Kat's Reading 2007

Lilywhite

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to get Gregory Maguire ~ Son of a Witch today, which is the follow up to Wicked. I'm going to make a start on that one this week.

Ten years after the publication of Wicked, bestselling novelist Gregory Maguire returns to the land of Oz to follow the story of Liir, the adolescent boy left hiding in the shadows of the castle when Dorothy did in the Witch.

A decade after the Witch has melted away, the young man Liir is discovered bruised, comatose, and left for dead in a gully. Shattered in spirit as well as in form, he is tended by the mysterious Candle, a foundling in her own right, until failed campaigns of his childhood bear late, unexpected fruit.

Liir is only one part of the world that Elphaba left behind. As a boy hardly in his teens, he is asked to help the needy in ways in which he may be unskilled. Is he Elphaba’s son? Has he power of his own? Can he liberate Princess Nastoya into a dignified death? Can he locate his supposed half-sister, Nor, last seen in shackles under the Wizard’s protection? Can he survive in an Oz little improved since the death of the Wicked Witch of the West? Can he learn to fly?

In Son of a Witch, Gregory Maguire suggests that the magic we locate in distant, improbable places like Oz is no greater than the magic inherent in any hard life lived fully, son of a witch or no.

I have finished reading KW's book, Dancing With His Heart today whilst O's was playing on the computer. It was very very good, and I'm not just saying that because she reads the threads :friends0: I loved how descriptive the dancing and colourful oufits where and not to mention the down to earth side of Lauren and her family life which made you like her even more. Good Job KW and I look forward to reading more. :D

I'm about half way through Son of a Witch as it's a much easier read than Wicked. Just as good story wise though and very entertaining. It's a definite recommendation if you've read and enjoyed Wicked. I love Gregory Maguire's style, wit and story telling ability.

It's set straight after TWOO so basically the place is in chaos as the wizard left and nobody is really ruling it. Hope that makes sense Amy :D

I was very very very naughty today and bought 3 books in Waterstones. I blame O's as he was buying books too. He left me alone to pay for his and 3 books just jumped at me and begged to be taken home as they were desperately unhappy sitting on the shelf..... what's a girl to do?

I managed to get

Ken Dornstein ~ The Boy Who Fell Out Of The Sky

Kevin Brockmeier ~ The Brief History Of The Dead

John Boyne ~ The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas

The bottom two were recommended in the Guardian this morning and instead of putting them on my Want to read pile, they get to go on my TBR pile :) (And No, I'm not affected by advertising in any way shape or form)

Went to Borders today with my mum and O's and bought two books that were on special offer. So I'm very pleased with my bargains. I got Sam Enthoven ~ The Black Tattoo and Markus Zusak ~ The Book Thief

I also managed to finish Son of a Witch as there was nothing on TV. So now I'm going to make a start on one of my new books Ken Dornstein ~ The Boy Who Fell Out Of The Sky

On December 21, 1988, David Dornstein died in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie in Scotland. He left behind a younger brother, Ken, desperate to understand his death, and pick up the pieces of what he left behind.

But far from being a simple rescue mission, Ken's quest became a labour of love, an obsession, and an emotional journey to much stranger places than he ever could have imagined...

I got Sam Enthoven ~ The Black Tattoo
I was given this one to review by CBUK when the site was still going - I rather enjoyed it. I think the review is kicking about on here somewhere, but if not, it's certainly on my On the Shelf blog (which you can find through my signature). I hope you'll enjoy it.:D

I have finished the Borgia Bride now, I got through the last of it lounging in the bath after a particularly hard day at work. Very good book, along the lines of Gregory and her historical fiction books, very likeable main character and some interesting history in there too.

Still making progress with The Boy Who Fell To Earth

I'm going to make a start on Emma Darwin ~ The Mathematics Of Love at work this week, I should be reading OU stuff but it's not as interesting as the other books on my TBR pile :lol:

Remember this moment. These moments are rare. You are about to discover your favourite book of the year, the book you will give to all your friends, the book that will linger in your thoughts long after you've turned the final page. You are about to discover "The Mathematics of Love." From the gentle Suffolk countryside to the battlefields of Waterloo and the ports of Spain, this is an extraordinarily moving account of war and the pain of loss, the heat of passion and the redemptive power of love.