Ben's Reading 2010

Ben

2010 Reading Review

Okay, so it's been a strange year of reading for me; in some ways it's been good - I found a new favourite novel in The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - but in other ways it's been terrible - I only managed to read a pretty poor total of 25 books, in comparison to the 48 of last year. In the early part of the year I found myself revising for AS exams, so that meant that I couldn't get through many books; in the end I ended up with three that month. From then on I had a severe lack of reading mojo; even when my exams had finished I found myself struggling to get myself stuck into novels, only reading one book in February & March: Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris. It was disappointing but in April things improved; I managed some good books when I went away to Tenerife in Spain for a week - including the first book in Stieg Larsson's popular Millennium Trilogy - and that brought my total for the year to 9. However, I don't think that holiday regained my mojo, or at least if it did, I lost it again for the next three months; only reading one book. In August I went on holiday to Greece, and as usual I managed to read a fair few books; another 5, bringing my total to a mere 15. On holiday I read The Picture of Dorian Gray and it rapidly became my favourite book of all time. Wonderfully well written, Wilde manages to create fantastic characters, and every word speaks out to the author. In September I went book to school after summer, and I was caught up in the rush of starting Year 13, only managing to read The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown throughout September. In October & November my reading was steady; three books per month, including my first Ben Elton novel The First Casualty, which was a brilliant read. As December came around I had only read a total of 22 books, which was extremely disappointing, and I obviously started thinking of how I'd improve on it in 2011. However, there was a month left and I settled in to read American Gods, my first Neil Gaiman book. It was wonderful, one of my best reads of the year. At first I didn't think the subject of God's an mythology would interest me, but it was done in such a fantastic way; I will be reading more of Gaiman's novels. Through the rest of December I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time as a re-read for my English exam in January, and I concluded my reading for the year with the final novel in the Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix; Lord Sunday. Overall it was a pretty terrible year of reading, and I hope to improve on it in 2011, with the addition of my Amazon Kindle which I received for Christmas; a gift guaranteed to get my reading mojo back in form.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

]Overall it was a pretty terrible year of reading, and I hope to improve on it in 2011, with the addition of my Amazon Kindle which I received for Christmas; a gift guaranteed to get my reading mojo back in form.

Not sure why, but I do think reading on a Kindle improves speed. Good luck for 2011, Ben!

Not sure why, but I do think reading on a Kindle improves speed. Good luck for 2011, Ben!

I just think it'll improve my books read because I'll be able to take my Kindle practically anywhere. Good luck to you too!