Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't been around much recently, but since I was last here, I think I've finished The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger and a re-read of The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood for my reading group. I'm about five chapters into The Crimson Petal and the White as well, of which I absolutely adore the writing style and am really getting into the story now.

Edited by chesilbeach

I've finished Liza of Lambeth this afternoon & really enjoyed it , it's a long time since I've read any Maugham. I'm now reading Master Georgie Beryl Bainbridge, this is the first book I've read by her & so far so good :D

I'm about five chapters into The Crimson Petal and the White as well, of which I absolutely adore the writing style and am really getting into the story now.

I've had this in my stack for several years, somehow it just hasn't made it to the top yet. I've heard lots of good things about it though.

Started The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie last night, am enjoying it.

I have been happily blaming Frankie for all of my excessive book purchases for the last two months, but I'm afraid I went and bought another 22 books today and I can't blame anyone but myself. :(

Isobelle Carmody: Ashling

Cassandra Clare: City of Bones

Cassandra Clare: Clockwork Angel

Mark Z Danielewski: House of Leaves

James Dasher: The Maze Runner

Janet Evanovich: Twelve Sharp

Stephen Fry: The Fry Chronicles ($10 - absolute bargain!)

Tim Flannery: Here on Earth

Tim Flannery: The Weather Makers

Arthur Goldwag: Isms and Ologies

Charlaine Harris: An Ice Cold Grave

Syrie James: The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

Tove Jansson: Moominpappa at Sea

Catherine Jinks: The Genius Wars

Nam Le: The Boat

John Ajvide Lindqvist: Harbour

Hilary Mantel: Wolf Hall

Carson McCullers: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

Vladimir Nabokov: Ada or Ardor

Philip Roth: Portnoy's Complaint

Kim Stanley Robinson: Galileo's Dream

Ann Rule: The Stranger Beside Me

Nigel Smith: I Think There's Something Wrong With Me

I also bought a few doubles (some intentionally and some unintentionally) and also a couple of books for friends.

Mark Z Danielewski: House of Leaves

I hope you get through this one and can post a review about it. I just couldn't get through it, but I would like to see if someone else finds it worthwhile. I think I could have enjoyed it without all the gimmicky stuff.

I hope you get through this one and can post a review about it. I just couldn't get through it, but I would like to see if someone else finds it worthwhile. I think I could have enjoyed it without all the gimmicky stuff.

I had a flick through Frankie's copy while she was here and it did indeed look very gimmicky. Despite it being quite a bulky book, it should at least be a quick read, what with all those pages that only have a few words on them! huh.gif

I've now catalogued my books (had to have a nap in between cataloguing; it's tiring work you know!) Now I'm going to settle down with Plath's journals. I'm also halfway through Anne of Windy Poplars. Not really my favourite of the series, but it's still very charming. :)

That makes two of us then, I eventually offed it to the charity shop because I knew I'd never pick it up again :blush:

My OH recently read House of Leaves. He decided to read it in two passes. First the main pages, then the footnotes. I wouldn't say it's his favorite, but it definitely grew on him, and I've decided that I will read it.......someday. :D

Right now, I've made a pretty good start, 72 pages, on Regeneration by Pat Barker. It's the first of a trilogy. So far so good. I was a bit wary even though the synopsis led me to believe I'd enjoy them. The wariness came in when I read a small splurp on the front that compared Barker to Hemingway.....I practically threw Farewell to Arms across the room, only a third read, but happily I don't see the so called similarity. Yay!

I finished the Memory Keeper's Daughter last night and I'm now moving on to The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien :D I've heard it's a lot darker than the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings, so I'm not sure I'll like it but I'll give it a go! :)

I got quite a bit of reading done over the weekend so I've only 50 pages left to go in Master Georgie, this has been a really good read I like Beryl Bainbridges style of writing even though it's only a short book you get to know & like the characters quite quickly. I'm sure I've got a couple of other books by her so I'll dig them out & move them nearer the top of my TBR pile.

Buried Alive by J A Kerley is proving to be a cracker as well. I'm on a roll!

*sings Got My Mojo Workin' and boogies across the living room floor

Finally, I finished Through A Glass, Darkly by Bill Hussey. It took me ages but I think that was more to do with my mojo than the book itself. Not sure what to read next. Need a mojo grabber so it's either Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare or The Morganville Vamps book 1 :blush:

Read a few more chapters of The Well of Ascension yesterday and today. I've been catching trains left, right, and centre, so I had a lot of travelling time to fill.

Not sure I'll get this finished before Christmas though. I fly home to America in a couple of weeks. At least I'll have plenty of opportunity to read on the plane.

Right now, I've made a pretty good start, 72 pages, on Regeneration by Pat Barker. It's the first of a trilogy. So far so good.

I love Regeneration. I read it a few years ago as part of my A-level WWI literature module, and I thought it was fantastic. I've read the first two in the trilogy, but sadly haven't got around to reading the last (which is reportedly the best and brings it all to a great close).

Hope you enjoy reading it!