Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read another 70 pages of Water for Elephants. I'm about to start on Sylvia Plath's journals, and I received Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban in the mail this afternoon. :smile2:

Nothing yet today, is still early and I mean to get some uni work done first. Yesterday I managed to read about 150 pages of the Eye of the World though, am a little over halfway through it, and day after tomorrow part 2 will be delivered. :smile2:

I admit that the whole "Girl with the Dragon....." book phenomenon has escaped me. As far as i know there are 3 books in the series and they are very popular, so i may buy them and add then to my very long to be read list.

Has anyone here read all 3 books and would you recommend them?

I admit that the whole "Girl with the Dragon....." book phenomenon has escaped me. As far as i know there are 3 books in the series and they are very popular, so i may buy them and add then to my very long to be read list.

Has anyone here read all 3 books and would you recommend them?

I have read all three and loved them although they have had mixed reviewson here.

I am part way through Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris, enjoying it so far

I'll be reading a bit further in Flowers for Algernon today. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the book tomorrow or Wednesday because I'm really itching to start Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. My new boss is a big bookie too (yay! :smile2:) and wants to borrow my copy of Flowers for Algernon when I finish! This could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

That's great Abby! It's lovely being able to share books with work colleagues. I've had a few good conversations at work, but there aren't too many bookish people around. :smile2:

This is a wonderful book, harrowing and heartwarming. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

It truly is, I have no idea why I haven't read this before or why this hasn't been on one of our uni literature classes. Shameful! What I love about this novel so far is that the theme and events in the novel are truly awful and yet there are moments when I laugh out loud at how witty and clever Celie is. And the writing style is amazing, it's taken me right where the book is set. :smile2:

Edit: That's so great about your new bossie CaliLily! :roll:

Somehow I have never managed to acquire The Color Purple. I'll have to rectify that soon!

I would highly recommend it! It's also a really quick paced read and not that long either. (added bonus: you'll find the novel on the 1001 Books -list :smile2:)

I have counted up the books I have read this month and I have read 12! However I have bought 17! I am going to have to cut down on my buying habits as much as it pains me to do so!

On the up side if I cut down my buying to just 4 a month I can then afford prettier books! I only have to cut down until I have under 50 books in my TBR pile. That's cutting it down from over 100!:smile2:

Wish me luck...

I finished The Blackstone Key last night and man am I glad! It was a bit of a chore towards the end there, unfortunately. Hopefully I'll collect my thoughts and be able to post a review tonight. I'm not sure what to start next...

Today I got a package with a new book to review, one of Anna McPartlin's, and William Hussey's 'Dawn Of The Demontide', courtesy of the most lovely Michelle! :smile2: I'm thrilled!

ETA: My brother also finally finished the third Coldfire book so I've put I, Lucifer on hold until I get through this, as I don't know how it ends! My brother said it was perfect, and beyond that he was speechless, so *squee!*

Edited by Nollaig

I didnt realise the time, I have finished work and was going to settle down and read Shogun for a few hours but have to go back out at 3.30, so i've only managed 20 pages. :smile2:

Where did the last two hours go?

I love it when that happens. When I was a kid I was very dreamy and used to draw all the time. The right side of the brain is responsible for images and doesn't count time (which is a left brain function) I could actually FEEL it when my brain used to switch over when I started to draw or paint. I would always feel recharged and refreshed coming out of that. Sadly I seemed to lose that as I got older and life and school tries to turn you into a left brain, goal oriented person. I have found ways lately to get it back though.

For instance, I swim 100 lengths in the pool when I get time. I would count them all like a target and try to better my time. Then it hit me, why am I working so hard? This is supposed to be fun. So I deliberately stopped counting lengths and just would stay swimming for a certain amount of time instead. Immediately I found it more enjoyable, spiritually more fulfilling. My mind would wander wherever it wanted and time disappears. Sometimes the lifeguard would have to shout me it was time to get out.

I got back my copy of Breaking Dawn which I'd actually forgotten I'd loaned out - LOL! I didn't miss it though - I thought I'd already popped it on the Book Crossing shelf at The Belmont! :smile2:

I love it when that happens. When I was a kid I was very dreamy and used to draw all the time. The right side of the brain is responsible for images and doesn't count time (which is a left brain function) I could actually FEEL it when my brain used to switch over when I started to draw or paint. I would always feel recharged and refreshed coming out of that. Sadly I seemed to lose that as I got older and life and school tries to turn you into a left brain, goal oriented person. I have found ways lately to get it back though.

For instance, I swim 100 lengths in the pool when I get time. I would count them all like a target and try to better my time. Then it hit me, why am I working so hard? This is supposed to be fun. So I deliberately stopped counting lengths and just would stay swimming for a certain amount of time instead. Immediately I found it more enjoyable, spiritually more fulfilling. My mind would wander wherever it wanted and time disappears. Sometimes the lifeguard would have to shout me it was time to get out.

I think that may explain my lack of ability to meet deadlines at work then :roll:

I am like that generally though now that I think about it, time just happens.. I would like to point however that I was doing other things and it didnt take me 2 hours just to read 20 pages :smile2:

Right, back to Japan, I am supposed to be stuck in a cellar with a group of sailors, hope they hadnt noticed that I had left....

Just finished Abhorsen by Garth Nix. The final part of a trilogy. Probably not quite as epic feeling as something like His Dark Materials but still one of the best fantasy series I've read (not that I can say I've read many but...be quiet).

Such a satisfying ending.

And now going to read Trick or Treatment: Alternative Medicine on Trial by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst.

Edited by Steeeeve
Adding shiznit.

Took a lot of books back to the library and also left five of my books in the free book trolley, and I got me two psychology study books in return :roll: Happy me!

Also borrowed some books, including Alice Walker's Possessing the Secret of Joy and Gold by Dan Rhodes. Also noticed that the library had bought J. R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood -series :smile2: Now I can borrow the books at some point and not buy them.

Just finished Abhorsen by Garth Nix. The final part of a trilogy. Probably not quite as epic feeling as something like His Dark Materials but still one of the best fantasy series I've read (not that I can say I've read many but...be quiet).

Such a satisfying ending.

Love those books, they're amongst my favourites too. Have read them several times over already, but then that's easy cause they're such fast reads.

I read about a hundred pages of the Eye of the World again, just a bit more and I am done. :smile2:

I've been mulling over what to read next since I finished my last book last Thursday (yes, I know I'm slow and that some of you will have read four or five books in the meantime!).

My indecision has been down to not really knowing what I feel like reading next, and although I have several possibilities, most of them are books I've read before and I'm determined to read more new books this year.

Anyway, there I was this evening, doing the Monday night shop in Waitrose (meal + a bottle of plonk), and there on the shelf was the paperback version of One Day, by David Nicholls - problem sorted!

This is Nicholls last chance however; I enjoyed Starter for 10 until he ruined the end, if he does the same with this one, no more mister!