Kat's Reading 2007

Lilywhite

Oooops, I forgot to update this thread. Although I'm sure I did :lol:

I finished Maggie's Tree but wasn't blown away by it. It was a good story although a bit disjointed and hard to follow. But I suppose that was the point of it.

I then picked up Undead and Unreturnable ~ Mary-Janice Davidson

Just when Betsy Taylor thinks she's adjusted to her after-life as a vampire queen, fate intervenes. It's bad enough having to view your own gravestone but now Betsy's even started seeing dead people - an assortment of demanding ghosts who are determined to make her do their bidding. Betsy also has some personal stuff to deal with - not least of which is planning her Spring - and midnight - wedding to Sinclair. Meanwhile her half-sister is starting to display signs of inheriting her real mother's temper. And when your mother's the devil, that's a real cause for concern...

I think I've read this one out of order because there's some story missing, although I do have another book to read in this series which may be the missing peice of the puzzle for me. Another great vamp/chick-lit book which doesn't take much thinking about. I love Betsy Taylor. :D

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having moved all my bookshelves back into place now, I finally managed to get my hands on Close ~ Martina Cole so I've made a start on that one. So far so good :D

Highly acclaimed for her hard-hitting, uncompromising and compelling writing, as well as her phenomenal Number 1 success, Martina Cole is the only author who dares to tell it like it is.

After the recent runaway success of THE TAKE, Martina's new novel, CLOSE, is the story of the women who are left behind. Set in London's dark and violent gangland, this novel tells the tale of a gutsy mother and her two sons, and their lives in and out of jail. With her characteristically haunting writing and visceral subject matter, Martina Cole, has written yet another compulsive bestseller.

I finished this today at work and I loved it. Another brilliant piece of work by Martina Cole, and a bit epic if you ask me.

Very gritty and violent but not in an over the top way. I do love her books.

Now I'm going to start a book I got from the library last week Ann Cleeves ~ Hidden Depths

A hot summer on the Northumberland coast, and Julie Armstrong arrives home from a night out to find her son murdered. Luke has been strangled, laid out in a bath of water and covered with wild flowers. This stylized murder scene has Inspector Vera Stanhope and her team intrigued. But then a second body - that of beautiful young teacher Lily Marsh - is discovered laid out in a rock pool, the water strewn with flowers. Now Vera must work quickly to find this dramatist, this killer who is making art out of death. Clues are slow to emerge from those who had known Luke and Lily, but Vera soon finds herself drawn towards the curious group of friends who discovered Lily's body. What unites these four men and one woman? Are they really the close-knit, trustworthy unit they claim to be? As local residents are forced to share their private lives and those of their loved ones, sinister secrets are slowly unearthed. And all the while the killer remains in their midst, waiting for an opportunity to prepare another beautiful, watery grave ...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I won't be reading any more books by Ann Cleves. This was quite frankly, boring. I couldn't wait to finish it and the only reason I persevered was so it didn't beat me. From about a third of the way in I lost all interest and the remaining characters I just didn't care about. It's a shame because it looked so good. :lol:

I've now started reading The Taken ~ Sarah Pinborough from our bookring.

She's a beautiful little girl, only ten years old with pretty blond curls. Why, then, does she strike such terror into all who see her? Because she died thirty years ago—a horrible, agonizing death in the middle of a raging thunderstorm.

Tonight the storm has returned... and so has she; to exact revenge on those responsible for her death.

But there is more to the storm that carries her than even she knows, and as innocent Alex battles to save those she loves from the vindictive ghost of Melanie Parr, she discovers that terrible folklores can sometimes be true.

Sometimes, there are worse things to fear than death.

Well I won't be reading any more books by Ann Cleves. This was quite frankly, boring. I couldn't wait to finish it and the only reason I persevered was so it didn't beat me. From about a third of the way in I lost all interest and the remaining characters I just didn't care about. It's a shame because it looked so good. :lol:

I didn't like the characters at all either, so will cross her off!

• 1 month later...

I started and finished The Color of Magic ~ Terry Pratchett but it took me ages because I've been working sooooo much. I really enjoyed it even though I have heard some negative things about his earlier works. A great introduction to the discworld and a couple of it's greatest characters.

Twoflower was a tourist, the first ever seen on the Discworld. Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant idiot. Somewhere on the frontier between thought and reality exists the Discworld, a parallel time and place which might sound and smell very much like our own, but which looks completely different. It plays by different rules. Certainly, it refuses to succumb to the quaint notion that universes are ruled by pure logic and the harmony of numbers. But, just because the Disc is different doesn't mean that some things don't stay the same. Its very existence is about to be threatened by a strange new blight: the arrival of the first tourist, upon whose survival rests the peace and prosperity of the land. But if the person charged with maintaining that survival in the face of robbers, mercenaries and, well, Death is a spectacularly inept wizard, a little logic might turn out to be a very good idea...

I read it years ago but remember enjoying it. I am going to get back into the discworld series soon, starting with Guards Guards. I'm glad you enjoyed it, from what I remember it was a very light and amusing read. I always liked the luggage, which I think appears in that one. It always struck me that J K Rowling could have been inspired to write Harry Potter by those wizardy discworld books. I wonder if she was.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I haven't updated this in a while.

Whilst I was on holiday I read The Boleyn Inheritance ~ Philippa Gregory which was a fantastic read. I really enjoy these books and this one was no exception.

From the bestselling author of 'The Other Boleyn Girl' comes a wonderfully atmospheric evocation of the court of Henry VIII, and the one woman who destroyed two of his queens. The year is 1539 and the court of Henry VIII is increasingly fearful at the moods of the ageing sick king. With only a baby in the cradle for an heir, Henry has to take another wife and the dangerous prize of the crown of England is won by Anne of Cleves. She has her own good reasons for agreeing to marry a man old enough to be her father, in a country where to her both language and habits are foreign. Although fascinated by the glamour of her new surroundings, she senses a trap closing around her. Katherine is confident that she can follow in the steps of her cousin Anne Boleyn to dazzle her way to the throne but her kinswoman Jane Boleyn, haunted by the past, knows that Anne's path led to Tower Green and to an adulterer's death. The story of these three young women, trying to make their own way through the most volatile court in Europe at a time of religious upheaval and political uncertainty, is Philippa Gregory's most compelling novel yet.

Since I've been back I've not had much time for reading but in the odd ten minutes or so that I've been able to snatch I've been reading The Firemaster's Mistress ~ Christie Dickason

In the troubled year of 1605, Papist plots are rife in the gaudy streets of Shakespeare's London as the fifth of November approaches ! Francis Quoynt, Firemaster, is recently returned from Flanders and dreaming of making fireworks rather than war. Instead, Quoynt is recruited by Robert Cecil, First Minister, to spy on Guido Fawkes and his fellow conspirators. Meanwhile, Sir Francis Bacon is scheming for high position and spying on Quoynt. Kate Peach, a glove maker, was Quoynt's lover before war took him away. Now living in Southwark, she is brought into grave danger. She is a secret Catholic. A fugitive Jesuit is concealed in her rooms. While Francis hopes to prevent the death of King James I and everyone in his parliament, Kate will have to save herself !

Now I'm off to start my 2008 list.... see you there