Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

I finished Water for Elephants tonight when I got home. I was so antsy, nothing seemed to settle me but reading. I loved it though, and shed a couple tears in the process. Excellent book and I can't wait for the film!

Now I'm trying to decide what to read next...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last couple of weeks I've bought waaaay too many books:

Waylander and The King Beyond The Gate by David Gemmell

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

Gateway by Frederick Pohl

Inverted World by Christopher Priest

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny

The Dancers At The End of Time by Michael Moorcock

Grass by Sheri S Tepper

The Algebraist by Iain M Banks

Dawnthief by James Barclay

The Edge of The World by Kevin J. Anderson

You can never buy too many books!

I'm listening to Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett at the moment but will read some of The Queen of New Beginnings by Erica James soon

I started and finished Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury, such a good book! My only niggle was that some of Charles bits went on a bit too long, otherwise perfect! A little bit spooky and written amazingly.:)

I've been reading Oscar Wildes De Profundis, it's a bit uncomfortable. A bit like watching someone in the toilet when they don't know about it. Talk about rant!

Good haul Karsa, I'dbe interested in your thoughts on - well, pretty much all of them!

I've been reading Oscar Wilde's De Profundis, it's a bit uncomfortable. A bit like watching someone in the toilet when they don't know about it. Talk about rant!
I find it such a beautiful rant, though. I understand what you mean about the voyeuristic feeling it gives you - it is, after all, a private letter written at a very tragic point in time - but I like that in the sense that this is probably the closest we'll ever get to Oscar Wilde as he really was beneath the flippant carefree wit.

I find it such a beautiful rant, though. I understand what you mean about the voyeuristic feeling it gives you - it is, after all, a private letter written at a very tragic point in time - but I like that in the sense that this is probably the closest we'll ever get to Oscar Wilde as he really was beneath the flippant carefree wit.

I agree with you, it's a very well written rant. I have kept reading it because it feels like I'm finally meeting the real Wilde in it and not just the person he liked people to see.

Didn't get any of my own reading done yesterday but i did finish reading The Faraway Tree to my daughter so feel like i've achieved something. We're starting Bottersnikes & Gumbles tonight :)

I haven't read anything because of my final exams (just three more and I'll be finished with my degree yay!)

But I'm going to spend the next three hours looking at my books and cataloging them. I have 220 now!

We should exchange notes. Those names seem very interesting.

Edited by vinay87

My mojo is mucking about again, so I am attempting to read a Buffy The Vampire Slayer derived story 'The Lost Slayer'. It is easy to read, and I know the characters so it shouldn't be too taxing.

*Chrissy buckles up to go kick some demon and vampire butt!* :)

Last night and this morning I made a couple of hundred pages in Jean Plaidy's The Loves of Charles II. It's a trilogy mostly covering the same time frame, The Restoration basically, but from different viewpoints. I almost gave up on it as in the first two there wasn't anything I had not read about before, but here, in the last one, there are new POVs that I find interesting. So, all in all I am glad I persevered.

Ooshie, yay for the finished Bell Jar! ;)

My mojo is mucking about again, so I am attempting to read a Buffy The Vampire Slayer derived story 'The Lost Slayer'. It is easy to read, and I know the characters so it shouldn't be too taxing.

Are these Buffy books any good? I'm having mixed feelings about these but haven't ever bumped into them in bookstores of any kind so haven't had the opportunity to buy one and try it out. And don't feel like ordering them online if they prove to be no good.

I've had very little book activity since yesterday, I've only read like 20 pages of How to Be Good. BCF has been distracting me! :)

It's the only based-on-a-tv-series type book that I've ever read ~ 'The Lost Slayer' written by Christopher Golden. Its pretty good, with the familiar characters captured well and wrapped up in an interesting story.

As I said earlier, an easy read. :)

I finished The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, which was a brilliant read.

Next up is Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Hoeg, for the June reading circle.

Thanks Chrissy :) If I ever happen to stumble into a copy I might have to purchase it.

I finished The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, which was a brilliant read.

The whole book? Wow that was quick! ;)

I read a bit more of How to Be Good. I'm enjoying the book but for some reason I find it hard to pick the book up and start reading after a break.

The whole book? Wow that was quick! :lol:

Really? I thought it was quite slow of me! ;) It took me a week to read the 12 short stories. It was well worth it though. :)

I'm about 20 pages into Smilla. It's off to a reasonably good start. I already have questions though.

Really? I thought it was quite slow of me! ;) It took me a week to read the 12 short stories. It was well worth it though. :)

I'm about 20 pages into Smilla. It's off to a reasonably good start. I already have questions though.

Maybe I need to find my copy of the book and see if I'm thinking about the right size. Maybe it's shorter. But I don't think so. :lol:

I hope your questions will be answered. It is a detective story of some sorts, after all.

Edit: Well, Holmes wasn't shorter than I'd thought, maybe it's just the old fashioned language that's making it longer in my head ;)

Edited by frankie

I've been reading The Queen of New Beginnings by Erica James. Wanted to finish it last night but my eyes were really sore. I've got 70 pages left so should get it done today. Then I'll be moving on to The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, can't wait!

I'm taking my time with The Alehouse Murders by Maureen Ash (the first in a Templar Knight murder mystery series) - I'm enjoying the read - Ms Ash re-creates 1200 Lincoln beautifully. Just had a lot of other stuff to do which has put my reading on the back burner for a bit.

also reading hundreds of different ways to do pearl and plain knitting stitches - as you do:lol:

Glad you enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes adventures Kylie. You need to get started on The Return now.........:)

Edited by SueK
update

Two books arrived today.

'The Ninth Life Of Louis Drax' by Liz Jensen, a book that caught my eye, and the blurb made me buy it.

The second book I will be sending to my nephew, 'Dragons And Beasts' by Finlay Cowan, a descriptive and beautifully illustrated reference of beasties and how to draw them, and design ones of your own.