Ben's Reading 2010

Ben

I'm just thinking would it be better to change it to 'Ben's Reading 2010.' Then it doesn't share the other similarity with the other one.

Your wish is my command. :roll:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snakehead has now been reviewed here on the BCF Reviews blog. :roll:

Also updated my TBR Pile, it now stands at a scary looking 97. Will have to try to lower purchases this year if I want to make a dent in that.

Edited by Ben

I'm on a mission to make a dent in my TBR pile too, so good luck with that! :roll:

Yes, not exactly the easiest of tasks when they are so huge.

Edited by Ben

Hmm, things are going slow but well with Someone Like You. I've read the first three short stories and so far I love all three so far. Fantastic just to dip into, it's great. A side of Roald Dahl's writing that I have never seen before.

I'm on a mission to make a dent in my TBR pile too, so good luck with that! :lol:

I need to do that too! I really need to make a TBR list, figure out what I have got to read.

Good luck with your exams Ben :roll:

I need to do that too! I really need to make a TBR list, figure out what I have got to read.

Good luck with your exams Ben :roll:

Thank you. And yes, organising your books to be read is great, gives you something to aim for and a sense of achievement ticking them off. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Edited by Ben

Okay just finished Crocodile Tears not ten minutes ago, and have to say I was very impressed. I might even go as far as to saying this was one of my favourite Alex Rider novel's yet!

A great novel which has you hanging off the edge of your seat!

Who else has read this series? Which one was your favourite? :roll:

I've read them all too. I think up until Crocodile Tears I would have said Scorpia was my favourite but like you I loved the latest one, and I think it might just oust Scorpia and become my new favourite.

I've read them all too. I think up until Crocodile Tears I would have said Scorpia was my favourite but like you I loved the latest one, and I think it might just oust Scorpia and become my new favourite.

Seems we're united on this series then. I too had Scorpia down as my favourite before Crocodile Tears came along. I think I'll leave them both down as tied for first at the moment, saves me making unnecessary decisions.

Edited by Ben

I think I am the same there as well. He writes about everything in good detail sometimes as well - like in Point Blanc when he describes the snowmobiles. So I think I'll read them again leisurely at some point. They're not a particularly taxing series, so maybe in the summer when I just want to relax and take a break.. ah that sounds bliss.

Edited by Ben

Well they're worth it as it is a great series. Wow, first five in a long weekend, you must have flown through. It makes sense though, the series is a really page-turner. Have you read his other series The Power of Five?

No, I haven't tried any of The Power of Five books. I think I had a look, but they're more in the horror style, if I remember rightly, and not my sort of thing. I did try the first of the Diamond Brothers series, but it was for pre-teens rather than YA, and I didn't bother with any more of them.

Yeah they're a bit darker than the Alex Rider series, I don't mind that sort of thing now and again though, so I did enjoy them. Actually that reminds me, I wonder when the last one is coming out. Ah the Diamond Brothers books never really appealed to me either, bit too young most likely.

So about these Roald Dahl short story collections, has anyone read any before?

I haven't read any yet but I have The Collected Short Stories of Roald Dahl on my TBR pile, which contains Someone Like You, so I'll look forward to your thoughts. I haven't read any of his works for adults yet. Are they dark stories?

Well I wouldn't recommend them to younger kids really. They're not graphic - well so far they're not anyway - but they have a sort of darker feel to them if you know what I mean? I'm not being very helpful. :roll:

Yeah I might as well, as it happens. I love him as well. Await my review on the short stories then, it shouldn't be too long in the pipeline, I've read 100 pages and around four or five of them already.

Who took the full-stop off my thread title? :roll:

Ooh that sounds great Kelly, I'll be sure to let you know how I get on with them then. Should keep me going for a little while at least, as I am not going to read them all at once. Going to read one collection, then a proper novel, then a collection, etc. Well, that's the plan, but with so many good books on the shelves, who knows?

Yep, that's the best plan there is. There is no point planning out exactly which books you're going to read and in what order or anything because like you say, your mojo can come and go, and tastes can change throughout the year. So yeah, random dipping in from me this year I should think.

Edited by Ben

I bring news of the first purchases of 2010. Congratulations to me on lasting seven days.. Oh wait, due to weather conditions I've barely been able to get into town for the past week or so. No congratulations deserved after all. :smile2: In any case, WH Smiths was beckoning and here is what I walked out with:

Breakneck. - Erica Spindler. (Kelly's recommendation..)

The Historian. - Elizabeth

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. - Steig Larsson.

Kiss Of Evil. - Richard Montanari. (Damn, just found out this is the second in a series, why do they never make these things clear) :)

Good choices huh? Them decisions were not heavily influence by the forum.. honest. :)

As for actually reading anything today, that hasn't happened, been too busy with revision. Reading activity counts as buying though, so I'm letting myself off.