Cricket

Kylie

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I blame the commentators.  Warne was commentating before lunch, saying what a great morning England have had, and if they can just survive the last few balls before lunch, India will need to think about how they can get the wickets, then Ali is out last ball before lunch!  After lunch, Prior had started nicely, and Strauss makes a comment to that effect, then says that it's good news for England as once Prior settles in, he scores really well, at which point Sharma bowls the next ball and Prior swipes at the ball and is caught out.  It was all downhill from there.  :doh::D

• 4 months later...

I woke up this morning to the news that Phillip Hughes has died after being hit in the head by a delivery from Sean Abbott. I think the whole cricket world is in shock because although there are injuries from fast balls in cricket they are rarely serious. One of the heartening things is seeing the way in which people are also rallying around Sean Abbott. I can't imagine how he and Phillip Hughes' family feels at the moment.

I knew from the earlier reports that the initial injury was serious, but thought that he would recover eventually. The cricketing community have received a real body blow, and you can hear that in every statement that they have released. Such a sad time for all concerned. 

The ball had hit a major artery and he bled into his brain. :( everyone is laying their bats at sporting events in respect for Hughes.

I feel for the families on both sides, especially the bowler.

Edited by Devi

• 2 months later...

Quite enjoying the cricket world cup, well, at least as well as any England supporter can at the moment.  At least we didn't completely embarrass ourselves against Scotland last night thanks to Moeen Ali … Bell looked a bit out of sorts still, and I didn't see the rest of the batsmen.  I haven't seen any of the bowling, but a win's a win and we'll take it for now.

Just been catching up with last nights game between Australia and New Zealand … what happened there???  Australia make only 151 runs, and NZ seem to be going reasonably well, only to collapse but somehow manage to cling on and win by 1 wicket.  :o   Sounds like it much have been a good match to watch … shame it was overnight here.  Might try and catch some highlights later on.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah more cricket to watch from tomorrow England vs New Zealand hope they do better than they did against the west indies a couple of weeks ago.

Don't you think that since there was such an uproar over Pietersen and his coming back into the side / no he's not talk was to take away from how awful the test team had performed against the west indies.

I wouldn't have said so, as most of the initial noise after the West Indies series seems to have been coming from the Pietersen camp (or rather his fans).

There was always going to be a bit of a "What will happen next?" question mark hanging over Strauss coming into the set-up, but I don't think the press attention that followed was a deliberate attempt by the ECB to distract people from England's recent performances.

If Cook thought he was under the microscope last year, that's nothing compared to the scrutiny he is going to be under over the next few weeks.  If he has a poor series against New Zealand, either personally or as a team, he's going to be facing a lot of questions.

Good recovery there by England, after a very dicey start.  We always seem to stuff the first day of the first Test of the summer, somehow, so let's hope that early wobble was as bad as things will get this summer!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...