Stephen King

Michelle

I'm the same. I bought Duma Key over a year ago, read the first few chapters but really could not get into it. Put it on my shelf and its been there since, which is a shame as i'm quite a big Stephen King fan and have never had to be in the 'right frame of mind' to read any of his works before

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read all of Salem's Lot and LOVED it, read it in about 2 days. Great book. The half was Cell, which I loved and just got distracted from. Really loved the characters in Cell, and the atmosphere in Salem's Lot.

I picked up a copy of The Bachman Books yesterday, which I was really pleased to find. It contains two stories I've been wanting to read for a while: The Running Man and The Long Walk.

Read all of Salem's Lot and LOVED it, read it in about 2 days. Great book. The half was Cell, which I loved and just got distracted from. Really loved the characters in Cell, and the atmosphere in Salem's Lot.

Read moaaaar, he's great!

How did you guess? Erm. Hmm. Dark Tower series for sure, but i think that's a little heavy going until your kinda used to his writing style. Try Misery, that's great and Annie Wilkes is a great villain!

Misery; sadness, distress, depressing. Yep. It's also got another purpose for the story though which you shall see if you embark upon reading. Anyway, i highly recommend it, it's a very unique book.

But how do you mean depressing then? Misery is about a writer held captive by an insane, deluded woman. 'Salem's Lot was about a vampire epidemic slowly creeping and taking over the town and following the main character's actions as he tries to combat the source of the issue.

You have got to read Annie, she is amazingness seriously!!

'He didn't get out of the COCKADOODIE CAR!!!!' etc :she:

A lot of King's work is depressing :she: what do you expect??

LOL! I was all set to recommend loads of titles, but most of them are depressing!

If you don't mind a fantasy slant, try The Eyes of the Dragon, The Talisman or Rose Madder perhaps. :lol:

I have to say that I started Duma Key about 5 months ago, then put it back on the shelf, where it has stayed since. It seemed like it might get interesting, but I don't think I was in the right mood to read it at the time. Also, I'm not sure I liked the main character, but I do realise that I didn't give it much of a chance! I will return to it.

You have to really like Stephen King and his writings, I got turned off trying to read Tommyknockers because of the language, but now he seems better. I hope you try again to read it.

The fictitious island Dumas Key was set in an area where I live in Florida.

Major Characters

Edgar Freemantle: is the central character in the book, which focuses on his struggles and it is eventually him that takes the lead in the climatic fight against Perse.

Jerome Wireman: is a former lawyer from Omaha who moved down to Florida after losing his wife and daughter, surviving a suicide attempt, and being fired from his law firm.

Elizabeth Eastlake: a wealthy heiress and former art patron suffering from Alzheimers, she plays a major role in background of the story and in leading the protagonists to stopping the evil force present on the island.

Pam Freemantle: Edgar's wife who divorces him at the beginning of the novel. During the novel she has several affairs, but gradually reconciles with him until the events of the climax begin.

Ilse Freemantle: Edgar's youngest daughter who remains the only person from his "past life" to stay close to him and who is the person he loves most in the world.

Jack Cantori: local college student who serves as Edgar's chauffer and handyman, keeping the house stocked with groceries and picking up whatever odds and ends he needs. It is his quick thinking that allows them to trap Perse at the end of the novel.

Perse: the evil force manifested on Duma Key, she first reached out through young Elizabeth Eastlake to get back to the surface from the ocean before being trapped in freshwater, (she is left powerless by it), until the present day. She commands a ship of damned souls, and while not human is said to have something distinctly feminine about her, and she is manifest in an old china doll with a red cloak. She is again put back to sleep at the end of the novel though the characters fear she'll still eventually escape again.

• 1 month later...

The novel of your favourite adaptation would be the obvious choice - if, say, you had particularly enjoyed the "Dead Zone" movie you're unlikely to dislike the "Dead Zone" book.

However, my personal favourites I'd reccommend left right and centre are, in order:

"The Dark Half" (a writer decides to kill off his pseudonym... the pseudonym isn't of the same opinion)

"Misery" (a writer decides to kill off the central character of his novels... his greatest fan isn't of the same opinion)

"Carrie" (revenge of the bullied telekinetic wallflower)

"Christine" (revenge of the bullied nerd, via sleek automobile from hell)

"Nightmares and Dreamscapes" (short story collection, mostly made out of awesome, particularly "Dolan's Cadillac", "The End of the Whole Mess", "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band", "Rainy Season" and "Umney's Last Case")

Edited by BookJumper

I have seen alot of Stephen King novel adaptions, but have never read any of his books.

Where would the best place be to start regarding his works?

The first Stephen King book I ever read was Salem's Lot and thought it was fantastic, its a vampire horror. Another great one I would recommend is Pet Semetry, both novels scared the bejaysus outta me! Mind you, I was only about 15 at the time :D

I've heard a lot of great reviews and comments on here about his book The Shining although I haven't read it myself.

I also tell people to start with Carrie. It is well known and short and his first big time novel. I would work my way up from there, probably The Shining or Cujo. Or if you can find "The Bachman Books" a collection of his earlier works, that is a great collection. It has "The Long Walk" which is classic King.

Two big thumbs-up from me in recommending The Shining as well. It's by far one of my favorites. I would also say the same about Christine, and if you are a fan of short stories, I would try Night Shift. :D