Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I remember reading about 30 pages of We Have Always Lived In The Castle before sleep :roll:

My signed copy of Heresy by S J Parris turned up today. It's a hardback, too - that'll look impressive on the bookshelves.

Also got a pre-publication manuscript copy of a forthcoming book called Plague Child by Peter Ransley, who I think is a new author. More historical fiction. It starts:

One cloudy September evening in 1625 Matthew Neave drove the cart, with the bodies he had collected, to the edge of the River Cherwell. Seven bodies: they would not pay him much for that.

I've already read the first chapter, and it looks promising.

I bought Tales from the White Hart by Arthur C Clarke today. This doesn't count towards my TBR pile though because I already have these stories in a mammoth collection of all of Clarke's short stories. I just wanted these particular tales on their own.

I also bought a couple of gorgeous bookmarks from a bookshop in a lovely country town.

Picked up the following from the charities today:

The Secret History - Donna Tartt

The Loving Spirit - Daphne Du Maurier

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke

I was particularly please with the Strange & Norrell as it is in pristine condition and only

I was particularly please with the Strange & Norrell as it is in pristine condition and only

Most-excellent purchase, Mexicola!! I too loved The Secret History and can't wait for you to read it :roll:. I have Jonathan Strange on my TBR shelf so hopefully I'll get to it this year since I've heard many good things about it from the fine folk here on BCF. I haven't heard of The Loving Spirit, but really, anything by Du Maurier is bound to be good. I've only read her Rebecca, but would like to explore more.

Choices, choices, Frankie! Choose wisely, grasshopper! :D

Choices, choices, Frankie! Choose wisely, grasshopper! :D

That's a very scary statement :D Harvey gives me the creeps. Unless you were referring to someone else with that quote. Fortunately I just did 30 minutes of zumba so he'd be pleased. Now I can dive into any book I want for the rest of the day :roll:

That's a very scary statement :D Harvey gives me the creeps. Unless you were referring to someone else with that quote. Fortunately I just did 30 minutes of zumba so he'd be pleased. Now I can dive into any book I want for the rest of the day :roll:

Who's Harvey? I was thinking of an old Japanese karate master speaking to his pupil, like in Karate Kid or Kung Fu :lol:. I'm sorry I scared you, Frankie! Dive away! :D

Who's Harvey? I was thinking of an old Japanese karate master speaking to his pupil, like in Karate Kid or Kung Fu :D. I'm sorry I scared you, Frankie! Dive away! :roll:

Ah so that's where it comes from! Thanks for the cultural update of frankie. I was thinking about Harvey, the boot camp trainer in Celebrity Fit Club :D

Finished The Carrie Diaries last night. It was a fun and quick read, felt like a separate Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City until the end of the book when they tie it in. I liked it, definitely not the greatest book but it was a great light book to read!

Also, yesterday I picked up The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley :roll:

Todays task, deciding which book to read next...I have SO many on my TBR pile.

I finished Alias Grace, really enjoyed it, i've decided to read Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier next. The football will be on in our house tonight so i should get a sizeable chunk read then.

I had 4 pages of Circus of the Damned left to read when Doctor Who started, so I had to put it down :lol: I've now finished it!

Really enjoying the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series so far, and have book four from the library waiting to go next.

I had 4 pages of Circus of the Damned left to read when Doctor Who started, so I had to put it down :D I've now finished it!

Really enjoying the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series so far, and have book four from the library waiting to go next.

Oh me too! Glad you're enjoying it as well :D I must get round to getting the next ones. Have you read the vampire series by Raven Hart? I think you would like them too. :lol:

Oh me too! Glad you're enjoying it as well :lol: I must get round to getting the next ones.

I've been really lucky as well, as the library seem to have bought some new copies with the new cover, so apart from the first one, all the ones I've borrowed, I've been the first reader, so it's been like having my own book, without the hassle of having to find space on my bookshelves after I've finished!

Have you read the vampire series by Raven Hart? I think you would like them too. :lol:

Don't give me more ideas! I'm up to my neck in series of books as it is. :D

You know I can't resist your suggestions, so now I'm off to Amazon to check out Raven Hart :D

I'd started Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, but was sidetracked by The Many Loves of Charles II by Jean Plaidy. I'm about half way through it now, but life keeps interfering. :lol: