Stephen King

Michelle

Stephen King's early books are all very good IMHO, with The Stand being a (no pun intended) the stand out book. Also IT. He went a little off for me after The Tommyknockers (after which I believe he finally went into therapy for his alcohol problem).

It's actually some of his short stories that I really like (Shawshank Redemption & The Body esp!)

I agree about King's older books, Ian. I especially loved Christine, Carrie and The Shining. His short stories are excellent! Night Shift is one I have re-read often, and of course Different Seasons :irked:.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He released a new collection of short stories last year, called " Just after sunset". These are very good too. After I read it, I gave it away (as I tend to do, otherwise I just wouldn't have any room in the house - it would just be full of books!) and I regret it now. Wish I'd hung onto it now, so I could've read it again.

Ian

Ian, I see that Waterstone's have Just After Sunset as part of their 3 for 2 offer so if you found another two books there you wanted it would be like having never let go of it, in a way :blush: I was pondering getting it, actually. Is it as good as Nightmares and Dreamscapes?

He released a new collection of short stories last year, called " Just after sunset". These are very good too. After I read it, I gave it away (as I tend to do, otherwise I just wouldn't have any room in the house - it would just be full of books!) and I regret it now. Wish I'd hung onto it now, so I could've read it again.

Ian

I'm glad you liked that, I brought these the other day (without realising they're short stories). Usually i'm not a fan of short stories as I like to get stuck into books, but hopefully these are good - i'll take your word for it!!! :blush:

I finished IT earlier this morning and it reminded me quite powerfully of why it is my favourite novel. The story-telling and sense of passion within the written words is absolutely astounding. I'm going to start Salem's Lot again later today :D After some Lovecraft!

I have been wanting to read this book for a long time. I think that persuaded me to pick it up now :D

It is brilliant (imo!), it takes a while to get into, but once your into the story, it's really deep and you do get emotionally attached to the characters and everything which goes on :D

Ian, I see that Waterstone's have Just After Sunset as part of their 3 for 2 offer so if you found another two books there you wanted it would be like having never let go of it, in a way :friends0: I was pondering getting it, actually. Is it as good as Nightmares and Dreamscapes?

Oh man - I've read so much King, I can't remember if I've read it or not! Suffice it to say that all the short stories of his I've read, have all been very, very good.

Ian

I have been wanting to read this book for a long time. I think that persuaded me to pick it up now :friends0:

I have it on my tbr. The size of it is a bit intimidating, but my friend who has read it has assured me that I will whiz through it, because it's compelling reading. Hopefully, will read it in the next month or so.

SK is imho the best horror/thriller writer around. He's definately stood the test of time! IT and The Stand are absolute amazing stories and his early stuff like Christine, Cujo, Salems Lot and The Shining were also cracking reads and films. Growing up at that time reading his books and watching the films was brilliant (and more often than not damned scary) :friends0:. Haven't read all of the discussion pages here but one particular book which doesn't get mentioned very often is Thinner which is a shame as to me it's also a good read. Did think he started to lose his way a few years ago with novels such as Insomnia, Rose Madder and Liseys Story but though Cell brought him back to his better days!

I tend to agree that SK has lost his way.I tend to prefer James Herbert although his writing has slowed down terribly and i wasnt that impressed with his last book .Maybe its just me but the horror genre seems to be in desperate need of a new author unless i have missed someone that anyone can recommend

Peter

I also think The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is very under-rated. I read this when i saw it lying around on a holiday when i was perhaps 13, my first King novel, which was a great introduction i feel, because it's quite different for King. Then around five years later i picked up The Shining and carried on from there.

I also think The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is very under-rated. I read this when i saw it lying around on a holiday when i was perhaps 13, my first King novel, which was a great introduction i feel, because it's quite different for King. Then around five years later i picked up The Shining and carried on from there.

Rawr - I must admit i've never heard of this book before - must of passed me by this one. Just had a quick look on Amazon and read few of the reviews there. Sounds very different to 'normal' King and as i am a baseball fan then I'm definately going to give this one a go. :friends0:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone bought his new offering 'Under the dome' yet? Had a look at it @ Waterstones in my lunch hour and it looked like an old style King epic which so may of us grew up with. According to reviews it's up there with The Stand and IT, which really set's a benchmark.

Just wondered if anyone has started it yet as I think 'm going to purchase this very very shortly and put everything else on the backburner :D. Let myself drift back into the old Stephen King world that I and countless others enjoy! If anyone has started it whats the verdict so far (realise it's only been out couple of days but if anyone wants to share their thoughts up to now please feel free!)

I haven't read it but I did read that this is a book he started way back when, so that might explain why it's of a higher standard if he was writing parts of it around the same time as IT and his other biggies.

I got Under The Dome this morning and I'm just about to start it - a couple of friends have said this is definitely King edging back towards his best writing so I'm looking forward to it :D

I haven't read it but I did read that this is a book he started way back when, so that might explain why it's of a higher standard if he was writing parts of it around the same time as IT and his other biggies.

Yeah heard that it was 25 years in the making. Really looking forward to it and just hope it's as good as some say - must admit thought King had gone off the boil a bit lately so it would be a welcome return to form if it is!!

I got Under The Dome this morning and I'm just about to start it - a couple of friends have said this is definitely King edging back towards his best writing so I'm looking forward to it :D

Think i'll take the plunge and start it this weekend. Hopefully as good as people say - let me know how you get on with it and I'll do likewise - enjoy

I am on the list at the library for Under the Dome. I am number 30 and they have bought 6 books so I guess that means I am #5. my worry is that they only allow you to keep a book 14 days and I am sure I can't finish it in that short period. maybe I better buy the book.