Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read several more chapters of The Well of Lost Plots. I'm really enjoying it, even though some of Thursday's adventures seem completely random. She goes off with one character and doesn't do much, then another character comes and picks her up and takes her off to do...not much. Puzzling, but still enjoyable. :lol:

Yes WoLP is a bit like that, but it comes together at the end :lol: Some of the seemingly random events are taken up in Something Rotten btw.

as for me read more of 'Palace walk' - it is getting more complex now and even more engrossing :D

Thanks Rob :lol: I'm enjoying the references to various characters from the Nursery Crimes books, of which I've read The Big Over Easy. I love feeling clever when I understand various literary references. It's even better when I've just recently read the book being referenced and I think 'phew! I wouldn't have understood that a few weeks ago!' :lol:

I have just finished A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews. Tbh, I'm disappointed. As I reflect on the book all I can think is "that was rubbish, I'm glad its finished". IT was disjointed and for the most part made no sense, and things weren't resolved

I'm still trying to read Cell but I've now hit a block which isn't good. :lol:

Also, I got three Anne Rice books in the post thanks to Lilywhite :lol: I have waited so long to read these that it probably won't be long until I've finished them :D

The third novel is Evil at Heart and it was published only last year. I totally agree with

what you said about Archie, in the first novel it seemed only like make-believe and then we find out it's been for real. Really shocking, I loved that twist and that's why I loved it more than the first book :lol:

I can't figure how she had the strength to go on. I'm just glad it wasn't a true story, thank goodness!

I read more of Helter Skelter last night and will be continuing it today, quite naturally :lol:

I agree, Sweetheart was definitely better than the first book!

I finished Push last night. Such a great novel! the subject matter was difficult, as well as the writing but i love books that evoke emotions! Precious is a tough girl! (I'm also glad it wasn't a true story) I highly recommend this book :D

Last night I read about another 100 pages of The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. It's different, clever and very entertaining.

I had to go to a meeting today, so on the way home I popped in Waterstones at Bond Street. I had some money left on a gift card so I bought Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

Read a bit more of Turncoat Jim Butchers Dresden Files, I do look the series, also hit the proceed to checkout on Amazon so some new Modesty Blaise books should be arriving over the next couple of days :D

Just finished Beneath The Bleeding by Val MacDermid; that's about my fifth of hers & time for a change. Was OK; kept me in there; just.:D

About to start Flesh House, my 1st Stuart MacBride novel. Seems a well recommended author.

Here goes...

Jim

Haven't done any reading for the past few days as have been away at Mum's, had to read the last few pages of 'Arthur & George' to remind myself of the storyline so far. It has just come as a massive surprise to me that (despite it being a novel) the Arthur in the title is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ... I had absolutely no idea despite him being called Arthur and Dr Doyle ... I just didn't put the two together especially as I thought it was purely fictional. My interest in it has increased tenfold.

Read about 90 pages of Why Evolution is True by Jerry A. Coyne today. It's such a beautiful book. So simple and easy to read and understand. It has pretty drawings too :D. I haven't read any Dawkins stuff in a while but for me Coyne is better so far. At least when it comes to explaining things in a clear way.

I have just finished A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews. Tbh, I'm disappointed. As I reflect on the book all I can think is "that was rubbish, I'm glad its finished". IT was disjointed and for the most part made no sense, and things weren't resolved

tried this myself a month ago - total twaddle about what i expect from a pretentious writer like toews.

Finished Love All the People. I'd read it before, but I'd lent it to a chum ages ago, and got it back at the weekend.

It's a bit repetitive at times, but it shows how Bill Hicks shaped his act.

I don't know if I'm looking forward to the forth coming biopic or not.

Started Doors Open by Ian Rankin, so far I'm finding it dull. I'll stick with it awhile and see if it improves. I'm not sure whether its the subject matter or whether I've been too tainted by Rebus. I'd hate to think I'd never read another Rankin book.

Finished Love All the People. I'd read it before, but I'd lent it to a chum ages ago, and got it back at the weekend.

It's a bit repetitive at times, but it shows how Bill Hicks shaped his act.

I gave this a re read not too long ago. It is amazing how much of the stuff is relevant today especially with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and whenever he mentions Bush Sr he could be talking about Bush Jr :D

I gave this a re read not too long ago. It is amazing how much of the stuff is relevant today especially with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and whenever he mentions Bush Sr he could be talking about Bush Jr :D

His loathing of manufactured music and celebrity endorsments is still right on the money.

Well ahead of his time.

I didn't read anything last night. I was too busy on Zoo Tycoon on my DS :D

My son loves that game.

As for me, I was able to put some reading time in today and read 100 pages of James Patterson 4th of July. It is good so far.

I started reading Up in the Air by Walter Kirn. Only finished the first chapter and I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm leaning towards the 'not liking it so much' side lol but I'm thinking its because this book isn't as fast paced as the last book I read. Debating sticking with it or switching to another book..