Jack Moses: Nine Miles from Gundagai

Salman Rushdie: The Satanic Verses

Flora Rheta Schreiber: Sybil

Daniel Tammet: Born on a Blue Day

Amy Tan: The Joy Luck Club

SA Wakefield: Gumbles on Guard

Connie Willis: To Say Nothing of the Dog

Simon Winchester: The Map that Changed the World

I'm making slow but steady progress through Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror and If on a Winter's Night a Traveller, both of which are fantastic.

I also bought a new, large Billy bookcase from IKEA on the weekend. :D It should keep me going for another year or two.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raven, what kind of connotations does 'Ky' have, I had no clue?

I had no clue either. I didn't realise I was potentially being insulted! :o

K-Y is a type of lubricant in the UK (and not one you'd use on your bicycle chain, if you catch my drift ...).

This week, I am mostly loving Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. Of course I'm loving it. It's Murakami. And he is my God! :)

By the way, does anybody know if the Penguin Popular Classics (the ones with the bright green covers) are the full text, or just an abridged version? They didn't say they were abridged, but they seem too thin compared to more expensive editions of the same texts. They're really cheap at £2 each, so I'm tempted to buy a few, but only if they're unabridged.

They are full versions but small text and no introductions (or explanations I think)

K-Y is a type of lubricant in the UK (and not one you'd use on your bicycle chain, if you catch my drift ...).

Hmm, I'm going to leave that one alone...

I finished Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror, which I loved. I'm now concentrating fully on If on a Winter's Night a Traveller, which is just marvellous so far. Oh, and I passed the 100 mark for books read this year. Yay!

They are full versions but small text and no introductions (or explanations I think)

Ah great, I thought that was the case. I've done a bit of research as well, and apparently they're so thin because of the small font and they're pretty low-quality, but entirely recycled. I shall invest in some - can't go wrong at £2, really.

I finished Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror, which I loved. I'm now concentrating fully on If on a Winter's Night a Traveller, which is just marvellous so far. Oh, and I passed the 100 mark for books read this year. Yay!

Good to hear you are enjoying If on a Winter's Night a Traveller, Kylie. It's in my TBR pile. :D

I received Nightmare House and The Halloween Man, both by Douglas Clegg, in the mail today. Now I'm torn. I am really enjoying the book I am reading, but Douglas Clegg is a new author for me. I loved Neverland, and I am in the mood for something creepy.

What to read? Which do I choose? So much time, so few books.

Ooops, as Willy Wonka would say: Strike that. Reverse it. :lol:

What to read? Which do I choose? So much time, so few books.

Ooops, as Willy Wonka would say: Strike that. Reverse it. :lol:

Hehehe. I love it when he says that. :giggle2:

Read Italo Calvino! :wink:

Making good headway with Dragonflight. I only have 70 pages to go. It's quite exciting really. Good old-fashioned fantasy with dragons. It's getting a bit confusing with the time travel aspects though.

Was given a couple books by a colleague yesterday as he did not want them. "White Powder, Green light" by James Hawes, and "The Wrong Kind of Blood" by Declan Hughes.

Has anyone read these? What did you think?

I finally finished Vanity Fair. :P

Congrats ladymacbeth! Be sure to post your thoughts in the reading circle. wink.gif

I've started reading The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath again. I'm determined to finish it by the end of the year.

I can't believe I forgot to mention my other book activity today. Frankie gave me a pile of books that she won't be taking back home with her:

Aravind Adiga: The White Tiger

Augusten Burroughs: Sellevision

Tommy Lee et al: The Dirt

Ira Levin: The Stepford Wives

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings: The Yearling

Thanks Frankie! friends0.gif

I also received Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator in the mail. This is a nice new(ish) edition to replace my old one that didn't match the rest of my collection. I much prefer Dahl's stories illustrated by Quentin Blake. :)

Tommy Lee et al: The Dirt

I also received Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator in the mail. This is a nice new(ish) edition to replace my old one that didn't match the rest of my collection. I much prefer Dahl's stories illustrated by Quentin Blake. :)

The Dirt is a great read, quite disgusting at times but still fun.

Oh I love Roald Dhal, I just discovered him in 2008 though while being in Australia, as he doesn't seem to be as popular in Germany. Now I own some of his books myself and they're all ilustrated by Quentin Blake. Such lovely books. I still have some on my wishlist, as I only baught the ones that I haven't read yet.

Arghhh I got within a chapter of finishing my Linda Farstein this morning when I had to get up and go to work...

Quentin Blakes illustrations are just excellent, they have them on birthday cards here and I always buy them for people.

Bought a few books this afternoon:

Wizard's First Rule, Terry Goodkind

Catch-22, Joseph Heller

The Angel's Game, Carlos Ruiz Zafon

I've decided to read a more eclectic mix of books, so I've got my fantasy, my literary, and my contemporary.

Also nearly finished Dragonflight. I should definitely have it completed by the end of the day. Then I can blog about it! I've neglected my blog far too much recently.

Well, so far I've read 104 pages of Through A Glass Darkly by Bill Hussey and now my mojo has gone :( I don't know why, I like the book and it's engaging enough, but I fear I may have worn out my mojo recently :wibbly: .