Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

A couple of chapters of Dying Light via my booklight while the lights were out for earth our...bit apt really given the title...lol. Hubby was reading a book called 'Darknesses'! :smile2:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankie, what time is it in Finland? You always seem to be up early. I imagine you bouncing out of bed like a rocket ready to start reading. ;)

:lol: It's now 11.28 daylight saving time, I think you Brits are 2 hours behind us Finns. This week I've been getting up early because I'm staying at BF's, he wakes up early every week day to go to the gym before school. I'm hoping this early waking routine stays with me when I go home, the days are longer that way :lol: And no I don't bounce out a bed like a rocket, I always want to sleep some more :smile2:

After finishing Eternal, I decided to read my first Non fiction of the year. That is the first Non read for pleasure. I seem to alwas read books for work, and never enough time for Non fiction.

So I am now reading: Apocalypse 2012; An optmist investigates the end of civilisation. by Lawerence E joseph.

Is the world really coming to an end in 2012? The answer frighteningly is 'maybe', according to the Bible, the I Ching, the Mayans, meteorologists and vulcanologists. Apocalypse 2012 is cheerful sceptic Laurence E Joseph's investigation into the 2012 Doomsday phenomenon. Journalist and science writer Laurence E Joseph is our incisive and witty guide unravelling the religious, astrological and mystical prophecies behind the potentially earth-shattering events of 2012. And at the core of this book is Joseph's investigation into the growing number of scientific researchers trying to figure out why conditions around our planet are becoming so bizarre. His adventures include: / Hooking up with the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement whose cheerful motto 'Live Long and Die Out' is now available as a tattoo. / Meeting the scientists who are trying to figure out why the present state of the sun is so worrisome -- is it just going through a phase or is something major going on? / Visiting Yellowstone National Park to see whether the seething supervolcano could soon stop civilisation dead in its tracks. / Exploring the possibility of a terrorist attack that could plunge the whole Northern Hemisphere into the equivalent of a nuclear winter. So, if 2012 really is going to be a year of unprecedented catastrophe, what can we do to increase our odds of surviving it? Should we head for the Kentucky hills or hightail it to Western Africa, where the Australian Doomsday 2012 enthusiast is staking his claim, or perhaps we'd be better blasting off for solar systems unknown? With its mixture of hard science, investigative reportage and cast of colourful characters, Apocaplyse 2012 is Fast Food Nation for the terminally paranoid.

***Edit*** changed book to World War Z by Max Brooks

Edited by catwoman
changed book.

Needed to do some stitching so couldn't read much yesterday ... listened to the first part of Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein' read by Richard Pasco .. very good but abridged unfortunately.

Ok so yet again I have changed my book. URGH!!!! I hate it when I feel like this.:smile2:

Just can't seem to get my head around World war Z and I know that I will like it and not heard a bad review, so it must be me. So I decided to read a light book and read Ross Kemp's Gangs II

Lets see how this goes. If not I think I will have to resort to a YA book inthe same genre I feel like ihave been reading all year. ;)

Good deal Mexicola!

Yesterday I bought Push by Sapphire and Stories I Wouldn't Tell Nobody But God...Out of Fear Nobody But God Would Understand by Rasheed Clark.

Seems like I've been investing in books more than reading them lately. :smile2:

Still bobbing along with Ian Rankin's Doors Open.....I'm a hundred pages in and no one died yet.....it might bore me into a coma though.

Library tomorrow. Needs must.

[insert yawning emoticon]

Have read about 100 pages of a Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian today and am really enjoying it thus far.

Have just been on Amazon and extended my TBR pile further by purchasing The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Sciety from my wish list. Whoops!

I finished the next section of Your Face Tomorrow by Javier Marias for the group read at conversationalreading.com. Tremendous literature, and a great read. What's it about? a bloodstain, betrayal, the Spanish Civil War, 007, the way we look at others.... Here's a good bit-

"How can I know today your face tomorrow, the face that is there already or is being forged beneath the face you show me or beneath the mask you are wearing, and which you will only show me when I am least expecting it?"

I

"How can I know today your face tomorrow, the face that is there already or is being forged beneath the face you show me or beneath the mask you are wearing, and which you will only show me when I am least expecting it?"

Was that a rhetorical question? My face is... there's a mask on my... I'm sorry, what did you want to know? :D