Holiday Reading 2010

SueK

I think most of us agreed that when we go on holiday (in my case anyway) books are the first thing to be packed. I tend to think carefully what books I want to take away with me. I often like to take something that reflects the area we are going to. When we took a short trip to the Lakes back in September, I came across an excellent trilogy mystery series by Martin Edwards: The Coffin Trail; The Cipher Garden and The Arsenic Labyrinth. When we went to Majorca earlier last year I took a book on errrrr.......... Russia (well I couldn't find one about Majorca:mrgreen:).

This year we are off to Morocco (June) so if anyone knows of a good book that centres around this place - do let me know:).

What books are you taking on holiday this year?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm totally impressed by how organised you are! It has never occurred to me to plan reading material connected in some way to my destination (although I do remember once reading a Nigel Tranter novel set in the area of Scotland I was going to visit - I think that was more of a happy coincidence, though).

I usually err on the side of caution and take one or two more books than it would be possible for me to get through in the time I am away, and usually take a few different genres so that there is something that will suit me whatever mood I am in - which is much more careful planning than goes into my clothes packing, which tends to consist of whatever is clean on the day and suits the climate!

What books I will be taking with me this year will need a bit more thought, though...:lol:

I'm totally impressed by how organised you are! ...:lol:

More like a sad muppet Ooshie:lol:

Actually though, I find that if I take a book that centres around the area I'm in, it bring the book to life.

I used to go to South East France a lot (Pyrenees area) and I used to take books on Cathars so that I could pinpoint the area better.

Normally I go to Lundy for a couple of weeks and take at least 2 books for each week I am there, this year because I am going to Iceland and travelling around the country carrying everything on my back I have to be much more mindful of the weight, so don't expect to take more than one book with me - which by necessity will be a guide book, either the Rough Guide or more likely, Lonely Planet, plus of course maps of the various places I shall be visiting - in particular Skaftafell for the walking trails - I will have to buy that though when I get there, as I don't think you can get them in the UK.

I do intend however to visit the book shops in Reykjavik at the end of my trip and stock up on the English translations of various Icelandic sagas, as well as the supermarket for several large tubs of skyr. :censored:

I'm thinking of planning a great big driving holiday for a few months time, and the advantage of taking my own car is that I can fill it full of books. :censored: Not that I'll have much time to read because I'll be too busy driving. I'll have to look into audio books, I think.

I visited Hong Kong for a holiday in 2003 and I took 'Plum Island' by Nelson DeMille to read. When we returned in 2006 I took it with me again, and enjoyed it again.

When we next go back, I think Mr DeMille may be my author of choice yet again ~ it's become a tradition!

I visited Hong Kong for a holiday in 2003 and I took 'Plum Island' by Nelson DeMille to read. When we returned in 2006 I took it with me again, and enjoyed it again.

When we next go back, I think Mr DeMille may be my author of choice yet again ~ it's become a tradition!

That sounds interesting Chrissy. Excuse my ignorance, I've never heard of Plum Island - does it take place in HK.

Funny, when I was in HK back in the 70's I read Taipan and that book became so alive it nearly flew out at me. It was wonderful reading and being in the area where it all took place.

No it doesn't, but I tend to do my trip reading before and after a holiday, rather than during. I've read the James Clavell series, and it does add to the experience of visiting Hong Kong, even in the 2000's

Isn't it strange the habits we form? You read the location based books on your trip and I do it either side. :censored:

I'm on "holiday" at the moment, and have hardly read a thing. And I can't really explain why. I will say that personal experience of reading stuff related to my destination has been pretty ropey. I love reading books about places; but I've rarely struck lucky reading about places I'm currently in. I don't know if that's luck, or because physical knowledge weakens my desire for written knowledge.

Incidentally, my favourite Hong Kong novel is Fragrant Harbour by John Lanchester. Wonderful.

I'm debating which books to take with me on the plane ride next week to California. I believe its a 3ish hour flight so I'll probably end up taking 2-3 books. I've flown with this friend a good 6 times before and know she isn't a chatty one on the plane. Might be a good time to reread The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare.

• 1 month later...

I'm going on holiday next month (Volcanic Ash permitting:blush:) and I still can't decide what to take to read. Do I take light, easy reading (something like Darling Buds of May - complete), do I take some easy reading thrillers or historical fiction, do I go for heavy wartime/Russian Revolution that I can really get my teeth into, or something dark, ghostly and gothic that makes me jump.

Now please don't say take all of them as I can only take 15kg of luggage and I've got to pack a swimming costume haven't I:mrgreen:

What to do......:)

I'd suggest taking historical fiction. :)

The light fluffy stuff can be picked up cheaply at airports etc., so you can get your hands on some if required, and anything too heavy duty may clash with your holiday mood.

Where are you heading for your holiday?

I'd suggest taking historical fiction. :)

The light fluffy stuff can be picked up cheaply at airports etc., so you can get your hands on some if required, and anything too heavy duty may clash with your holiday mood.

Where are you heading for your holiday?

Good shout Chrissy:) I've one or two good historical ones waiting to be read from my TBR list (which I really need to get my teeth into) and I picked up some in good condition from the Charity Shop yesterday so the choice is good. I may though take some short stories too in case I get fed up with the others.

I'm off to Morocco so definately not taking Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses:mrgreen:

I like to take something with me that's either set in or by an author from the place Im' visiting. Hence, when I visited friends in Swindon a few years back, I took the first Thursday Next novel by Jasper Fford.

We're not going away anywhere this year though, so I don't have to think about what to take with me...

Well, we actually went away for a week earlier this year. I took twelve books with me, bought six more and read nine of them over the week. :)

Luckily we usually stick to the UK for holidays and take the car, so a bag of books will always be slotted into the boot/back seat :)

Well, we actually went away for a week earlier this year. I took twelve books with me, bought six more and read nine of them over the week. :)

*Is on knees and bowing down repeatedly*

I am not worthy! You are my queen and hero! :)

I used to read Sepulchre veeeryyyy slooowlyyy because my English level wasn't the same, now I think I can get along with it more easily... I love when Kate Mosse writes spelling mistakes in French, I find it cute when English or American authors miss French words. I read today in The Other Queen: "En ma fin est ma commencement" (in my end is my beginning). That's poetic, ok, but it's "MON commencement", cute :)

Normally I go to Lundy for a couple of weeks and take at least 2 books for each week I am there, this year because I am going to Iceland and travelling around the country carrying everything on my back I have to be much more mindful of the weight, so don't expect to take more than one book with me - which by necessity will be a guide book, either the Rough Guide or more likely, Lonely Planet, plus of course maps of the various places I shall be visiting - in particular Skaftafell for the walking trails - I will have to buy that though when I get there, as I don't think you can get them in the UK.

I do intend however to visit the book shops in Reykjavik at the end of my trip and stock up on the English translations of various Icelandic sagas, as well as the supermarket for several large tubs of skyr.

Nice! Have you been here before? And where do you plan to be travelling? Surely not the southern areas? I warn you, my sister lives there and everything's so covered up in ash right now that they're evacuating animals who are becoming burned under their own skin because of the fluorine in the ash. It's not a very desirable place to be backpacking either, as they all have to wear glasses and masks over their faces...

I see you mentioned Skaftafell though, I hope that's far enough - The scenery is beautiful, I can imagine it'd be fun walking the routes there. :) However, there have been a lot of earthquakes in the biggest volcano here this week under Vatnaj

Well looking at yesterday's news (yes, there was some - apart from the politics:lol:) the airports in Morocco are closed.:) I certainly hope that the situation changes by 9 June.

Skirnir: I would be very pleased if you and your friends could all blow the volcanic ash out towards the Atlantic.:)

Skirnir: I would be very pleased if you and your friends could all blow the volcanic ash out towards the Atlantic.:)

Oh we'll try our best! The real question is whether the other, bigger volcanoes will be "triggered" by the one erupting now and go off soon... I hope not. :)