Ben's Reading 2010

Ben

Haha I'm trying Mac my good friend, this is the best reading spell I've had in a long time, due to loosing the mojo over the past many months. On another note I've finished Frankenstein, and it was brilliant; I loved every last page.

Edited by Ben

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holiday reading.

Finished:

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. - Steig Larsson.

Frankenstein. - Mary Shelly.

The Picture of Dorian Gray. - Oscar Wilde.

Good Omens. - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman.

Heroes Of the Valley. - Jonathan Stroud.

Reviews coming soon..

Couldn't quite finish..

Catch 22. - Joseph Heller.

Didn't manage to start..

Dracula. - Bram Stoker.

Do you plan on finishing Catch-22 or couldn't you get into it? I can't believe you got through so many books! That's a mammoth effort Ben. biggrin.gif

Oh by no means was it because I didn't like it - admittedly I struggled at first to get into it, but I'm sure if I persevered then I would enjoy it very much. I plan on continuing with it as my current read.. and thanks. :friends0:

Edited by Ben

• 2 weeks later...

In London yesterday I managed to buy Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. It looks really good..

On the train back I started reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, so that's my current read.

Update: I read well into the early hours this morning for the first time in a long time. I didn't really get started on the book whilst I was on the train, so settled down at about half past ten and just didn't stop reading for ages. I'm about two hundred+ pages in, and I'm about to settle down with it again. It's fantastic.

Edited by Ben

Starting: Crime and Punishment. - Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

This looks like an intriguing read. Synopsis as follows..

'Crime? What crime? ... My killing a loathsome,

harmful louse, a filthy moneylender

woman ... and you call that a crime?

Roskolnikov, a destitute and desperate former student, wanders through the slums of St Petersburg and commits a random murder without remorse or regret. He imagines himself to be a great man, a Napoleon: acting for a higher purpose beyond conventional moral law. But as he embarks on a dangerous game of cat and mouse with a suspicious police investigator, Raskolnikov is pursued by the growing voice of his conscience and finds the noose of his own guilt tightening around his neck. Only Sonya, a downtrodden prostitute, can offer him the chance of redemption.

Anyone read this before, if so what did you think?

Edited by Ben

Ben. Who, in the name of Zeus, is that total hottie in your avatar???wub.gif

Shouldn't you be asking that in my other thread not my reading one, Mr Off-topic. (;

I jest..

That is one Alexis Bledel, and as many many members on here can tell you, she plays Rory Gilmore in the TV series Gilmore Girls.

Edited by Ben

Shouldn't you be asking that in my other thread not my reading one, Mr Off-topic.

OoooooooooooooH! Hark at her! dramaqueen.gif

Only joking, fella. I thought she might have been your favourite author...? On a serious note, I'm going to be picking up The Lost Symbol because you said it was his best one. You did. So I'm holding you entirely and solely responsible.

mocking.gif Stay well, my friend. Stay well.

P.S. I don't have a telly, dude, so struggle to keep up with the 'in' shows. I'm such a sad old bu**er. huh.gif

Edited by Mac

OoooooooooooooH! Hark at her! dramaqueen.gif

Only joking, fella. I thought she might have been your favourite author...? On a serious note, I'm going to be picking up The Lost Symbol because you said it was his best one. You did. So I'm holding you entirely and solely responsible.

mocking.gif Stay well, my friend. Stay well.

P.S. I don't have a telly, dude, so struggle to keep up with the 'in' shows. I'm such a sad old bu**er. huh.gif

Haha, good point. Oh no! I'm terrified you won't enjoy it now. Admittedly it's his familiar style, you may just think to yourself that you've heard it all before. It made me think though, and it asks some very interesting questions of the reader, in my opinion. Well, let me know how you get on, anyway.

Ah, nonsense, I don't watch a lot of telly either, but I thought you may have heard people discussing the show, or seen her before somewhere. I'm not sure.. anyway, makes no difference to me. (:

Take care Mac.

Edited by Ben

Shouldn't you be asking that in my other thread not my reading one, Mr Off-topic. (; I jest..

That is one Alexis Bledel, and as many many members on here can tell you, she plays Rory Gilmore in the TV series Gilmore Girls.

She's in sin city too (even I wouldn't say no to her in that.....blush.gif)

She's in sin city too (even I wouldn't say no to her in that.....blush.gif)

Oh wow, so she is.. and I really like that film as well. I'm actually shocked I didn't notice.

Edited by Ben

I've read Crime and Punishment. I found it to be a pretty challenging and somewhat depressing book, but it was a really rewarding read, I think. I'll look forward to your thoughts.

Interesting, well I've hardly got started what with one thing and another today, but I'll really get stuck into it tomorrow.

Edited by Ben

• 1 month later...

Wow, not so many posts in this one for a while. I slotted Crime and Punishment aside in the end, it wasn't by any fault of the book itself, I was just totally struggling to get into anything at all, so I thought it best to put it aside for the time being.

Well, I do have some good news, I started and finished a book in the last twenty-four hours, due to some surge of reading mojo that took me by surprise entirely. I mean, I haven't well at all this year, but I've had all sorts of things on my mind so that's probably why. In any case, I read The First Casualty by Ben Elton and it was simply wonderful. I enjoyed some of the dark humour, and it was still a novel filled with emotion, frustration and intrigue. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

I have no idea what to read next; to be entirely honest I feel slightly lost gazing at my shelves, it all seems so daunting because I haven't read much this year. I guess I'll let my eyes wonder over them and find something themselves. I have some great books so I doubt I'll go far wrong.

Hope everyone's reading is going well. :friends0:

Edited by Ben

Bit of extra news as well on the reading news.. or even listening news. I downloaded a handy application for my iPod Touch just the other day, AudioBooks, and I get all sorts of classic novels for the mere price of £1.29 - or something along those lines, I can't quite remember what I paid for it. Anyway, audio books have always interested me but I've never wanted to pay the prices they charge for them, if it means I don't get the feel of the paper. However, I'm now settling down to listen to The Count of Monte Cristo on a night-time, and although it will end up being a long, long listen, I thought it best just to have on a night when I'm laying peacefully, or if I'm on a bus. Will let you know how I get on, but it sounds great so far.

Edited by Ben

Hi Ben :)

With all your studying I'm surprised you're finding the time to read so much, I'm glad to see you enjoyed Ben Eltons The First Casualty, I've had it sitting on my shelf for quite a while might have to read it very soon now I think.

I've been thinking of trying out audio books especially for listening to on my walk to and from work or in the evenings when I'm too tired to read myself, I have been put off by price but more so in case I don't like the person reading to me! I will give it a go one day though.

Hi Ben :)

With all your studying I'm surprised you're finding the time to read so much, I'm glad to see you enjoyed Ben Eltons The First Casualty, I've had it sitting on my shelf for quite a while might have to read it very soon now I think.

I've been thinking of trying out audio books especially for listening to on my walk to and from work or in the evenings when I'm too tired to read myself, I have been put off by price but more so in case I don't like the person reading to me! I will give it a go one day though.

Hey, yeah I'm not really getting through as many novels as I'd want this year, but maybe it'll pick up now I've flown my way through Elton's fantastic novel. I would encourage you to pick it up soon; I had it in hardback so it looked daunting after not managing to tackle anything successfully in a long time, but I soon forgot my worries with it's explosive pace. As for the the audio books, it's off-putting when looking at the prices, but there's some good free ones you can find around with a bit of good googling; even if it's just to set you in the mood.

Anyway, next read is Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I know it's not much of a challenge, but heard good things from the series, and if I get through it quickly I have Eldest waiting on my shelf. Anyone read the series, any good?

Finished Eragon last night and I have to say I was impressed. I've tried to read it once before, struggled with the start and abandoned it. But this time I persevered, and enjoyed it immensely in the end. Well worth a read, even though it takes some getting in to. Apparently, they only get better as the books in the series go on, so I imagine I'll settle down with Eldest tonight or tomorrow.

Finished Eragon last night and I have to say I was impressed. I've tried to read it once before, struggled with the start and abandoned it. But this time I persevered, and enjoyed it immensely in the end. Well worth a read, even though it takes some getting in to. Apparently, they only get better as the books in the series go on, so I imagine I'll settle down with Eldest tonight or tomorrow.

Hi Ben 3.gifGlad you enjoyed 'Eragon', I read it a few years ago (still to read the rest of the series), looking forward to your reviews, happy reading :)

• 1 month later...

Oooh look, a reading thread - what's that again? I'm sad that I've only managed a tragic 22 books this year so far; I suppose I could excuse myself and say that it has been a busy school year, but once again I should have found more time to read. This year has been one of my worst for a while to be honest. I've enjoyed one of my favourite reads ever, though, with Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, so that is some good news at least. Ah well, for the minute I'm settling into American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and although I'm only a tiny bit through it, I think it's one that I'm going to enjoy immensely. Other than that it's back to reading textbooks and reading over my own scrawls; which should have some notes in there somewhere.

Someone mentioned American Gods to me, suggesting that I'd enjoy it. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it, Ben.

Indeed, I'm around 200 pages in and it's starting to gather pace well now. The way which Gaiman writes is just wonderful though, I find the hours passing by without worry or thought. I'll no doubt have a shot at giving it a proper review when I've finished, but even this early on I'd recommend it wholeheartedly my friend.