Holiday Reading 2010

SueK

Great thread! As I have also been contemplating on what to take on holiday this year to St Tropez. Unfortunatly, I've been told that I can only take five with me. On my list will proberly be at least two Tom Sharpe books as they really make me giggle and lighten my mood even further!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have already started making my packing list for my trip to London next month but can't decide how many books to bring. The flight will be very long but I don't want to be tempted to read during the trip itself, so if I get into a really good book on the way there it might be torture to wait a week before being able to continue on reading *sigh* Dilemma, dilemma.

So my options are basically, risk it and bring books from Mount TBR or just bring a few I've already read before. Hm.... This will take some pro/con listing.

I have already started making my packing list for my trip to London next month but can't decide how many books to bring. The flight will be very long but I don't want to be tempted to read during the trip itself, so if I get into a really good book on the way there it might be torture to wait a week before being able to continue on reading *sigh* Dilemma, dilemma.

So my options are basically, risk it and bring books from Mount TBR or just bring a few I've already read before. Hm.... This will take some pro/con listing.

sorry CaliLily, but why don't you want to be tempted to read during the trip. If you have a very long flight, other than in-flight movies, what else can you do:)

It it were me, I'd bring books from Mount TBR - it helps to get the pile down.

sorry CaliLily, but why don't you want to be tempted to read during the trip. If you have a very long flight, other than in-flight movies, what else can you do:)

It it were me, I'd bring books from Mount TBR - it helps to get the pile down.

Oh I definitely plan to take reading with me on the plane, but if I end up in a particularly good book and don't finish it before arriving at my destination then I'll read it on the trip itself until finished. :) I can just see it now, me sitting outside the Tower of London reading instead of exploring. Thats just how my mind works. Once a good book gets in it HAS to be finished before life can resume.

Thanks Kylie! I'm really excited too!

Oh I definitely plan to take reading with me on the plane, but if I end up in a particularly good book and don't finish it before arriving at my destination then I'll read it on the trip itself until finished. :) I can just see it now, me sitting outside the Tower of London reading instead of exploring. Thats just how my mind works. Once a good book gets in it HAS to be finished before life can resume.

Thanks Kylie! I'm really excited too!

OK, got you! I do hope you enjoy your trip to London and no, you definitely don't want to be reading sitting outside the Tower of London:lol: Maybe a good book of short stories on the plane?

I don't know, I seem to recall seeing some lovely big patches of green grass outside the Tower of London. I don't think you're supposed to go on the grass, but that didn't stop a couple of people when I was there. Looked like a nice reading environment to me. :)

Can you account for your movements on November 22nd 1963? I'm fairly sure that a grassy knoll came up in events that took place in Dallas that day! :D

In my defence that was 22 years before my birth, making my mother all of 7 years old. :D

Course, never having tapped into my prior incarnations I cannot say for sure it wasn't me in another life... :D

In my defence that was 22 years before my birth, making my mother all of 7 years old. :D

Course, never having tapped into my prior incarnations I cannot say for sure it wasn't me in another life... :D

I'm going to be keeping an eye on you.....with these incarnations you never can tell what may still be lurking. :D

Being chased by a beefeater would certainly be a good holiday story to tell. :D You better wait until the last day of your holiday though just in case they want to deport you. :D I'll be waiting anxiously to see the footage on YouTube.

Being chased by a beefeater would certainly be a good holiday story to tell. :D You better wait until the last day of your holiday though just in case they want to deport you. :D I'll be waiting anxiously to see the footage on YouTube.

Oh don't worry. Its always been a dream of mine to get chased by strangely dressed British men in big fuzzy hats and then post it on YouTube with an old Looney Tunes track playing for background sound. Looks like that one can be checked off the Bucket List...

:D

• 3 weeks later...

For this summer I have joined a course in thriller/crime novels. I have recently gotten the list of books we are supposed to read these 10 weeks, and they are;

Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep

Agatha Christie - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

Ann Cleeves - Raven black

Arthur Conan Doyle - A study in scarlet

Jan Guilliou - The honourable murderer

Steig Larsson - The girl with the dragon tattoo

There are some fantastic titles here!

I don't think I'll be able to afford to go on holiday, but I have a month and a half break between my dissertation submission in August and my PhD starting in October. Because I'm so buys reading books for my course at the moment, I'm starting to put aside books I really want to read for that break. So far I have:

The Ask and the Answer, Patrick Ness,

Brooklyn, Colm Toibin

Oracle Bones, Peter Hessler,

Unseen Academicals, Terry Pratchett,

The Carbon Diaries, Saci Lloyd

The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

Look at all those books, already!

Im heading out to Jamaica this year to visit my nan with a few other family members its my birthday just before then so i have asked for a few books which im planning to take on my holiday. The flight alone is 10 hours and we are staying out there for 3 1/2 weeks so I have decided I am going to need quite a few books. I plan to take, The short second life of Bree Tanner, Linger and the first two books from Douglas Adams Hitchhickers guide to the galaxy. I am still new to reading so i am trying as many different books as possible :blush:.

A holiday in Jamaica? Lucky you! Trying lots of different books sounds a good idea, you will soon get a good idea of what you enjoy and what you don't. If you are anything like me, the forum will soon introduce you to lots of books you would never even have thought of! :blush:

Well, I'm going on hols on Tuesday and I still don't know what to take to read. I keep packing some books, then taking them out again. I was quite keen to take The Crimson Petal and the White but is such a heavy book (for a paperback) that it will take up some precious luggage allowance.

Whatever I decide take, it will now probably be books I purchased from charity shops where it doesn't matter if they get sun lotion on them and I can then leave them behind in the hotel.

Now ... a bit of crime perhaps; nothing to plot heavy.; a bit of fun ......:blush:

EUREKA:mrgreen:

Apart from some short stories, I am taking Apartment 16 based on the reviews on here by Michelle and on Amazon. Why, I even left work early on Friday to get it in Smiths before the shop closed.:blush:

• 1 month later...

We are off on hols on Friday (Center Parcs, Penrith:boogie:) and I was just thinking I will have to be choosing some books to take with me. Now, do I take a big read with me, or a 2-3 thinner easy reads, so I can actually add to my 'books read this year' list.:friends0:

So are you off anywhere nice and if so what are your reads when away:readingtwo:

I'll come back and edit this when I have decided.

We are off for a few days next weekend to North Wales.

I will be taking 'The Hobbit' that I am slowly re reading, 'A Certain Slant Of Light', a book I so very much want to read as I just know I will adore it. I tried to start this at the height of of my missing mojo time, and I KNOW I will love it. I'm also taking a couple of local area (to North Wales) history books and some castle info. :friends0:

I say take a few books Inver ~ a few different ones to suit any mood.

PS Have a lovely time. :D

I spend most of my holidays reading, so I take a large selection of books with me, but rarely go for the bigger reads tending to stick with nothing bigger than 350 pages. I'll probably get through a book a day, so try and take 10-12 books with me for a week away, although I usually end up buying more while I'm there!

Apart from the 350 page rule, I just tend to take a selection from my huge TBR pile!