Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Cabal by Clive Barker - it was great, would definitely recommend! Now to choose my next read. I've noticed whenever I read a Clive Barker book (only 2 so far I must say) I focus on it and can't read anything else at the same time, it must be a sign of a great writer as I normally have a few books on the go and alternate but not with Barker, so far. :)

I bought A Lover of Unreason by Yehuda Koren and Eilat Negev, about the life and death of Assia Wevill, who was Ted Hughes' lover.

I read A Lover of Unreason a couple of years ago. Infuriated me with Hughes.

Read the first 100 pages or so of Jo Nesbo's The Snowman.

Yays! Now we need to play some combination of Twilight Zone and Jaws music.......

AIE: Forgot to mention the 7 foot bookcase we bought yesterday. Can't wait to shift books!

Edited by pontalba

AIE: Forgot to mention the 7 foot bookcase we bought yesterday. Can't wait to shift books!

You made this the last thing you mention in your Book Activity list? :o I am shocked and horrified! :giggle:

ps We will need to see pics!

I finished Splinter - Sebastian Fitzek such a good thriller, I look forward to more of his work being translated into english, otherwise I'll have to take a crash course in german :blush:

I have now started Room - Emma Donoghue and I'm enjoying it so far :)

I've also brought The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest - Steig Larsson not a bad weekends work!

I finished The Girl with Glass Feet - Ali Shaw this morning its very good like a dark fairytale, not sure what to read next...I might go back to Lee Child or for a challenge China Mieville's Iron City

.I might go back to Lee Child or for a challenge China Mieville's Iron City

You mean Iron Council pickle? I am tempted to start that myself, having Mieville withdrawl symptoms, that or Kraken, should probably finish the series off though...hmm, choices.

You mean Iron Council pickle? I am tempted to start that myself, having Mieville withdrawl symptoms, that or Kraken, should probably finish the series off though...hmm, choices.

ooops you are right I did mean that one, I think I was getting it mixed it up with The City and The City :D this I think is the last one I have to read

ooops you are right I did mean that one, I think I was getting it mixed it up with The City and The City :D this I think is the last one I have to read

Haha, easily done, the last Mieville you have to read meaning you've read all his others? Oh no, definite withdrawl then! He is bringing another out this year or next though right?

Edit: yes just checked - Embassytown

Edited by chrysalis_stage

You made this the last thing you mention in your Book Activity list? :o I am shocked and horrified! :giggle:

ps We will need to see pics!

I agree! Pontalba, I'd love to see your new bookcase. :)

As soon as it's delivered, and loaded up I will be sure to take pics! We'll be moving out three single bookcases and putting that one in it's place. Just where those three bookcases will go is still a mystery. /chortle/ :D

We visited our favorite second hand book store on the South Shore today, McKeown's down on Tchoupitoulas Street, New Orleans. /sigh/ What a great store she has. Amazing, some hard to find stuff. We bought.....

A Night At the Movies by Robert Coover

The Tale of the Rose by Consuelo De Saint-Exupery

Hyperspace by Michio Kaku

Beyond Einstein by Michio Kaku

Dream of the Red Chamber by Tsao Hsueh-Chin

The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

The Book of Eleanor by Pamela Kaufman

Some Do Not } FMF

No More Parades } FMF

A Man Could Stand Up } FMF

Last Post } by Ford Madox Ford

The Good Soldier } FMF

An Experiment in Love by Hilary Mantel

The Cold Six Thousand by James Ellroy

Ancient Evenings by Norman Mailer

I The Supreme by Augusto Roa Bastos

The Drowned and The Saved by Primo Levi

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

Stopped at Borders on the way home and found three more....

Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge

Marooned in Realtime by Vernor Vinge

Bayou Farewell by Mike Tidwell

I bought A Lover of Unreason by Yehuda Koren and Eilat Negev, about the life and death of Assia Wevill, who was Ted Hughes' lover. It turned out that the $20 had expired from my card (:() and technically I shouldn't have got 35% off because it's a non-fiction book, but Borders had placed it in their poetry section so I managed to get the discount. ;)

Yay for getting A Lover of Unreason!! Too bad the $20 had expired but at least you got the discount. I'm so happy you got the book :)

I read A Lover of Unreason a couple of years ago. Infuriated me with Hughes.

I haven't read the book yet, but I'm already really annoyed with Hughes because of the Plath biography by Ronald Hayman I read a few years ago. Did you otherwise like the book? I can't wait to read it.

I finished The Woman in Black yesterday and started Nuala Gardner's A Friend Like Henry.

Yay for getting A Lover of Unreason!! Too bad the $20 had expired but at least you got the discount. I'm so happy you got the book :)

I knew you'd be pleased with that. :) I couldn't believe I found when they didn't have so many other books that I would have expected.

I look forward to your thoughts on The Woman in Black.

I've read a couple more chapters of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

I knew you'd be pleased with that. :) I couldn't believe I found when they didn't have so many other books that I would have expected.

I'm extremely pleased for you, I know how much you wanted to get the book when you read the Plath journals and got to know about Assia. I'm also surprised that they had the book, just like you are, I don't think it's a very new book etc. Happy days though :D

I look forward to your thoughts on The Woman in Black.

I'm not looking forward to writing my thoughts, I still don't know what to make of the book and I can't even decide how to rate it.

I've read a couple more chapters of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

How is that going for you?

Edited by frankie

I haven't read the book yet, but I'm already really annoyed with Hughes because of the Plath biography by Ronald Hayman I read a few years ago. Did you otherwise like the book? I can't wait to read it.

We have a Plath bio, but I forget the author, and it's buried in the pile.

Yes, I did enjoy the book, she was an interesting woman in her own right, and IMO was run down by Him. grrrrr She was a sensitive soul. I'll be interested to read your take on it. I'll dig it out and look again when you do.

I'm extremely pleased for you, I know how much you wanted to get the book when you read the Plath journals and got to know about Assia. I'm also surprised that they had the book, just like you are, I don't think it's a very new book etc. Happy days though :D

And with the discount it ended up even cheaper than if I got it from the BD. And it has a nice cover too. :)

I'm not looking forward to writing my thoughts, I still don't know what to make of the book and I can't even decide how to rate it.

Uh oh. :(

How is that going for you?

It's quite interesting. I'm not sure how you will like it. There's not exactly much plot to it; it's basically lots of different descriptions of what the Pranksters are doing when they're on acid. It's like one big trip. But it's nicely written.

I finished 'Elidor' by Alan Garner and I started 'The Behaviour of Moths' by Poppy Adams but I haven't made a dent in it as yet :)

Just blasted through the first quarter of Flowers for Algernon, at this rate I should be done by the start of next month!

So many people are reading or have read this - looks likes it's going to be an awesome month for reading circle. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book. It's my favourite read this year. (although we are only in january)