Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

I finished Tuesdays with Morrie last night, I thought it was equally as good as The Five people you meet in Heaven (both are written by Mitch Albom) but I shed more tears with Tuesdays with Morrie probably because it`s a true story.

Now I`ve made a start on Third Degree - Greg Iles

I`ve enjoyed the other books of his I`ve read, so it should be good. :D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a lot more of How I Live Now today. The whole time I'm reading this book, all I can think about is the bad review I'm going to write afterwards. :D I'm looking forward to moving on to something else. Thank goodness it's short.

I really loved it .. oh well, horses for courses and all that.

I read Ordinary Thunderstorms in one day yesterday on my Kindle. A great read, didn't leave me the least bit exhausted. Should I try to read another book today? I'm on vacation this coming week, nothing planned but r+r, I could set a personal best, reading-wise. I have no tbrs, so I better start looking!

Realised I'm getting very close to my next reading group meeting and hadn't started either book yet, so an unexpected couple of hours in Starbucks this morning, have found me 126 pages into A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon. Pretty good so far.

There are a number that do

Stolen

Broken

Frostbitten

there are others which are narrated by other memebers of the pack too,

but she also appears or is referred to in the others as well. the series of books are called the Otherworld series. so far they have all been good.

Thanks Pickle :cry2:

Nicola! Is this your first time reading the Kelley Armstrong series? They are SOO good! I read the first 3 and am itching to get my hands on the next one.

Hey Peace! Yeah it is and I loved it. I picked it up just after Christmas and read a few chapters but got sidetracked with the temptation of other books. I'll hopefully pick up the next book in town soon (although sensible Nicola is screaming at me to concentrate uni work thats beginning to tower over me :) Rebel Nicola is leading me by the hand into Waterstones :roll:)

I tried reading Wuthering Heights a few weeks ago and just couldnt get past the first page it just seemed to confuse me to the point where i couldnt move on so I gave up maybe try again some time but for the moment I think ill give it a miss let me know how you get on, if its worth giving another go.

Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite classics (maybe number 2 or 3 on the list) but at first I didn't understand who was supposed to be narrating which I think confused me. After a few false starts, I fell in love with it :lol: I hope you give it another go!

Hey Peace! Yeah it is and I loved it. I picked it up just after Christmas and read a few chapters but got sidetracked with the temptation of other books. I'll hopefully pick up the next book in town soon (although sensible Nicola is screaming at me to concentrate uni work thats beginning to tower over me :) Rebel Nicola is leading me by the hand into Waterstones :roll:)

Balance, Nicola! Just keep chanting that to yourself :cry2:. A little Uni, a trip to Waterstones, woo-hoo! I'm glad you enjoyed the Armstrong though. Weave, Charm and Kell got me hooked and for good reason! They are great reads :D.

Steeeeve, I'm sorry you didn't quite like The Historian as much as the rest of us. I'm glad you finished though and saw the end pick up a bit :lol:.

I read a few pages of PP&Z last night before bed but that's all I could manage before I drifted off. I'm hoping to squeeze more in today between cleaning and preparing food for the party tonight.

Well started and finished The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom today. Read about 150 pages in one sitting this morning and just read the last 50 now. Really enjoyed the book and will post my thoughts on it in my reading blog later. Am going to read Anthroplogy by Dan Rhodes next but might finish that today too as it is 101 stories that are all just over 120 words in length. Have read a couple so far and they quality is a bit hit and miss.

Today I went into my favourite book shop and bought:

*Cell - Stephen King

*Lisey's Story - Stephen King

*Boy Meets Girl - Meg Cabot

*Guy Next Door - Meg Cabot

*Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - JK Rowling

*Pub Landlord Book of British Common Sense - Al Murray

....all for

Finished Pop Co. amazing book, really got me thinking. Probably the best of the year so far. Was going to buy Wuthering Heights yesterday and start it today but I got a migraine on the way to town so went straight back home. May start The Rotter's Club instead.

Balance, Nicola! Just keep chanting that to yourself :roll:. A little Uni, a trip to Waterstones, woo-hoo! I'm glad you enjoyed the Armstrong though. Weave, Charm and Kell got me hooked and for good reason! They are great reads :lol:.

I try to balance....I really do! :):cry2:

*Cell - Stephen King

....all for

*Cell - Stephen King

....all for

Finished Nocturnes by John Connolly, which was very good, if you like short dark gothic stories read it, it also had a short Charlie Parker book in there.

Now going to finish Hells Belles by Paul Magrs which so far had not dissapointed

Edited by pickle

Well that was a bummer in every way! How did it end up on your list of dystopian reads? :)

It's on the list of dystopians I got from Wikipedia. I think a lot of people get confused between post-apocalyptic novels and dystopians, and How I Live Now wasn't even post-apocalyptic. It was just a war novel.

I really loved it .. oh well, horses for courses and all that.

If you thought it was good, I would highly recommend John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began. Now that is an excellent teenage war novel. How I Live Now just doesn't come anywhere near the high standards of Marsden's series.

I'm all of 10 pages into Wuthering Heights and quite enjoying it. Some of the old-style punctuation is a little confusing, but I'm getting used to it. I hadn't expected it to be quite so funny either.

Only 30 pages in to Black Sun Rising of the Coldfire trilogy but already loving it. If it starts as it means to go on then I can't wait to get lost in the series. I'm so gutted I'm back at work tomorrow so I won't be able to spend the whole day reading it.

Only 30 pages in to Black Sun Rising of the Coldfire trilogy but already loving it. If it starts as it means to go on then I can't wait to get lost in the series. I'm so gutted I'm back at work tomorrow so I won't be able to spend the whole day reading it.

Oh I'm thrilled!! :) *Grabs her copy and checks the haps on page 30*

Ahhh yes, you're getting the Religious gist of happenings. I love Chapter Three :cry2: Isn't the prologue AWESOME? :roll: I started a thread in the Sci-Fi/fantasy section, feel free to chat about it there as you read through.

One thing about the books I've always neglected to mention - they're SO easy to read.

At the used bookstore today, picked up:

Patricia Cornwell - All That Remains

Richard Montanari - Merciless

We Need to Talk about Kevin - Lionel Shriver (would be a re-read)

and Raja got one too.. forgot what that one was. Poor soul will probably take a year to pick it up, but for $1, whatever! We got all 4 books for $4.18!

My excitement waned slightly when I got home and realized the Montanari book is also called "Broken Angels" and I've already read it. Ah, well... if anyone shows interest in participating in a US book ring, I'll offer it up there, as well as my copy of WNTTAK since I've read it and I just bought it so I'd have my own copy in case Raja ever wants to read it. :)

Finished Anthropology by Dan Rhodes last night. It was a collection of 101 stories all just over 120 words long. After Reading gold last week I was very disappointed. I still really want to get his two other novels though. Hmmm what to start next...?

Oh I'm thrilled!! :) *Grabs her copy and checks the haps on page 30*

Ahhh yes, you're getting the Religious gist of happenings. I love Chapter Three :cry2: Isn't the prologue AWESOME? :roll: I started a thread in the Sci-Fi/fantasy section, feel free to chat about it there as you read through.

One thing about the books I've always neglected to mention - they're SO easy to read.

Haha. Damn. I'm wishing I hadn't stopped at Chapter Three last night. I really like the world she's created already. I'm trying really hard to take in all the details so as easy it is to read I'm going a bit slowly at the moment.

I'll try to save my comments for that thread rather than clogging up this one. I had kind of avoided it because I didn't want to see spoilers.

It's on the list of dystopians I got from Wikipedia. I think a lot of people get confused between post-apocalyptic novels and dystopians, and How I Live Now wasn't even post-apocalyptic. It was just a war novel.

Whatwhat whaat, I can't believe that of my best friend Wikipedia :) It's a real shame, the book not being what you were after and being a bad one as well.

Read more of Wuthering Heights. Slowly but steady.

I got three books in the mail today. One is fiction and two are non-fiction:

The Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope

This is a poem first published in 1712 and it's about a Baron who cuts a lock of hair from a beautiful young woman at a society gathering.

The Australian Editing Handbook by Elizabeth Flann & Beryl Hill

Freelancing for Australians for Dummies by Susan M Drake & Monica Davidson

Putting two and two together, you might be able to work out that I want to start a freelancing proofreading and editing business. :)

I've read 65 pages of Wuthering Heights today and I'm really enjoying it.