Ben's Reading 2010

Ben

I'm sad that I've only managed a tragic 22 books this year so far; I suppose I could excuse myself and say that it has been a busy school year, but once again I should have found more time to read.

I think that's something we could all do, but I wouldn't have thought 22 books was tragic - that's almost a book a fortnight, and if you've got other things to do (like work!) it's a goodly rate, especially if you are tackling big stuff like Crime and Punishment. I've picked up my reading over the past year or so, but only because I've managed to get some mega-bursts in: last year for instance I read 30% of my year's books in the last two weeks of the year! Equally, summer holidays see me pick up, and are usually the time I have to focus on 'big' stuff, as I find it hard to sustain rhythm during term time, when I can easily slip back to reading a book a month (that's how long it took me to read Pickwick Papers this autumn).

Compared to a lot of people here, I'm probably classified as not reading much (I reckon 40 books in a year is good going), but at the school where I teach, that's regarded as being a total bookworm!

Edited by willoyd

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's something we could all do, but I wouldn't have thought 22 books was tragic - that's almost a book a fortnight, and if you've got other things to do (like work!) it's a goodly rate, especially if you are tackling big stuff like Crime and Punishment. I've picked up my reading over the past year or so, but only because I've managed to get some mega-bursts in: last year for instance I read 30% of my year's books in the last two weeks of the year! Equally, summer holidays see me pick up, and are usually the time I have to focus on 'big' stuff, as I find it hard to sustain rhythm during term time, when I can easily slip back to reading a book a month (that's how long it took me to read Pickwick Papers this autumn).

Compared to a lot of people here, I'm probably classified as not reading much (I reckon 40 books in a year is good going), but at the school where I teach, that's regarded as being a total bookworm!

I think your right my friend; when it comes down to it, I think it's just personal opinion on what a person feels they can achieve during a year's reading. Then if they don't reach that, they are disappointed; such as I am this year. I think it's because I reached a pretty impressive 48 last year; I expected to read a similar amount, but the added pressure from school-work obviously brought my total down. I also seem to read more during the holidays, especially during the summer holidays because that's when the school year is all wrapped up and I have chance to settle down. As for reading at my school, I imagine most of the kids there could count the amount of books they've read this year on one hand, and still have some fingers spare. But of course the amount of books some people get through on here, I can never fail to admire.

Edited by Ben

Book number twenty-three; tragically done and dusted. I'm sure you've all experienced the feeling of loss when you've just finished a fantastic novel; you sit sadly for a few minutes knowing that you're done. I just experienced that feeling as I came to the end of American Gods not ten minutes ago. It's taken me about five or six days to read it, but it's been well worth it. This is the first book of Neil Gaiman's that I have read - aside from Good Omens which he coauthored with Terry Pratchett - but I think I might have to invest in a few more of his; the writing was wonderfully captivating and had me turning the pages in earnest, eager to find out what was going to happen next. Well, I will review this one as soon as time allows, but for the minute let's just say I recommend it wholeheartedly.

5/5.

Now comes the near-impossible task of choosing what to read next. Fortunately, this time the choice is a little more simple, as I'm already partly way through Derren Brown's new book, Confessions of a Conjuror. It'd be a shame not to finish it, as I have enjoyed it thus far.

Edited by Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, pushed aside my reading for the time being, due to revision; fortunately though, there are two books that I have to read for the English exam: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time by Mark Haddon and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The first of these two books I've started and finished over the last two days, and I have to say I've enjoyed it quite a bit; even if it was for study. I feel more confident with the fact that I've refreshed myself with the novel and it's definitely a worthwhile, light read.

4/5.

Next up, The Great Gatsby, a book I loved the first time I read it. Despite this, it does take a lot of analyzing, and no doubt I'll enjoy it less if I'm constantly looking for themes, quotes, etc. Ah well, we'll see how it goes when I settle down with it tonight or tomorrow.

Edited by Ben

Well as some of you will know, I was lucky to receive an Amazon Kindle for Christmas; a gift I feel will suit me down to the ground. Now, I adore books - the feel of flicking over the pages is second to none in my mind; so at first I was skeptical about the idea of e-readers. However, I had to confess the benefits are extraordinary; the space saved will be brilliant until I'm older and richer and can afford a library in my own place; the idea that I can have such easy access to thousands of titles is enough to make one very excited. Now even before I received it I was downloading books, at first browsing all the free classics that I've actually always wanted to get round to reading; now at last I might. However, today I purchased Lord Sunday from the Kindle Store for just a mere £3.99. The last in The Keys to the Kingdom series, I've been after this for a while.

I've been reading all afternoon and I've stuck straight into it with eagerness. I find I can read for hours on the Kindle just like I would a normal book, and it's fantastic. As for the book I'm really enjoying it so far and I'm looking forward to seeing how the series wraps up; hopefully I won't be too disappointed.

Happy reading and Happy new kindle Ben :)

Thanks Paula, I'm glad to see you've managed a good total this year; hopefully 2011 will be just as good, eh.

Thanks Paula, I'm glad to see you've managed a good total this year; hopefully 2011 will be just as good, eh.

I hope so Ben, thanks, hope your reading year in 2011 is great too :)

I hope so Ben, thanks, hope your reading year in 2011 is great too :)

If it's better than this year I'll be happy with that. I'm looking forward to next summer already, haha.

I'm a complete convert to digital books too, Ben. I got an iPad a few months ago, which is great for reading, but I'm worried about taking it out and about with me as it's a bit big and it was expensive, but luckily Father Christmas brought be a Kindle yesterday! I've been reading The Dark Is Rising on it all afternoon to see how I get on with it, and I like it too. I'm waiting for a case for it so that I'll be able to take it out with me as my travelling companion :giggle2:

Good luck with your reading in the coming year :smile2:

Hey Chesil, they really are great aren't they? I've been reading on mine for the best part of the day and in all honesty it's hardly passed my thoughts that I'm reading a book digitally and not flicking through actual pages. As for the cases did you get one that Amazon sell to go with them? I got the red one and I love it; protective but looks good as well. I sort of felt that when it was in its case and all fasted up, it looked somewhat like a diary, haha. I think it's definitely going to be a permanent edition to the items I don't leave the house without.

Best of luck for your 2011 reading too, I'm hoping mine is somewhat better than this year.

Edited by Ben

Awesome, that sounds great. I guess they're pretty necessary really, without mine I'd sure end up scratching mine seen as though I'll be taking it with me on travel quite a lot. I am really quite happy with how well I've settled into using mine though; seems like I got a great gift this Christmas.

Edited by Ben

Finished Lord Sunday by Garth Nix last night - or rather about 2:00am this morning. It has been a while since I've read so much in one go like I did yesterday, and I think possibly my Amazon Kindle is re-lighting my reading mojo. I find it quite easy to sit and let the hours float on by, not thinking that I'm actually reading digitally. I read all of Lord Sunday in one day and it reminds me of when I used to sit for hours on end enjoying a book until it was finished. Anyway, about the novel. I personally thought that Lord Sunday wrapped up The Keys to the Kingdom series really well; I was pleasantly surprised with the conclusion, which I assumed would be a let-down. It wasn't; instead the book concluded a series full of emotion and action; a series that really sweeps up the reader in its clutches and doesn't let you go until you've followed Arthur - the main protagonist - right through to his final battle. I'd recommend the series to anyone that enjoys a good fantasy novel or seven to help the time fly by.

4/5.

Hehe, it's amazing. Thanks, and the same to you of course.

I got one too Ben. Didn't have time to look at it until yesterday, registered it and downloaded 9 free books. I need to get a case too. Heard the Amazon ones are cheaper on ebay.

Hi Ben, reading about your enthusiasm and other peoples comments and praise for the kindle have made me seriously consider buying one. I'd never considered one before but now I'm so close to buying one with money I received for christmas!

I'm glad you're enjoying yours and I hope it helps your reading mojo to thrive. :)

I got one too Ben. Didn't have time to look at it until yesterday, registered it and downloaded 9 free books. I need to get a case too. Heard the Amazon ones are cheaper on ebay.

Yeah the cases from Amazon are quite expensive to be honest, I'm sure if you had a quick look around you could find some better ones on Ebay, definitely. Admittedly I didn't purchase my case from there - I got it from Amazon myself - but if I'd have known in advance then I would have cautioned my mum against buying from there because of the expense. Anyway, I do hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am mine.

Hi Ben, reading about your enthusiasm and other peoples comments and praise for the kindle have made me seriously consider buying one. I'd never considered one before but now I'm so close to buying one with money I received for christmas!

I'm glad you're enjoying yours and I hope it helps your reading mojo to thrive. :)

Being originally a skeptic at first with e-readers, I have now seen that the advantages definitely out-weigh the disadvantages. If you want something that you can easily carry around with you that can access thousands of books instantly, saving you loads of space, this is certainly something you'd love. Obviously being on here you'll be an avid reading already, but I really feel this will help people read more than usual; like it certainly has for me. Thanks, and please let me know if you do decide to get one or not.

Edited by Ben

Thanks Ben, I will definately let you know my decision when I make it, I'm trying not to impulse buy! :)

Haha something it seems we all struggle with, so best of luck with that one. :friends0:

You are selling me on the kindle too Ben :)7.gif

They should pay me for advertising, haha. I'm glad it sounds appealing to you Paula; I think a lot of people are surprised at how handy they are.

Edited by Ben

Sounds like you were a bit like me on the Kindle - a bit skeptical to start with, and now somewhat committed! I find mine an absolute godsend with commuting and so on - it was brilliant when we went to Venice a few weeks ago for a weekend break, and all I needed to take was the Kindle - no guide book, no dictionary, no books. Made travelling with hand luggage a whole lot easier.

Had a bit of a panic last week, when it started freezing and needing rebooting all the time. Think I've worked out the problem though - I had an unlit Amazon cover, which apparently has been causing quite a few people problems. As soon as I took it off, it started working again fine, so have now ordered a Tuff-Luv from Amazon, and am investigating rumoured refunds from Amazon.

Hope you continue to have trouble free enjoyment.

(BTW - reading your post on Abby's thread - yes, a good 200+ on the TBR pile too. Ouch!

Yeah at first I was worried I wouldn't like them, because I'm obviously accustomed to the feel of an actual novel; I remember scoffing contemptuously a few months back at a friend who was considering getting an e-reader. I really laid into him suggesting that they could never generate the feel of actually reading a book, but I owe him an apology for sure. They've done a great job in making them light and easy to use; I barely notice I'm reading digitally, even if I use it for hours on end. You're so right about commuting as well, I'm sure I'll be using it on holidays and trips away; no doubt about it.

Had a bit of a panic last week, when it started freezing and needing rebooting all the time. Think I've worked out the problem though - I had an unlit Amazon cover, which apparently has been causing quite a few people problems. As soon as I took it off, it started working again fine, so have now ordered a Tuff-Luv from Amazon, and am investigating rumoured refunds from Amazon.

Hope you continue to have trouble free enjoyment.

That sounds quite bad. At present - touch wood - I haven't had any problems with mine, and I've been using those covers that Amazon advertised with the sale of the Kindle. I'm not sure which one you are referring too, but mine is unlit also, so it sounds like that's the one you're talking about. Well, anyway, I hope you manage to get a refund and I'm glad like me you're loving you're Kindle.

In Other News

I just spent the last three hours cataloging my books and seeing which ones I have and haven't read, in order to form myself a to-be-read list. I'm quite happy I already had a list ready to work on that I made about 6 months ago, otherwise the whole process would have been much more laborious. Frighteningly enough, my finish total - consisting of both digital and non-digital books - amounts to 214. Yeah, looks like I've got some work to do.

Wishlist

More importantly I've decided to make a wishlist. It'll start off entirely blank, and then throughout the year I'll listen to the thoughts of you guys, and add anything that sounds good. So if anyone finds anything they think I might find a good read, feel free to drop me a message or leave a comment.

Edited by Ben