Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

Bought a few new books today. Crossroads of Twilight, Robert Jordan, Soul Music, Terry Pratchett, and H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus 3: The Haunter of the Dark.

Read a couple of chapters of The Two Towers and also started The Call of Cthulhu.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on The Call of Cthulhu as it's on my wish list. Have you read much Lovecraft before?

I read a good amount of Little Women today. I'm well into the second part now. I was looking on Wikipedia for information on Louisa May Alcott and it gave away some plot points so now I know how the story ends for at least one character (not to mention I know the fate of another character from the blurb on the back of the book!). irked.gif I know it's a popular and well-known story, but it should never be assumed that everyone knows the plot of the book!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a half way through Choke and I am finding it quite dull in all honesty. Perhaps you have to be of a younger generation than I am to appreciate this book. Or maybe I have read too much to find anything shocking anymore. :lol:

Anyway, I will finish it, as it is very short and easy to read.

I've been waiting all day for my parents to leave the house so that I can read without being constantly interrupted and told to do this and that - these people just don't get it: Don't disturb me when I'm reading! Now that they're not here some friends decided to pay me a visit so I'll be reading The thorn birds by Colleen McCullough in the late evening... again.

I read a bit more of TheCity & The City this morning not very far onto it and it requires all my concentration so I am also reading something I got from the library when I am not feeling that intelligent :D

Didn't get much reading done today, but I did stop by the library to pick up my requested copy of The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I also went to Barnes & Noble and treated myself to a few books.

I got:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers

I got:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Lucky you!! I hope you enjoy it, It does take over 200 pages for it to really start getting amazing, but once you get past that point you won't turn back. Happy reading!!!

As for me. I managed to read 100 pages of Reckless by Funke. I'm gettting into it now. I found it was quite a hard transistion from The Bone collector to Reckless due to the difference of the style of book, but now I am moving through it nicely and I hope to have read it within a couple of days.

Just finished Carlo Collidi's Pinocchio. That was a vividly different children's book if I may say so. Not something I'm going to encourage kids to read... Disturbing in a way... Or maybe it was just the translation that I have. Either way, I'm not going to pass it on to the next generation as a must-read. Kids can just read The Wind In The Willows again instead of this one.

We stopped by Books-A-Million the other night, and picked up a few books.

I'm reading one right now, Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. I'm a little over a hundred pages into it, and hardly want to put it down.

His depiction of Bombay is absolutely fascinating.

Finished City of Glass while in Starbucks this morning, and read a couple more short stories in The Secret Lives of People in Love by Simon Van Booy. Man, can he write beautifully or what? (obviously, unlike me :blush:) Even better than Love Begins In Winter which was one of my top five books of last year.

I finished Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. Definitely not for me, so I won't be reading any more by this author.

I am reading The Angel's Game now by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and it has me completely hooked so far. :smile2:

After reading Pinocchio, I went over to the neighbourhood bookshop and picked up Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince and Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

Began reading The Little Prince right in the story. And once I came back home I finished the book in about 2 hours. And after a short break I picked up and finished The Legend of Sleepy Hollow as well.

A good reading day? Hell yes, if I do say so myself.

I read up to page 105 of In the Shadow of Gotham last night before dozing off. More and more it's reminding me of Caleb Carr's The Alienist, and has put me in the mood for it! I may have to pick it up after this one :D

A lack of new books this week has meant I have had to go back to some old favourites so I am re-reading Fred Vargas - Wash this blood clean from my hands, still a good book though.

Now, let me think, as I've read Vargas in French, I'm really wondering which one would translate into "Wash this blood clean from my hands".... does the original title stand anywhere in the copy you have?

As far as my book activity is concerned, while all the Vargases are piled up somewhere or in boxes on the attic and as the renovation of the house is slowly proceeding, I just DIVED and INDULGED in "The Gargoyle"...wow, that book jumps at you and doesn't let go ! So far one of the best reads of the year in the old farmhouse !

I haven't really been reading this past couple of days, but this afternoon I picked up my book and now have only about 80 pages left to go of Copycat. It's starting to get that race to the end feel now, good stuff! :D

Kylie: About To Kill a Mockingbird: I'm currently in no hurry myself, I'm totally hooked on Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism and I'd like to read the second title in the series right after that. I might also read the Lois Lowry book I just bought last Saturday. But these shouldn't take too much time because they're all quite short and easy reads me thinks :)

Edited by frankie

Now, let me think, as I've read Vargas in French, I'm really wondering which one would translate into "Wash this blood clean from my hands".... does the original title stand anywhere in the copy you have?

As far as my book activity is concerned, while all the Vargases are piled up somewhere or in boxes on the attic and as the renovation of the house is slowly proceeding, I just DIVED and INDULGED in "The Gargoyle"...wow, that book jumps at you and doesn't let go ! So far one of the best reads of the year in the old farmhouse !

I kept seeing this in a charity shop and sounded really good, but never picked it up. I don't even know if it is there now, I might have to go up there soon and investigate.

As for me I did not manage to read anymore last night. I am about to take the kds to the local park. Just filled my thermo coffee cup flask and grabbed my book so I am hoping that I can get a good reading session done.

Thanks for the update Frankie! That should give me time to finish my two current books.

I'm getting towards the end of Little Women and thoroughly enjoying it all.

I am not sure what the French Title is, its the one where they go to Canada, I think I have read all the translated ones and love them.

Catwoman I really recommend this series, the characters are all quirky and well written.

I read a bit more of Selling Out which is not a very good book, I think I might have had to read the first in the series but it didn't make it clear on the back that it was a continuation, its overly complicated, but I will persevere