Jane Austen - Persuasion

princessponti

Bah! Just lost every thing I had written *sulks*

I thought I would start a random thread about this book, rather than post a review, mainly being because I'm not very good a writing reviews without giving anything away! Plus, I tend to just dump all of my thoughts out in one long ramble! Be warned that if you read this without first reading the book I may well spoil the whole thing! If you have read the book then I would very much welcome your thoughts!! :018:

Initially, I found this book incredibly difficult to get into. I think that I have explained elsewhere that I had been trying to read it on busy commutes and hadn't really dedicated a lot of 'concentrating' time let myself get absorbed by it. I don't know about anyone else, but I find it difficult to click my brain into the 'classics', the language and the feeling of these types of books I find somewhat difficult to submerge myself in at the outset. I generally need to dedicate some significant time to them in order switch over and fully appreciate what's going on, which I didn't manage to do with Persuasion. For this reason, I feel I have probably missed some of the important plot points!

Saying that though, once I crossed the mid point and started cruising towards the end I truly loved this book. It definitely appealed to my hopeless romantic side! It's very strange (I think it's probably just me), but even though I had read the back cover (which unfortunately gives away the ending), I still was kept guessing as to what was going to happen! Austen managed to write in a couple of twists and turns into the love story which had me thinking 'Noooo!, that can't happen! It's not supposed to go this way!!'. Amazing that she could do that, even when I knew how it would turn out!

I found Anne Elliot a great heroine; from the outset I was fully supportive of her plight. I could really feel the unhappiness in her soul of the lost love (having been there myself!). The way that she had shut herself down from the enjoyments of the world and lost her mojo (!), which slowly returned after the re-appearance of Mr (Captain) Wentworth into her life. I loved the re-awakening of the character. The way she realised that the world that she lived in wasn't the world that she wanted, and that she wanted to be around the people of Uppercross (albeit reluctant of the change initially), rather than her regular circle. Wanted to be with the people that actually cared more for life and friendships rather than social standing. The way that her 'sparkle' returned.

But, purely the best thing about this book is the letter! OMG!! It is the pinnacle of romance for me, everything about that scene was magical as I read it, I could have cried! It made all of my romantic hairs stand on end! Oh to have a Captain Wentworth!

I picked this book up because of the movie 'The LakeHouse' (starring Sandra Bullock and Keanu 'swoon' Reeves), it was Sandra

I haven't read it yet, but I've caught the last half or so of the film a couple of times. The tension created wondering will they?, won't they? was almost unbearable. I have to read the book!

Not sure of the actor that plays her Captain, but /sigh/ he is beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched it today :friends0: ..and in time honoured tradition.. the book is far superior!

All of the characters looked wrong, no-one was as attractive as I'd imagined (particularly since one of the characters is really vain and values attractiveness above most other things), I think they could have spent some extra time finding sparkly people. The story also felt a lot more 'clunky', I know that this is probably because there is so much to fit in from the book that they had to chop stuff out, so it didn't have the gradual unfolding. I think there is a better movie to be made from this book!

It also had plinky plonky music all the way through which really got to me! I just couldn't ignore it!

Saying that though, the ending was nice, it takes you further than the book ending so you get a little sneaky peeky at what happens next, which I really liked.. it was a very 'movie' ending!

All in all I would say, read the book people.. and watch the film only if it's on one lazy afternoon!

Are those the Headline Review versions or the Penguin Red ones? Both are very pretty :D My mum got me the Headline Review editions.

The headline review ones! I love them! I really enjoyed reading Persuasion as it matched my lilac bedroom!

...I believe that 'plinky ponky' is in fact the technical term for this type of uninteristing, drab and annoying music.. I'm sure I've heard Mr Lloyd Webber use this phrase in interviews.. :)

As you 'told' me on the dvd thread to post over here too, here I am! :D

I had read the thread before and was quite excited when I found it. I would love to discuss the parallels between 'The Lakehouse', the film, and 'Persuasion', but unfortunately it's been a while since I read the book. From what I do remember, I certainly agree with your comments, but can't think of anything to add.

I enjoyed the film much more than I had expected as I had read several bad reviews before. Didn't mind at all that it was pretty implausible, but found it hard to follow the time aspect of the story. What I liked about the film was that the reason for them not being together was time, a very abstract reason, rather than some annoying misunderstandings, unsaid things, or prejudices. Somehow there was more hope in that. And their waiting was as beautiful as Kate (Sandra B.) described it when telling Alex (Keanu) about Persuasion.

Even though I don't remember the details of Persuasion, I do agree with you in that I like Anne Elliot as the heroine. I think she's my favourite Jane Austen heroine (read all apart from Mansfield Park) because I can identify with her the best. I like all of them, but don't always understand them.

Hi Betty! I can be very demanding sometimes! Sorry!!! ..I've wanted to talk the Lakehouse for ages and nobody seems to have seen it!!! Thank you for the post!! :D:)

I really enjoyed the film too, like you I had read the bad reviews, but the draw of Keanu is always strong with me! If you over think the LakeHouse it has many, many, many plot holes, which I'm sure can drive you mad and ruin it for some people (time travel is just not an easy subject to carry off!). I just really enjoyed the romance of it, and didn't let the 'holes' spoil it for me.

I like your take on the reason for them not being together, I'd never considered that before. It is quite hopeful isn't it, that a true romance exists; it's certainly makes it stand out as a movie.

Anne Elliot is great, she is so grounded, I love her compassion and understanding and strength of character. For me Sandra's character in the Lakehous carries a lot of similarites with her personality traits as Anne; they are both nurturing and have let their lives slip them by a little in their dedication to others. Both become more alive by the romance with their 'captain'. (did I say this earlier? Can't remember!). I think I want to watch the Lakehouse again now so that I can figure more out!!... another one to rent :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you do re-read the book (..by then I would probably forgotten and the cycle will begin again!!).

Yes, there may be plot holes, but just like you I didn't let that spoil it, but enjoyed the romance. In spite of not quite understanding it at first, I also enjoyed the time aspect of the film. Don't know why, maybe, for me there's something magical in it. Thinking about it afterwards and accepting that the whole concept of living in parallel time 'zones' is possible at all, I don't think it was that implausible or unlogical as some critics said. Through Kate and her letters, Alex was able to see into the future and then changed and influenced it by acting differently to how he did in Kate's time zone. That's why they finally managed to meet.

People are going to think that I'm mad attempting to explain The Lakehouse's logic, but for me there is some logic in there. :D Hopefully this isn't going to start a long discussion, as this thread is actually about Persuasion.

Both become more alive by the romance with their 'captain'.

I agree. I think it's wonderful to see how they finally manage to be with the man they love and who makes them complete. And that is because their 'captain' understands them in a way no one before has and gives them just what they need. I'd love to find my own Captain Wentworth - or do I want my own Mr Darcy? Well, that's a new question for me to think about :) .

• 7 months later...

Am I allowed to revive this very old thread? I saw here that very few had read Persuasion... or read it recently... so I just had to say that I LOVE it. It's one of my favorite books... I love it just as much as Pride and Prejudice, which plenty of people might find hard to believe. I've practically got it memorized, I've read it so many times.

The wonderful thing about this book is the experience of reading it. It's not one of those books that you can skim, or that you can skip past the parts you don't like and re-read the parts you do. The full charm and beauty of it is only caught when you read the whole thing through, in a quiet place, where you can savor it, because it's so subtle. You have to catch all the tiny little signs that the love that Anne never quite suceeded in burying is fighting for sunshine again... that the little signs that show that Captain Wentworth is falling in love with her again, even though he doesn't want to. And then, when you get to "the letter"... it's just PERFECT! It's the perfect release to all the hopes and dreams that you've built upon Anne through the whole book.

As for the movie... vastly unsuperior, as movies usually are. So much of the richness of this book is in Anne's mind and heart, and she has NO ONE to talk about it with, so that movie viewers might hear, like Elizabeth and Jane do in P&P. It's just not a good book for movie adaptation.

Soo.... have any of you read it since this thread was started?

I've read this book a few times, and it remains one of my favorites of Jane Austen's. I adore Anne Eliot as a character, partly because of her age...she's the oldest of Austen's heroines. It also has some of the best plot twists of any book, and you're absolutely right about the ending being immensely satisfying. I think this book may be due for a re-read soon!

I've not read Persuasion yet, but I do plan to - I've discovered that I rather like Jane Austen novels, which has come as a bit of a surprise to me, as when I started with Emma, I wasn't all that impressed. All the others I've read since then though (Northanger Abbey, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park) I've loved! I have Sense and Sensibility waiting on my shelf, after which I'll be getting hold of Persuasion...