Holiday Reading 2010

SueK

I just had 3 days away, which is about as much of a holiday as I ever have. I took 3 books away with me but only read a bit of the first one.

I have a week and a half off soon but I'll be staying home so thankfully I don't have to make the tough decision of what to take with me and what to leave behind!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult decision but I have looked out three

:readingtwo:'The Cross-Country Quilters' ~ Jennifer Chiaverini (367 pages)

'On Chesil Beach' ~ Ian McEwan (166 pages)

'The Notebook' ~Nicholas Sparks (239 pages)

'Good Harbour' ~ Anita Diamant (309 page):D

Hoping that is enough to read :( I know I won't read them all unless I do absolutely nothing :D and skim read which I don't do. I always read every word.

Now the decision would be which to read first!:)

Difficult decision but I have looked out three

:readingtwo:'The Cross-Country Quilters' ~ Jennifer Chiaverini (367 pages)

Hoping that is enough to read :( I know I won't read them all unless I do absolutely nothing :D and skim read which I don't do. I always read every word.

Now the decision would be which to read first!:)

Read 'The Notebook' first Inver, its so pretty :D

OK...have set it asid as my first read :( I have seen the DVD...better mind my tissues!

I know pretty is an odd word for a book but its a lovely story :D Enjoy! :D

I spend most of my holidays reading, so I take a large selection of books with me, but rarely go for the bigger reads tending to stick with nothing bigger than 350 pages. I'll probably get through a book a day, so try and take 10-12 bookswith me for a week away, although I usually end up buying more while I'm there!

Apart from the 350 page rule, I just tend to take a selection from my huge TBR pile!

10-12, yikes! I'm deliberating over how many to take with me this year as we're going to be on a beach in the back of beyond for 17 days and I'll go through a lot of books. Limited to 20kgs luggage as we have to take a seaplane at the end of our journey. Planning to pack some and then buy more when we get through departures to get round the 5kgs hand luggage.

I hardly had a minute to do much reading at all with the 24 hour daylight and so much to see and do. I have out walking for up to 16 hours a day sometimes, with no reason to come back to wherever it was I was staying other than hunger or plain tiredness. Most of my reading then was on the plane back, when I finally managed to finish the one novel I took with me - an Icelandic one of course - My Soul to Take my Ydis Sigurddottir. It was an interesting kind of thriller/ghost story all rolled into one - you would have to understand the Icelandic pysche a bit to really understand what makes the characters tick.

I was hoping to bring some more Icelandic books home - some more sagas have been translated into English since I was last there, and I also hoped to get some of the works of Halldor Laxnes, Iceland's best known writer, but it is cheaper to get them at home, so once I know the size of this months credit card bill, I will order them from amazon.

I was looking yesterday at my 'Mount TBR Everest' after it toppled over, and I asked the boys to pick out one book for me and I would choose the restof them, for when we go away.

They chose the First Harry Potter book and my oldest is dying for me to like Harry Potter as all his friends parents love it. Oh dear so that is my reading for the summer. I hope and pray that I love it as much as you folks do.

I hope you like it too Catwoman. I remember not being particularly impressed by the first few books, after all the hype, but they really get better and better as they go along. :D

Thanks for the heads up. I remember when I was reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and i was thinking this is a pile of rubbish, and people on the forum were saying to keep at it, so I did and now I love the series.

So I will most definately keep on with the series, even if I don't like it I will for my son.

• 2 weeks later...

'The Cross-Country Quilters' ~ Jennifer Chiaverini (367 pages)

Read them all bar one, but started it before we came home which was The Cross Country Quilters. Was quite pleased with myself, think that is the most I have read when I have been on holiday! :)

I usually like to find something with a connection to the place I am visiting, but with so many unread books on my shelves, and so many I am longing to read I don't think I will be getting anything extra for holiday reading this year - especially as our holiday will consist of short stays in three counties.

First of all there is a long weekend in Cornwall, and I could take something by Daphne Du Maurier, but I will be with three old friends from my teens, one of whom is over from Australia for the first time in years. Can't see much reading being done there.

Then we move on to Dorset. I really ought to be taking something by Thomas Hardy, but we will be doing a lot of sight seeing in the four days we are there (including Max Gate, and Higher Bockington, of course), so again, not much reading time. I think I might resort to TH on audiobook so that I can walk and 'read' at the same time.

The following weekend we will spend on the Oxfordshire edge of the Cotswolds. There might be chance to read something short then. If so, it would probably be a mystery, there are a lot set in the Cotswolds.

It won't be an Agatha Raisin mystery 'though. I read through a boxed set of three last year. That's enough.

Most likely I will just continue with whatever is already on the go.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to Greece, Skiathos more specifically, and I'm taking seven books with me. Might not be enough because all I do is read on holiday, but the guy who owns the apartment has a little mini library of all the books people have left, so I'll find something if I'm struggling. I'm not taking short books though, so I should be okay. I'm excited now, I have the feeling I'll read more than I've done in a long time!

• 1 month later...

I am off to Cornwall in just over a week - just for six days as otherwise I won't have enough holiday left for the rest of the year (our holiday year runs until the end of March). I am not sure what book(s) I will take with me, apart from the obligatory guide book of course, so will have to consult the TBR pile. I have another Icelandic book by Ydis Sigurdottir (Ashes to Ashes) on the book shelf so maybe I will take that. I do like her books and this one is set in the Westman Isles which I was lucky enough to visit earlier in the summer.