Learning to read...

At what age did you learn to read? Some little ones seem to be able to read from age two or three, but others later. Perhaps there are one or two geniuses here? (Don't tell me...the plural of genius is genii?) And with what books did you learn to read?

I was your average little'un. Started at infant school and then progressed to Janet and John books. Remember them? Gosh that shows my age!!

I dont really know how and when I learned to read (mum may be able to help you out there) but I know I was always a reader and had an above average reading age, usually about two years above my actual age. I did read nearly everything my school had to offer and the local library helped too.

I dont really know how and when I learned to read (mum may be able to help you out there) but I know I was always a reader and had an above average reading age, usually about two years above my actual age. I did read nearly everything my school had to offer and the local library helped too.

If my memory serves me well, bearing in mind i've slept since then :) , you started reading in nursery school, then in the infants you decided you liked reading and from then on there was no stopping you! I think your reading age was about 3 to 3 1/2 years above your actual age. I remember you going through all the books they were using to teach your class and in the last couple of years at junior school you could pick and chose what books you read. :roll:

Now myself.... I didn't get the reading bug till i was about 6 (Janet & John books bored me to tears!). The 2 books i recall getting me back into reading were The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrode and The Wind In The Willows. For the record my average reading age was 2 - 3 years above my actual age.

I was "sounding out" words from picture books when I was two & by the time I was three, I was happily reading to myself out loud whenever I got the chance - I think it was me showing off being "grown-up" to the adults - LOL! By the time I was in school at four I was reading very easily & furious when they tried to make me read Peter & Jane books which I felt were far too easy for me (& they WERE!). By the time I was in my last couple of years at 1st school, they were having to get books from the middle school for me to read, & by the time I was in middle school, I was starting to read high school books.

We moved to Aberdeen when I was almost 11 & I was reading books that the Standard Grade classes were studying, so I guess I was reading about 3 or 4 years above my age. When I started secondary school, I was immediately made to do more detailed book reports using the template for the 3rd & 4th years. I wrote so many of them I won a prize at the end of 1st year. Unfortunately, they didn't really think very hard about the prize & gave me a copy of What Katy Did which I'd read when I was about 7, so I was rather put out. Now, of course, I wouldn't turn my nose up at that book at all! :)

When I started school at age 5, I couldn't read or write a thing. All I knew was how to spell my name (but I couldn't even spell my surname). My Mother used to read to me all of the time, but I never tried reading the books myself.

As soon as I'd started school, though, I was well on my way. By the time I was 9 years old I had a reading age of 14+. I'm not sure how I managed to catch up so quickly, but I guess I caught the reading bug not long after starting school, so that must have helped a lot.

Originally posted by Liz

When I started school at age 5, I couldn't read or write a thing. All I knew was how to spell my name (but I couldn't even spell my surname).

LOL. Me too! At age five or six I was about to join the Brownies, or something similar. An older girl who lived in our street took me on the first night, but I must have only been there a matter of minutes before they asked me my name. Well, Susan, I could manage, but when the lady asked me to spell my surname, which was French, I just burst into tears and could not be consoled. I never went back. It had a profound effect on me. I was embarressed and ashamed. I made sure the same thing never happened to my kids when they joined anything.

Susanna :)

LOL. Me too! At age five or six I was about to join the Brownies, or something similar. An older girl who lived in our street took me on the first night, but I must have only been there a matter of minutes before they asked me my name. Well, Susan, I could manage, but when the lady asked me to spell my surname, which was French, I just burst into tears and could not be consoled. I never went back. It had a profound effect on me. I was embarressed and ashamed. I made sure the same thing never happened to my kids when they joined anything.

Susanna :)

:roll: Ah, bless you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't spell my own name. I always find that really embarrassing when I tell my friends. They take great joy in taking the mick out of me.

According to my Mum, by two I was reading the huge print words in newspapers. I know I was always top of the class (what happened?:) ) and i read all of the books in the school (till i was beyond my level then they put me back to the beginning. I never saw the point in that).

I'm not sure how old I was when I started to read, I just text my Mum to ask. I do remember standing in the lunch line when at infant school and talking to someone about how silly the 'Look' books were. In my last year at junior school I rememeber writing a book (which I still have) called 'Where's Suzy?' - a kiddy book that was basically a rip off of the Spot books.

:roll: Ah, bless you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't spell my own name. I always find that really embarrassing when I tell my friends. They take great joy in taking the mick out of me.

Bethany is quite put out that her younger sister (Amy) has an easier name to learn! :)

I was about 3 when I got going. Janet and John were soooooooo easy and very boring! By the time I was 7 I would always ask for an Enid Blyton book whenever my mother went into a certain newsagents instead of having a bag of sweets. By 11 I was tackling Jean Plaidy with great gusto!

Tiger has had a book in her hand since she could pick things up with her baby hands! At just turned 11 in July she has a reading age of 13 1/2 and has this term been the only one to get to grips and understand 'The Lady of Shalot', scoring a 5B in a test 2 weeks ago :)

It must be in our genes because my mother and grand-mother (God rest her soul) are the same

I had trouble learning how to spell my middle name (well, I hardly used it) and I really struggled with the surname of my Dad's sister's family. Her (soon to be ex) husband is Czech, so they had different surnames for the males and females, plus it's all p's, v's and k's.

I could read well before I started school - I think my mum taught me. Also, I memorised my stories and the shapes of the words I think. (Yes, I was one of those annoying children who corrected their parent if they missed out so much as one word when reading the bedtime story!)

I remember being disgusted by the Janet and John books when I saw them... "Look John! Look! A cat!" :) I guess my reading age was well above my real age, but they didn't tell you things like that when I was at junior school, perhaps in case you became big headed about it!

I do know that I read very, very quickly (and still do). Once, I remember getting a new reading book, and reading it in about ten minutes flat. I asked the teacher if I could change it, but she didn't believe that I'd read it in that time. She quizzed me on the story, and when I could answer every question correctly, she gave me a foul look and was forced to let me get a new book. I remember that very vividly, because I was hurt that she didn't believe I'd read it. :roll:

I definitely get my love of reading from my mum - thanks mum! :lol:

Did anyone else have Flash Cards when they were little? I used to love those even when I was tiny - I think they were one of the main factors in my learning to read so early - we used to play with them all the time.

We didn't have flash cards (I'm too old!). We didn't do Janet and John either - I vaguely rememer Dick and Jane.

I couldn't read before I started school, but soon made up for that. My nickname, given to me by my dad, was Basil Bookworm - I always had my nose in a book!

I have been told many times that when my mum was pregnant with my brother (I was 3) I read most of the Mothercare Baby Book. Looking back I can't really believe it, but I obviously spent a lot of time looking at it. I could read quite confidently when I started school, but as they felt everyone had to go through all the books, I had to work through the reading scheme. They were boring, and I'm glad they didn't put me off. I would completely understand now if they had!

Carnt really remember what age I was but I know I was quite young. I also remember working through all the reading books at school, plus the higher reading. Then I got to pick my own books from home. My favourite used to be Shirley Hughes books because I thought the pictures were so beautiful.