Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have begun The Passage by Justin Cronin and already it's a cracking good read. So I'm pleased. Hopefully, it means that I've got my mojo workin'...biggrin.gif

I have begun The Passage by Justin Cronin and already it's a cracking good read.

Glad to hear it!

I really want to read this but it looks massive and I'm going to wait until I find it on special in the shops

I have it on my TBR pile but the size is definitely a little daunting!

I finished Anne of the Island yesterday and loved it. :) I moved straight on to Anne of Windy Poplars.

I'm also still reading the brilliant Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath. What a woman.

^ One day I'm going to log on here and your book activity will read:

Got up, brushed teeth, read a book, had some breakfast ...

Read a good chunk of The To-Do List, it's interesting reading Mike Gayle being Mike Gayle, you can see where a lot of his characters come from when he describes his friends, and you can also play "how many characters did he model on himself!"

Good stuff!

I have been trying (and failing) to finish 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak :)

I can understand that. :rolleyes:

Managed to get about halfway through, p 144 of World Made By Hand. Not going in the expected direction, and am trying to decide if that's a good or bad thing.....

^ One day I'm going to log on here and your book activity will read:

Got up, brushed teeth, read a book, had some breakfast ...

Who, me? I wish I read that fast! I'll have you know I started Plath's journals back in March. Admittedly, I then stopped for 7 months, but I'm now determined to finish it by the end of the year. But to keep feeling as though I'm accomplishing something I'm reading some faster books alongside it. :)

I finished 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak, I read it before and love it now as much as I did the first time I read it, I just couldn't seem to be able to concentrate on the rest of the book because this stupid sinus headache I have. :friends3:

I just pre-ordered The Bards of Bone Plain by Patricia McKillip, which will be released in the US on December 7th. :D

Here is the description from amazon:

With "her exquisite grasp of the fantasist's craft"* (Publishers Weekly) Patricia A. McKillip now invites readers to discover a place that may only exist in the mystical wisdom of poetry and music.

Scholar Phelan Cle is researching Bone Plain-which has been studied for the last 500 years, though no one has been able to locate it as a real place. Archaeologist Jonah Cle, Phelan's father, is also hunting through time, piecing history together from forgotten trinkets. His most eager disciple is Princess Beatrice, the king's youngest daughter. When they unearth a disk marked with ancient runes, Beatrice pursues the secrets of a lost language that she suddenly notices all around her, hidden in plain sight.

I just get so excited when a new book by her is released that I had to share. :blush: LOVE her style!

Read some more of Under the Dome last night less than 200 pages to go now :)

Tuesday is charity shop day & I came home with 8 new books

The Foundling Georgette Heyer

The Loved & Envied Enid Bagnold

The Bolter Frances Osborne

Master Georgie Beryl Bainbridge

the blue afternoon William Boyd

Liza of Lambeth W. Somerset Maugham

The Camomile Lawn Mary Wesley

Murder in the Mews Agatha Christie

I received these books in the mail today:

Pnin

The Real Life of Sebastian Bach

Speak, Memory

The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov

My Nabokov collection is almost complete. :D

I haven't been here in a while. Whoops.

Lately I've been starting books without finishing them due to a lack of mojo, including A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood, The Blackwater Lightship by Colm Tobín, and a few others. I'm aiming to get them finished a.s.a.p, and I'm also staring The Secret Crown, a review book by Chris Kuzneski.

I have been trying (and failing) to finish 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak :)

Know that feeling, I'm still reading 'Through A Glass, Darkly ' .... again, mojo issues :irked:

I finished 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak, I read it before and love it now as much as I did the first time I read it, I just couldn't seem to be able to concentrate on the rest of the book because this stupid sinus headache I have. :friends3:

Yay! Well done getting there in the end :D As for the sinus headache, try 4head migraine strips and 4head stick. Trust me, I suffer these headaches on a regular basis and this is the only thing that gives me relief ;)

No, it was yours, I think you may be reading your quoting of my post!

Phew! Glad that's sorted.

I received these books in the mail today:

Pnin

The Real Life of Sebastian Bach

Speak, Memory

The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov

My Nabokov collection is almost complete. :D

Good haul! Is that last one full of his short stories? I have one collection called Nabokov's Dozen but I'm sure there are other collections I need to acquire too.

Good haul! Is that last one full of his short stories? I have one collection called Nabokov's Dozen but I'm sure there are other collections I need to acquire too.

Yes, it is. In fact, there are a total of 68 of his short stories in this book. :D

Amazon link

There is the link to the US Amazon page if you would like to check it out. :)