Lords, just now . . . [/jinx]

Since you posted that we've dropped a catch and Billy Bowden's missed the most obvious lbw I've ever seen :doh::lol:

But we have just taken number 7 :D

A good win for England, pegging India to under 300 in each innings AND declaring twice as well.

Was very impressive to watch; I thought we played excellently all match.

Dominant performance from England in this test match against the best team in the world. KP had a superb double hundred, Prior and Broad a crucial partnership in the second innings and Anderson bowled beautifully to win it for England in the second innings. There were plenty of candidates for man of the match with Prior's excellent wicket keeping and Broad's all round brilliant game but KP deserves it for me.

England showed why they can be number one in the world in this test match, the batting order has depth, they have arguably the best wicketkeeper in test cricket and the bowling is also arguably the best. India will say they got unlucky with injuries to Khan and Gambhir or illness to Tendulkar but that takes nothing away from the performance. A long way to go in the series yet but it is a dream start.

England showed why they can be number one in the world in this test match, the batting order has depth, they have arguably the best wicketkeeper in test cricket and the bowling is also arguably the best. India will say they got unlucky with injuries to Khan and Gambhir or illness to Tendulkar but that takes nothing away from the performance. A long way to go in the series yet but it is a dream start.

This summarised things nicely for me; I was saying just then to a friend that it shows we can mix it with the best teams in the world and come out on top. I was impressed mostly with Prior in all honesty; his wicket-keeping was great, and his innings were match-winning for me. Of course KP's double-hundred was fantastic; he's been threatening to show why we've stuck by him through his 'rough patch' of late, and this got him firmly back on the map. Looking forward to the rest of the series for definite, hope we can keep it up.

I think we can play (and have played) even better, and there's no doubt India will improve, especially if they get players fit and aren't hamstrung by mid-game injuries. All good signs for a great series. I would've given man of the match to Broad, myself - 8 wickets and an innings- (and possibly match-) saving partnership with Prior.

It's time the ICC sorted out this DRS business. The fact that India have vetoed the 'predictive' part of it (apparently just because Tendulkar doesn't like it!) makes it a bit of a joke, imo. I think it should either be used in every test match, in every country, or it shouldn't be used at all.

Edit: D'oh - 7 wickets for Broad :doh::rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

This summarised things nicely for me; I was saying just then to a friend that it shows we can mix it with the best teams in the world and come out on top. I was impressed mostly with Prior in all honesty; his wicket-keeping was great, and his innings were match-winning for me. Of course KP's double-hundred was fantastic; he's been threatening to show why we've stuck by him through his 'rough patch' of late, and this got him firmly back on the map. Looking forward to the rest of the series for definite, hope we can keep it up.

Yes, I agree. I think we can definately win by two clear test matches and become the number one side in the world. The conditions will favour England at Trent Bridge as well. Agreed btw Raven!

Why is it that we are so up and down in cricket.

Was a brilliant match in the end possibly because of the result but you never know which was it is going to go, one minute we are up and then the next we are making stupid mistakes.

KP finally showed his form which we have been waiting for for quite a while.

Still end of the seat stuff right up until the end

Why is it that we are so up and down in cricket.

Was a brilliant match in the end possibly because of the result but you never know which was it is going to go, one minute we are up and then the next we are making stupid mistakes.

KP finally showed his form which we have been waiting for for quite a while.

Still end of the seat stuff right up until the end

Indeed, there were quite a few ups and downs. England were stuggling in the first innings before Zaheer Khan got injured and found themselves 70-5 at one point. England have been very consistent at test cricket over the last couple of years, with the Flower and Strauss partnership, hence the fact that they are so close to being the number one side in the world.

Superb turn around from England in this test match. The amount of times they got themselves out of trouble is commendable. At 124-8 in the first innings, Broad and Swann come in with that partnership. Or when India were 267-4, Broad has a hat-trick and also when England were 4 wickets down in the second innings with not much of a lead, Bell, Morgan, KP, Bresnan, Broad and Prior chip in.

They just don't know when they're beaten, it was a team effort and this is what is so great about this current England side. There are so many outstanding performers that it's impossible to pick a man of the match, let alone a team because there is so much competition. Bresnan making that selection policy even harder with a good batting and bowling performance.

If I had to it would be Broad because the way he has responded to his critics with his fine all round performance in the first two test matches is top class. For me this England side could be better than the Ashes 2005 winning team because there are so many outstanding performers and so much competition that doesn't even get in the side.

also when England were 4 wickets down in the second innings with not much of a lead, Bell, Morgan, KP, Bresnan, Broad and Prior chip in.

To be fair, they were 150 in the lead before the third wicket went down, and 250 in the lead by the time the fourth did, then they had a mini-collapse before Prior, Bresnan and Broad cut loose :)

Fantastic performance. Hope it's not too overshadowed by the Bell incident (he was stupid, he was out, and should have stayed out, imo - India did nothing wrong at all), but those extra 22 runs he scored afterwards made no difference at all in the end. India, lacklustre again. If they get Sehwag, Gambir and Zaheer back for the next test it could get interesting. Bresnan should stay in the team ahead of Tremlett, providing the pitch suits. If Strauss and Cook contribute some runs we could be unstoppable.

Hope it's not too overshadowed by the Bell incident (he was stupid, he was out, and should have stayed out, imo - India did nothing wrong at all), but those extra 22 runs he scored afterwards made no difference at all in the end.

To be fair to Bell, although the four wasn't called and it's not clear whether one of the umpires called "over", the umpire he was closest to did pass a jumper back to the bowler and it did look as though things had wrapped up. He was out, but it was a genuine misunderstanding and I think it would have been harsh to enforce it.

Good win for England, but I suspect things might be a bit harder at Edgbaston.

To be fair to Bell, although the four wasn't called and it's not clear whether one of the umpires called "over", the umpire he was closest to did pass a jumper back to the bowler and it did look as though things had wrapped up. He was out, but it was a genuine misunderstanding and I think it would have been harsh to enforce it.

I think he was stupid, and I think he realised what he'd done when he stuttered halfway down the pitch as the ball was coming back in - although, as you say, umpire Rauf should have made it clearer, or Bell should at least have had the sense to check with him.

I thought the Indian team handled it all superbly, not just Dhoni, but the likes of Dravid in subsequent interviews as well. Sadly, I just couldn't see any other team, including England, being as generous, especially with the way the game was going.

With respect, I'd like to think we would have done the same thing had Strauss been faced with the decision. It shouldn't overshadow the game at all though; India were gracious and showed the spirit of the game in allowing him to come back to the crease and in the end their decision made not much difference. It was a fantastic innings from Bell nevertheless, and an all-round brilliant performance from England. If Strauss gets on top of his game then we will be unstoppable. A bowling line-up that's second to none, and a batting line-up that can bat comfortably even right up the the tail-end. Broad was brilliant, as was Bresnan, and it's a pleasure to watch England playing like this, it really is.

This quote from an article on the BBC News website:

"I initially felt he was out, but later on as a team it didn't feel right, and that was the main reason why we decided to call him back." Dhoni admitted when accepting the Brian Johnston Champagne Moment award from the BBC Test Match Special team, in recognition of the sportsmanship he had showed.

"The spirit of the game and the laws are something different"

And this is why I love cricket. Not only that the team felt it was the right thing to do, but that the umpires could allow it to happen. Can you imagine a football team coming out after halftime and asking for their goal to be taken off the score sheet because of an unnoticed offside, foul, etc.? Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at football, or any other sport, just highlighting something I love about cricket.

Can you imagine a football team coming out after halftime and asking for their goal to be taken off the score sheet because of an unnoticed offside, foul, etc.?

Sssshhhhh! You'll upset Sir Alex :wink::lol:

Hmm, interesting! Thanks for providing that link, Chesil.

How exactly did Bell not realise that the ball was still in play? Aren't they supposed to be keeping their eye on the ball at all times? Or at least waiting for the umpire to call 'over'? I think India was indeed pretty gracious in letting him come back to play. I also think it's a bit rich that Bell admits that it was his own stupidity but thinks he should have been allowed back. What about taking responsibility for your actions?

I'm not sure that Ponting would have been so gracious, and I don't think a lot of other captains would have been so gracious towards Australia. :rolleyes: I'm sure it would have become a big international incident. Australia would have been in the wrong if our player wanted to go back on after being given out, and they would have been in the wrong if they had or had not allowed the other player back on. (Hey, I'm not bitter much, am I? :P Just sick of Australia always being in the wrong.)