More football

Lilywhite

I haven't posted here for a while - Happy New Year!

Credit to you for at least trying to get the game on Inver! And great news for Glendale too - when's the semi-final?

Since I was last here we've beaten the champions, our local rivals AND our closest title rivals. It was a fantastic holiday period! Yesterday we had a 5-0 win in our defence of the cup to extend our winning run to 22 games. However, as optimistic as I normally am, we have Greenwich Borough in the FA Vase next Saturday and they seem a much better side than we've ever faced before. It should be interesting.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes.... :hny:

Wow...sounds like St A are playing really well just now. Good luck in the FA Vase...you should be in with a shout if you are playing well. Not sure when this semi-final game will be...depends on other fixtures and the all important and unpredictable weather I guess.!

Thanks Inver. The advantage of being in tropical Cornwall is that we only need to be concerned about the one type of weather - rain. Snow is an almost mythical substance down here!

The long journey to London (which seems halfway to the North Pole from here) paid dividends as we came away from Greenwich Borough with a fantastic 3-2 victory!

From over 500 clubs we're in the last 16 - feels like a dream at the moment!

How's it going for your boys Inver? Any improvement in the weather yet?

:doowapstart: fantastic stuff Sedge....last 16 of 500...woop...things are going great guns for them. Nothing to report from up north as the weather has put a dampener on all footie....pitches frozen for both lots of teams....looks like this weekend may be much of the same if things don't greatly improve.... :cold:

We're being extremely lucky with the weather down here. Lots of rain but our pitch is holding up well.

On Saturday we meet the league leaders - the only team to have beaten us in the league this season. It'll be epic (I hope)!

Go for the win Sedge. Not holding out for anything to report yet again this weekend unless there is a mega thaw....icy conditions underfoot on all surfaces at the moment.

U'17's Culter Colts don't have a game tomorrow...no fixture for them. Glendale an away fixture, doon the coast a bit from us...may/may not be on...see what the weather does in the night.

Oof! We've been there. Quite an experience isn't it?

We played the league leaders today and despite our early pressure they caught us on the break and scored with their first attack. From there they matched us until midway through the second half when we made a breakthrough and equalised. We were already waving goodbye to our winning run when our star striker and man of the match was substituted on ninety minutes. Incredibly though, in the 3rd and last minute of injury time, the sub buried the ball in the back of the net. That was the loudest roar I've ever heard at Poltair Park!

As an added bonus, the second-placed side also lost meaning that we're now two points behind the leaders with SIX games in hand. It was a good day.

Early call off for the 17's tonight....no games being played on council pitches tomorrow....have to wait and see if Glendale manage a game, which means Andy will be available to play if needed. If on will be their semi-final game they are still in. Rainy here at the moment.

Edited by Inver

And nae game for Glendale either....Andy having to listen to Aberdeen v Dundee Utd in the Scottish League cup semi....and Aberdeen have just gone 2-1 down...4 mins to go...

Dundee Utd win 2-1...so Aberdeen can't now retain the cup they won last year. Andy was hoping the would win and get a free meal again....that is what happened when Aberdeen won cup last year....all the staff were invited out.

Edited by Inver

The winning run finally came to an end last night with a 2-1 defeat in the League Cup. It was suggested that with an FA Vase match coming up on Saturday, we weren't really bothered with this cup. However, this is the competition in which we were beaten finalists last year so we REALLY wanted to win it. Ten years ago our opponents were at the very bottom tier of local football so their rise has been astonishing. Godolphin Atlantic are a name to look out for over the next couple of years. And we have to play them in the league in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Sedge

Yesterday's match exceeded expectations with a 2-0 win to reach the quarter-finals of the FA Vase! We had our biggest crowd for over 40 years (877). That got close to the club's record attendance (15,000)!

Overall I'm a happy man this Sunday.☺

Any joy with your weekend Inver?

Oops...forgot to check in....no U'17's last weekend or this...becoming a bit of betting game as to when they will get to play again. Frozen pitches now soggy as the rain came.

Glendale had a 1-0 victory last weekend....the goal being a total scrappy one due to the opposition goalie fumbling the ball and our man just being there to walk it in to the goal. Frustating for Andy again though....as he was available to play, told them he could, turned up and pre match talk saying he was one of their good technical players...then in the next breath he isn't there for much of the training sessions. They know his situation working until 7 and gets there as soon as he can albeit sometimes only for 30 minutes but turns up....outcome he didn't even get to strip up to be on the bench..yet again....totally pi...ss...ed off at the moment. No game for them this weekend either.

Don't worry Inver, winter has to end sometime!

On Friday we managed a 5-1 victory in the Cornwall Senior Cup quarter final. That's the trophy that currently resides in our cabinet. We've been rewarded with a semi-final against our local rivals. As we were a year ago - I hope the result is also the same!

Our last three games have been in various cups so we're no further forward in our quest for the league title. We now lie fourth, seven points off the lead with seven games in hand over everybody around us. March and April are gonna be hectic, but I wouldn't change this situation for anything!☺

Hoorah...nice sunny day and a game played...U'17's were slow to get started and went down 2-0 before HT, lost another but with 10 minutes to go (leaving it too late) got one back....beaten 3-1. We have to play this team again and they are beatable, just need to come out the traps at a faster pace... :D  At least after weeks of no fixtures they remembered how to play. Glendale no game.

Well done to your boys Inver!

Yesterday we played Godolphin Atlantic. They're the side who ended our huge winning run a couple of weeks ago. On that occasion we seemed nervous ahead of a big FA Vase match a few days later. I'm reminded of Groundhog Day - our next game is in the FA Vase! Two of our key players were left out to avoid injury and everybody else played as if the slightest tackle would break their legs.The result? A 2-0 defeat. Oh well,it had to happen sometime. This was our first league defeat since August (also the first time we'd failed to score since August).

I'm slightly concerned about the Cornwall Senior Cup as well. As the holders we're the favourites to win our semi-final. But who's that I see in the other semi-final? It's Godolphin - nooooooo! *wakes up in a cold sweat*