Kat's Reading 2007

Lilywhite

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to finish Brother Grimm today, mostly whilst at work (tee hee). I really enjoyed this book, I especially liked the intricacies in the plot, the twists and turns to keep you on your toes.

Just going to make a start on J.M. Warwick ~ An Open Vein by our very own K.W. Looking forward to this one :blush:

He's a doctor, of course I trust him. Or I did, once.

I haven't eaten since yesterday. He had scrambled eggs and toast fro breakfast. The smell seeps at me from beneath the locked door. The gnawing in my stomach never goes away but it's not from lack of food. Up until yesterday, I've been able to eat. Until yesterday, I was able to do almost anything I wanted within the two thousand square feet of this place.

Things are different now.

Well, due to the monumentally busy day I had at work I managed to start and finish this one today. I was impressed with this book, although I did think it started a bit slow. The story did progress well and I love the way you end up almost as confused as the character about Kane's motivations. Very tense and a great page turner.

Not sure what I will pick up next, will decide in a bit.

So, an update I think. Whilst I have 5 minutes to spare.

Friday I read An Open Vein ~ J.M.Warwick

Saturday I read Guilty Pleasures ~ Laurell K Hamilton

Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.

Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive.

Sunday I read The Laughing Corpse ~ Laurell K Hamilton

Harold Gaynor offers Anita Blake a million dollars to raise a 300-year-old zombie. Knowing it means a human sacrifice will be necessary, Anita turns him down. But when dead bodies start turning up, she realizes that someone else has raised Harold's zombie--and that the zombie is a killer. Anita pits her power against the zombie and the voodoo priestess who controls it. Notice to Hollywood: forget Buffy the Vampire Slayer; Anita Blake is the real thing.

Monday I read The Circus of The Damned ~ Laurell K Hamilton

The third novel of Hamilton's Anita Blake series has the petite necromancer fighting a giant cobra and a rogue vampire, Alejandro, who wants her for his human servant. Anita is still resisting the advances of Jean-Claude, St. Louis's master vampire, but she does need him on her side, if not in her bed. Anita's reluctant involvement in the odd goings-on at the supernatural Circus of the Damned introduces her to Richard, the werewolf of her dreams, and Larry, her powerful but nervous partner in zombie-raising.

Tuesday I read Twighlight Children ~ Torey Hayden

From the author of the phenomenal "Sunday Times" bestsellers "One Child" and "Ghost Girl", comes a startling and poignant memoir of three people's victimisation and abuse - and their heartbreaking but ultimately successful steps to recovery, with the help of Torey Hayden, an extraordinary teacher. Two children trapped in a prison of silence and a woman suffering in the twilight of her years - these are the cases that would test the extraordinary courage, compassion and skill of Torey Hayden and ultimately reaffirm her faith in the indomitable strength of the human spirit. While working in the children's psychiatric ward of a large hospital, Torey was introduced to seven-year-old Cassandra, a child who had been kidnapped by her father and was found dirty, starving and picking though rubbish bins to survive. She refused to speak, so Torey could only imagine what she'd been through. Drake, by contrast, was a charismatic four-year-old who managed to participate fully in his pre-school class without uttering a single word. Then, there was Gerda, eighty-two, who had suffered a massive stroke and was unwilling to engage in conversation with anyone. Although Torey had never worked with adults, she agreed to help when all other efforts had failed.

As you can see I have been a busy girl :D

Today I made a start on Joe Hill ~ Heart-Shaped Box

'Buy my stepfather's ghost' read the e-mail. So Jude did. He bought the dead man's suit, delivered in a heart-shaped box, because he wanted it: because his fans ate up that kind of story. It was perfect for his collection: the genuine skulls and the bones, the real honest-to-God snuff movie, the occult books and all the rest of the paraphanalia that goes along with his kind of hard/goth rock. But the rest of his collection doesn't make the house feel cold. The bones don't make the dogs bark; the movie doesn't make Jude feel as if he's being watched. And none of the artefacts bring a vengeful old ghost with black scribbles over his eyes out of the shadows to chase Jude out of his home, and make him run for his life ...

It wasn't a bad book, it just didn't blow my socks off. I reserve a 5 rating for absolutley fantastic books, so a 4 is great, a 3 is ok, a 2 below par and 1 is poor.

I still really enjoyed it although it was slow in places.

Hope you enjoy it too

Just another quick update to the ol' TBR pile. I picked up Fallen Skies ~ Philppa Gregory on the car boot for 50p. (another bargain :) ) and a couple more swaps arrived today so I'm happy.

As a pennance I did update my swaps list and added a few more books to RISI.

Such a good girl am I.

I have decided to give Margaret Atwood ~ Alias Grace a go seen as everyone else is :)

In 1843, a 16-year-old Canadian housemaid named Grace Marks was tried for the murder of her employer and his mistress. The sensationalistic trial made headlines throughout the world, and the jury delivered a guilty verdict. Yet opinion remained fiercely divided about Marks- -was she a spurned woman who had taken out her rage on two innocent victims, or was she an unwilling victim herself, caught up in a crime she was too young to understand? Such doubts persuaded the judges to commute her sentence to life imprisonment, and Marks spent the next 30 years in an assortment of jails and asylums, where she was often exhibited as a star attraction. In Alias Grace, Margaret Atwood reconstructs Marks's story in fictional form. Her portraits of 19th-century prison and asylum life are chilling in their detail.

Was very very very naughty today and spent :D amount of money in Waterstones. Well, the money was burning a hole in my bank account and it is payday this week..... :D

Amongst others I picked up 19 minutes ~ Jodi Picoult which I'm really looking forward to and it was half price too.... bargain. I can't quite remember what the other books were but I'll update my list later.

Just updated my TBR mountain with the books I bought the other day, Keith Dobohue ~ The Stolen Child, James Robertson ~ The Testament of Gideon Mack, John Connolly ~ The Book of Lost Things There was one more but I can't remember what it's called, I will have to wait until O's finishes reading it.