Ben's Reading 2010

Ben

Ooh what have we here, a neglected and lonely looking post.. what was I using it for again?

Oh I remember now. Reading. That fantastic hobby that I never seem to get the time to do. Since my last post, all that time ago, I have started just one new book and got only about 50 pages or so into it. It is Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris and I know the series' is very popular on here so I am looking forward to getting into it..

.. when I get the time.

I hope you do enjoyed Dead Until Dark and get more time to read soon Ben!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound so much like me haha. It's a good thing I have a link to my own reading list as it never gets bumped with this lack of reading :roll:

Thanks Mona, haha. I had to search for it in the handy search thingy because like you mine never gets bumped with books read either.

I hope you do enjoyed Dead Until Dark and get more time to read soon Ben!

Ditto :D

Thanks you two, I'm sure I will soon; it's just juggling school work, my Gilmore Girls watching time, in addition to my reading and writing time. It's a hard life. At least I know Dead Until Dark is popular around here and should be a good read when I get going.

Edited by Ben

Just finished Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris and I have to say I am rather impressed. It was a fresh take on a vampire novel - I haven't read any other vampire novels other than Twilight and this was, without a doubt, much better. I loved the character of Sookie and I didn't get who the murder was until quite far into the novel, which is always the sign of a well written plot. I'll be definitely getting the next in the series whenever possible.

Hi Ben, was glad to read your review of Dead Until Dark. I myself finished this book on Sunday and was unsure if the author was building suspense about the killer, as having seen the TV shows I already knew who it was. Am glad as someone, who I presume hasn't see the shows, you found she did. I look forward to getting the box-set myself too and the surprises that will be in store in the following books.

Hi Ben, was glad to read your review of Dead Until Dark. I myself finished this book on Sunday and was unsure if the author was building suspense about the killer, as having seen the TV shows I already knew who it was. Am glad as someone, who I presume hasn't see the shows, you found she did. I look forward to getting the box-set myself too and the surprises that will be in store in the following books.

Thanks. Yeah I now really want to watch True Blood and that's purely a tribute to how much I enjoyed Dead Until Dark. I loved how she built the suspense to the killer and I don't know if it was just me being slow, but it wasn't as obvious as I first thought it was.

Hi Ben, I am glad you enjoyed 'Dead until Dark', I agree with Lexie, the series gets better as it continues

Thanks Paula I'm glad to hear it. (:

Ben, I'm impressed that you're impressed by the first Sookie book :(

I'm impressed that you're impressed about me being impressed by the first Sookie book. ;D

I'm impressed that Frankie's impressed that Ben's impressed. ;)

I'm impressed that you're impressed with Frankie being impressed with me being impressed.

.. at least I think I am.

I'm impressed by the cheekiness of the member(s) of the Mod Squad

I've given up. You're all mad, haha.

Edited by Ben

I'm just easily impressed! :lol::D

So pleased you liked Sookie Ben, it is one of my favourite series' from last year and like everyone says, they just keep getting better! ;)

Glad to hear it Charm, I'll certainly be investing in the rest of the series.

Edited by Ben

Just ordered the first eight not long ago. What a bargain, consider me happy with my new purchases - hopefully they'll be arriving in the next few days. Yay!

Okay, here it goes, my fifth book of the year (seems I have a bit of catching up to do) and it seems I couldn't have picked something more daunting. It's been recommended by many, though, so I think I'll enjoy it. Anyone else read it? What did you think? I'm planning on starting this tomorrow.

5) The Count of Monte Cristo. - Alexandre Dumas.

Synopsis.

'On what slender threads do life and fortune hang.'

Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantes is confined to the grim fortress of lf. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the island of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarnation. Dumas' epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real-life case of wrongful imprisonment, was a huge popular success when it as first serialized in the 1840s.

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favourite ever books, Ben. I agree that it's very daunting, but once you get into it it's very difficult to put down and the plot just flies along. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. :D

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favourite ever books, Ben. I agree that it's very daunting, but once you get into it it's very difficult to put down and the plot just flies along. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. :lol:

Woo-hoo Ben! :D A most excellent choice - Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all time favorites as well and I'm excited to hear what you think. You will be SO glad you read it after you've finished, believe you me :).

Well thanks you two. :friends0: That's definitely good to hear that you enjoyed it so much.

Edited by Ben

A good 100 pages into The Count of Monte Cristo and you're right Kylie, the plot does indeed fly along. I haven't had as much time as I would have liked to read it, but I'm quite content with a steady pace. I really like how it is written, the attention to detail is fantastic, while at the same time the reader's attention is not diverted away from the plot.

In other bookish news, my Charlaine Harris books have arrived, yay! The first eight in the series arrived not 5 minutes ago at my door and for a cracking price of £10.49 - including postage and packaging. :lol:

Edited by Ben

Ahh, there's nothing like receiving a boxset of books in the mail! :lol: I got the Sookie series that way as well and I have to keep resisting picking the next one up when I'm already reading one or two other books.

Glad you're enjoying the Count. I knew you would. :lol:

Aha, you know me too well it seems, because its fantastic! ;D And yes, I'll have to leave them in all their glory on my shelves for a little while yet.

Edited by Ben

• 3 months later...

Shamefully, I am posting here to confess that I haven't read a book since April, and I'm struggling to get into my current read as well - The Historian. It's not that it isn't a fantastic book, I'm a few chapters through and it's superbly written; I have the feeling if I can bring myself to pick it up more often, then I will enjoy it immensely, so that is what I'm going to have to do. I think my lack of reading recently is more because of time constraints - I've been too busy revising for my exams to pick up a novel at leisure, but now said exams are finished, I need to get myself back into my books.

Support guys? :D