Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been really lucky as well, as the library seem to have bought some new copies with the new cover, so apart from the first one, all the ones I've borrowed, I've been the first reader, so it's been like having my own book, without the hassle of having to find space on my bookshelves after I've finished!

Nice one! I'm trying to collect as many books as possible. I'm hoping for a couple of new bookcases for my living room so I want to have plenty of books to fill them! ;)

Don't give me more ideas! I'm up to my neck in series of books as it is. :D

You know I can't resist your suggestions, so now I'm off to Amazon to check out Raven Hart :lol:

Sorry! :lol:

:D The first one's called The Vampire's Seduction!

OH and I strolled into Barnes & Noble 30 minutes before they closed tonight, and bought:

The Arabian Nights translated by Sir Richard F. Burton and

Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales...both of which are beautiful leather, gold trimmed B&N hardbacks. Just gorgeous books!

and...

The Age of Wonder by Richard Holmes

The Lost City of Z by David Grann

Beowulf on the Beach by Jack Murnighan

:lol:

So I got stressed last night with exams and did what every girl who loves reading does - pulled Pride and Prejudice off the shelf and went to the ball :lol: I have also now begun The Pearl by Douglas Smith which I am loving - anything to do with 18/19th century Russia, throw it my way!

I've been reading Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down and am on page 181 now, this book is ridiculously hilarious at times! I'm so ashamed that I thought Hornby's work's awful and I'd hate it, I'm so glad High Fidelity was on the Rory book list and I read it, it made me found this gem :lol:

Still in the middle of reading Merrick but finished Vampire Diaries : The Return - Nightfall by LJ Smith.

Overall, the storyline was much better than earlier books but I noticed quite a few spelling mistakes and words used in the wrong place etc.

I read a couple of chapters of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets as I felt like a revisit :lol:

Glad Kraken is good *ponders picking it up* but are we sure 'lovely' is quite the right term, Pickle :lol:?

Ha ha well lovely is reading in the garden, and no the book is not lovely its engrossing, i think you are a fan of Neil gaiman aren't you its very Neverwhere with a religious cultish twist, almost finished now, climactic apocalyptic ending coming up....i hope

I am indeed a fan of Gaiman and Neverwhere so happens to be my favourite by him, so any similarities with that would be a definite selling point :lol: I'm also into my Greek mythology, which is why when I saw the title of this I did a double-take and thought, oooh interesting! I really need to try some Mieville soon, I think it'll end up being a toss between this and The City & The City, which also sounded awesome.

You are putting the rest of us to shame, frankie! :lol: Finished Shadow by Karin Alvtegen, started Bad Blood by S J Rozan.

Now now, don't make any hasty conclusions. See, I've done nothing but reading this weekend, a very anti-sociable 2-3 days for me. Some might think that's very pathetic, me being one of them, but rather than wasting my time wondering where everyone else is and why I haven't been invited to all the lovely BBQs there must have been around, I decided to not give a toss and enjoy my books :D Ha!

Pathetic? No, never!!! I thoroughly approve of doing nothing but reading :D

Me too!

I'm listening to Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett whilst sewing :lol:

Finished The Lunatic Cafe this afternoon, and pondering what to read next.

I ordered that last night along with the next one, can't remember the title now :lol: I hope it's still as good!

I did a little bit of reading last night, 3 pages to be exact :D

Finished Dry Store Room No.1 by Richard Fortey yesterday. Started and read 100 pages of The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jaqueline Kelly today (not amused that I was flicking through the pages and page 165/6's corner has been ripped and was folded down, I bought it brand new in hardback from Amazon, damn it, besides that it is a very charming book! :lol:

Also been reading various id guides of bats and shield/squash bugs and a bit on the archaeology of animal bones.

I'm 100 pages into a 700 page historical novel,Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman set during the reigns of Richard The Lionheart and King John. Very good.

Absolute rubbish reading day. Spent the day relaxing on a sun-lounger and should have read but the radio was on, and then the golf, and I couldn't concentrate.

Did listen to some more of Inkdeath on my ipod though, it's getting exciting.