Something I've Learned Today

ned

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learnt that a town in Thailand beat a village in Wales for the longest place name! Here it is don't ask me how to pronounce it!

Krung-thep-maha-nakorn-boworn-ratana-kosin-mahintar-ayudhya-amaha-dilok-pop-nopa-ratana-rajthani-burirom-udom-rajniwes-mahasat-arn-amorn-pimarn-avatar-satit-sakattiya-visanukam.

And translated it only means: Jewelled city of the god Indra.

In the UK, if you are ever mugged at an ATM and the mugger asks for your PIN, give it to them backwards. Apparently this gives them the money, but also sends an alert message to the police with the location of the cash point!

Oddly enough I've never tried it out to see how true it is. :

It is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear.

I don't know if this is true or not I haven't checked but I thought it would be nice if my fact for the day was a bookish one.

It is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear.

I don't know if this is true or not I haven't checked but I thought it would be nice if my fact for the day was a bookish one.

Heheh. Funnily enough my Bible is the King James version. I just checked and it is true. I wonder which maniac figured that out. And also if it's true about his age at the time of writing.

My fact: 420 is the lowest number that's divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.

I got that off cmb on Twitter. Blame him if it's wrong. I mean I know they all divide into it but I don't know if it's the lowest number.

In the UK, if you are ever mugged at an ATM and the mugger asks for your PIN, give it to them backwards. Apparently this gives them the money, but also sends an alert message to the police with the location of the cash point!

Thats pretty darn interesting and very good to know :D

Thats pretty darn interesting and very good to know ;)

In retrospect, I think this might just be a myth, as someone pointed out to me the other day, "What if their PIN is palindromic?" :

Yesterday, however, I did learn something that is actually true - the word "disaster" has an astrological meaning and comes from the notion of displeasing the Roman/Greek god of the stars, Astraeus/Astraeos or his children, the Astra Planeta: DIS ASTER. :)

I've learned today that this is false. I've also learned that if you check things out on Snopes, you end up spending ages there as you click on blue link after blue link, reading more and more interesting facts and fictions. It's an zwesome site - very entertaining!

I learned that it's apparently a bank holiday, I hope I won't further learn that the chippy is closed as this will not please me.

I learnt that jumping from heights accounted for less than 2% of reported suicides in the US in 2005 but over 51% of reported suicides in Hong Kong in 2006.

Cheery.

On a lighter note I also learnt this joke:

How do you titillate an ocelot?

You oscillate its tit a lot.

I am a fan of stupid jokes.

that ipods do not wash well :):roll:

You've made me laugh out loud ~ sorry! :D:irked:

If this has just happened, take the various 'bits' apart (battery etc) and place everything in a bowl of uncooked rice ~ it should absorb all the moisture.