Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

Started The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield today. I had no idea what it was about (I'd not even read the blurb on the cover) but it's for my reading group next month, so just ploughed into it, and I'm hooked! I don't think it's going to be anything groundbreakingly original or a classic piece of literature, but it's got an intriguing plot and it starts off in a bookshop, so can't go too far wrong, can it?

Ooooh a most excellent choice, Chesil! Loved that one SO much :D. I'm excited to see what you think!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purchased this book a couple of days ago. 230 pages in and really liking it. What do/did you think of the book?

I finished it this morning and enjoyed it whitegold :)

I started The Fall by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan this morning :)

I finished The Abandoned by Douglas Clegg and will be starting on The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon today. :readingtwo:

Edited by Pixie

Ooooh a most excellent choice, Chesil! Loved that one SO much :D. I'm excited to see what you think!

Oh no! I'm about 120 pages in now, and it's starting to feel more and more like a book version of an awful made for TV movie. A bit cheesy and predictable, and I'm rapidly going off it. Sorry, peacefield :blush: Still, maybe it'll pick up again :lurker:

Oh no! I'm about 120 pages in now, and it's starting to feel more and more like a book version of an awful made for TV movie. A bit cheesy and predictable, and I'm rapidly going off it. Sorry, peacefield :blush: Still, maybe it'll pick up again :lurker:

Oh no!!!! :weeping: Oh man now I'm sad. I'm sorry you don't like it, Chesil :( For some reason it just really appealed to me and I think a bad TV movie was last on my mind. Awww *sniff*

Oh no!!!! :weeping: Oh man now I'm sad. I'm sorry you don't like it, Chesil :( For some reason it just really appealed to me and I think a bad TV movie was last on my mind. Awww *sniff*

I have this one in my TBR pile, peacefield.

When I get to it (probably in the next few months), hopefully, for your sake, I will love it. :D

Edited by Pixie

I read these books when I was in college, they are great :)

They are, I just finished The Eye in the Door, and started on The Ghost Road...I'm glad I bought all three at the same time as I find it very necessary to read them all together. I'll have to investigate her other titles.

Started The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield today. I had no idea what it was about (I'd not even read the blurb on the cover) but it's for my reading group next month, so just ploughed into it, and I'm hooked! I don't think it's going to be anything groundbreakingly original or a classic piece of literature, but it's got an intriguing plot and it starts off in a bookshop, so can't go too far wrong, can it?

I have this one in my TBR pile, peacefield.

When I get to it (probably in the next few months), hopefully, for your sake, I will love it. :D

It's on my TBR pile as well :(

I'm nearing the halfway mark in Notes on a Scandal & I'm finding it compulsive reading :)

Chesilbeach, I hope The Thirteenth Tale picks up for you. I loved it!

I've read about 100 pages of All Together Dead, and a little of Plath's journals. I've spent several days just reading one appendix. I'm getting nowhere with the actual text! rolleyes.gif

I may have ordered another 4 books from The Book Depository as well. smile2.gif But I got a refund for a book that I didn't end up receiving, and that paid for 2 of the books.

I can't get out but haven't done much reading :( I've been stuck on my laptop in case someone from my office wants something doing.

I am going to start reading The Beginning of Spring by Penelope Fitzgerald this evening though.

I finished my last book this morning so I thought I would walk into town to go to the library as a couple of my reservations had come in and I didn't want to brave the ice which was forming on the hill where I live once I had parked my car, but shock horror after slipping and sliding in I found it was shut because of the 2 inches of snow we had last night....so grrrr I am just re-reading some old favourites.

I finished Notes of a Scandal last night, brilliant read I couldn't put it down. I've decided to read a book my sister passed on to me called Sotah by Naomi Ragen for my next read.

Read 100 pages of American Gods throughout today, and I'm really starting to get stuck into it now, about 300 pages of a good 635 in - possibly less, I'm not sure exactly. I'm sure it'll be finished in no time, but I'll have to see how much time I can make for myself. Let's hope that with a bit of luck I might be done by this weekend. I must say, though, I would definitely recommend this to absolutely anyone.

Edited by Ben

I started Blood Bond - Linda Howard this evening normally I quite like her thrillers but this proving to be a little snow maybe because its a different genre (vampire) and there are much better authors out there

Totally unplanned....bought:

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

Tales of the City

Further Tales of the City

More Tales of the City

Babycakes all by Armistead Maupin

Oh, and a few days ago we bought...iPhone, The missing Manuel by David Pogue. He writes the Tech column in the NYT, smart as a whip always with good ideas.

Edited by pontalba

I got three books in waterstines 3 for 2 offer today Moab is my washpot- Stephen Fry and Jo Nesbo - The Redeemer and The Snowman as well as a couple of books from the library which will keep me occupied fot the weekend, :D