Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

Hm, aren't you the one with whom I spoke to about the horrors of having to pee in an airplane?? :lol: I tell you, we won't manage without going, you with your 15 hours, me with my 29 hours. Oh boy! I feel all foolish, I've never been to the toilet in an airplane and I don't know how they work. Do you suppose people will think I'm a real redneck hillbilly if I ask one of the flight attendants how it works? I also hate that I will have to switch planes at least once, how the hell do I know where to go find that second plane??? I'm really dreading it all already.

LoTR will definitely weigh me down :( But I'm taking a backpack as a hand luggage, I don't care what they say about that, I took one to Denmark and nobody complained. I will have to fit my laptop in it and all the necessary travel documents and maybe a couple of undies and a few pieces of clothing in case my bags get lost. The backpack will fortunately fit a bigger book. I have a paperback version of LotR but it's BF's copy and I don't dare take it with me :blush:

Try not to worry about the toilet. It's like a fun adventure. :) I can't remember exactly what they're like, but you'll work it out pretty easily. The only thing is that they're tiny so it's awkward to move around (I can't imagine how people manage to join the mile high club in there blush.gif).

As for finding your next plane, again, it is easier than you might think. Airports are pretty well sign-posted, but if you have trouble, just ask anyone you see for help. There is always staff and information desks to go to. You're going to be a travelling pro by the time you get back home!

I've seen much bigger bags than backpacks going on planes. But like Pickle said, be careful of the weight. It may differ in Finland, but over here the limit is 7 kilos I think.

For some reason I always find it a bit difficult to read on a plane. I would try to take one light book along just in case you can't get into LotR.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah peeing on a plane is a bit of a scare for me too, I have used them before but I hate them, they are so small and awkward but no way can I survive 10 hours without going. I also have a stopover before another 5 hours which I haven't had since I was a kid and then my mum took care of the whole thing. Luckily I am going with a friend so I won't be alone in my panic.

I would check restrictions on hand luggage as they can be funny about it but thats usually for small european flights, I am trying to decide whether to buy nice new bag for the trip..any excuse for me. I just have to hope they show some good films as well. if I get the book thing wrong.

Pickle, you're definitely lucky for having a a friend with you, so you can both panic together :D Okay I'll check the restrictions. I guess that's wiser than leaving it to pure luck and then be unpleasantly surprised. And pissed off.

When I did an intern at a library, I went to check out this book and my new "collegue" got all big eyed :eek: and asked if I was serious :lol:

Did love the book and baught some music right away! Great music :D

Haha :D It's not like it's the Black Bible or something like that!! I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did. There were definitely some unforgettable stuff going on. I, too, listened to their albums on Spotify after reading the book and I actually liked them.

Try not to worry about the toilet. It's like a fun adventure. :) I can't remember exactly what they're like, but you'll work it out pretty easily. The only thing is that they're tiny so it's awkward to move around (I can't imagine how people manage to join the mile high club in there :blush:).

You're right, I should try to just relax. I'm a bit of a worrier sometimes :blush: I tend to worry a lot beforehand but things usually go more smoothly than I would've figured, so I always feel stupid for being so worried in advance.

I guess the mile high club is for skinny people only. Or Seamese twins. Ew, that was a naughty and totally tasteless joke. Shame on me!

As for finding your next plane, again, it is easier than you might think. Airports are pretty well sign-posted, but if you have trouble, just ask anyone you see for help. There is always staff and information desks to go to. You're going to be a travelling pro by the time you get back home!

Alright, look out for signs and don't hesitate to ask people who seem like they're airport staff or just otherwise knowledgeable. Check! Also, I was thinking I might get lucky and befriend someone on the plane who's also going to Sydney and I'll just follow them :giggle:

I've seen much bigger bags than backpacks going on planes. But like Pickle said, be careful of the weight. It may differ in Finland, but over here the limit is 7 kilos I think.

For some reason I always find it a bit difficult to read on a plane. I would try to take one light book along just in case you can't get into LotR.

I hope you mean 7 kilos for the hand luggage and not the suitcase? Just checking.

I'm definitely taking something else with me and not just LotR. Maybe Heart of Darkness, and a thriller. Something in English, though, so someone in Australia can have it and read it.

Edited by frankie

I hope you mean 7 kilos for the hand luggage and not the suitcase? Just checking.

I'm definitely taking something else with me and not just LotR. Maybe Heart of Darkness, and a thriller. Something in English, though, so someone in Australia can have it and read it.

Yep, 7 kilos for hand luggage and I think 20 kilos for your suitcase.

Yep, 7 kilos for hand luggage and I think 20 kilos for your suitcase.

Phew. Although I was pretty sure that there's no way the 7 kilos can be for the suitcase.

Where are you changing planes? If it's Singapore, you don't have to worry. I've done that one, and it's a piece of cake.

I haven't actually bought the tickets yet, I'm doing it today when the financial business has been settled ;)

79. Dexter by Design by Jeff Lindsay

I finally finished this one last night. It's the fourth novel in the series and a huge improvement from the third novel that was an utter disappointment. I enjoyed the novel a great deal in the beginning, but towards the end my mojo left me. To tell you the truth, that's when my travelling plans fell through UK wise. Right after that I managed to get me hooked with my Australia connections and that was another major death of the mojo :blush: Dexter was in no way responsible for axing my mojo, no matter how murderous he usually is.

The 'revelation' at the very end was no revelation to me, I figured out that was going to happen somewhere along the way and I was expecting it.

Rating: 3/5

Regarding the revelation: I started reading Dexter is Delicious right after I finished Dexter by Design, and I tell you, I loved the first chapter!!! A whole new side to Dexter... I'm so happy with the way things have turned out! And I can't wait if it's actually for real and what is in store for us readers in the future.

Regarding the revelation: I started reading Dexter is Delicious right after I finished Dexter by Design, and I tell you, I loved the first chapter!!! A whole new side to Dexter... I'm so happy with the way things have turned out! And I can't wait if it's actually for real and what is in store for us readers in the future.

:exc: Oh I'm so excited now! Can't wait to get my hands on this, I really must remember and get my order in today ;)

I'm so pleased things have worked out for you, I would love to go to Australia!! I bet you can't wait, I'm sure you'll be grand getting there and I hope you have a wonderful time while you're there! Things have definitely done a turnaround for you :hug:

:exc: Oh I'm so excited now! Can't wait to get my hands on this, I really must remember and get my order in today ;)

I'm so pleased things have worked out for you, I would love to go to Australia!! I bet you can't wait, I'm sure you'll be grand getting there and I hope you have a wonderful time while you're there! Things have definitely done a turnaround for you :hug:

Oh crap, I forgot you haven't read the latest one yet, I hope I didn't spoil anything for you with my comments about the first chapter! :blush: I'm really looking forward to reading this one, the beginning was such an unusual one for a Dexter novel. Do order the book asap! Can't wait to hear what you think of it :smile2:

I'm really pleased myself, everything has turned out so well and I feel really good about the trip. I tell you, there's not an hour in the day when I don't think about Australia and all the new stuff I'll be experiencing. And actually getting to meet Kylie! We've been talking about meeting each other some day, somewhere in the future, but I can't believe that it's actually happening so soon! I'm ecstatic. :smile2: I feel really lucky and blessed and I'm really humled by it all, I know not everyone gets to do things like this.

I'm really pleased myself, everything has turned out so well and I feel really good about the trip. I tell you, there's not an hour in the day when I don't think about Australia and all the new stuff I'll be experiencing. And actually getting to meet Kylie! We've been talking about meeting each other some day, somewhere in the future, but I can't believe that it's actually happening so soon! I'm ecstatic. :smile2: I feel really lucky and blessed and I'm really humled by it all, I know not everyone gets to do things like this.

You're such a lovely person Frankie. friends0.gif Have I mentioned how excited I am that you're coming over?

I know what you mean about that first chapter :) I really loved it and that side of Dexter, can't help but love him! Hope you're enjoying the rest of the book as well.

Exciting news about your trip to Australia, I'm sure you'll be surprised at how smoothly the trip goes. (I don't like using the toilet on the plane but one time I had no choice and had to brave it, the good news is......... I survived the experience!)

Although I think I am :giggle:

no.gif Nope, sorry. I'm more excited. :D

(Sorry, I know you're probably waiting for loads of PMs, but I have been busy putting my new BBQ together so I can feed you while you're here. :) )

I know what you mean about that first chapter :) I really loved it and that side of Dexter, can't help but love him! Hope you're enjoying the rest of the book as well.

Exciting news about your trip to Australia, I'm sure you'll be surprised at how smoothly the trip goes. (I don't like using the toilet on the plane but one time I had no choice and had to brave it, the good news is......... I survived the experience!)

I was so in love with the first chapter that yesterday when I picked the book up I wanted to read the first chapter all over again and read from the beginning :D I hadn't gotten very far in the novel the last time so it didn't take me much time to catch up where I was left with it.

I do hope it goes smoothly, and I'm quite certain that it can't be as bad as I'm imagining it. I always suspect the worst and get very nervous in advance and then things always turn out to go more smoothly than I'd thought :)

no.gif Nope, sorry. I'm more excited. :D

(Sorry, I know you're probably waiting for loads of PMs, but I have been busy putting my new BBQ together so I can feed you while you're here. :) )

Well, shall we call it a tie?

Haha, I understand, setting up the BBQ is quite important. You might want to try it out next weekend to see if it works properly ;)

Kylie, I was just playing with my scales, exploring how many books weigh this and that and I decided that we should definitely take care that I will NOT buy any hardbacks, alright? Paperbacks only.

Frankie, I love the Dexter books too. I've got the fifth one to read, ready on Mount TBR. The first four are brilliant! I think I've put them all on my Mac Reads thread...

...yep, they're there! mocking.gif

Well, shall we call it a tie?

Haha, I understand, setting up the BBQ is quite important. You might want to try it out next weekend to see if it works properly ;)

Kylie, I was just playing with my scales, exploring how many books weigh this and that and I decided that we should definitely take care that I will NOT buy any hardbacks, alright? Paperbacks only.

OK, it's a tie!

Yep, I'm already planning a BBQ for next weekend. I was reading through the instructions last night so I'm pretty confident in using it. It's still sitting in my house at the moment because I can't bare the though of leaving it to the elements outside! I'll have to go and get a cover for it this weekend.

Haha! I've been thinking about getting out my scales as well. :) I agree that you should avoid hardbacks if you can. Happily, the good people at the Canberra book fair actually have separate sections for hardbacks, so you can do what I do and just skip over those sections. I also wanted to mention that they have loads of sections on various areas of academia, so you might be able to find something to help with your studies.

Rather than carrying them home in your luggage, it might work out cheaper to post them to yourself, if you really do buy that many books. I have no idea, but it might be worth investigating.

Frankie, I love the Dexter books too. I've got the fifth one to read, ready on Mount TBR. The first four are brilliant! I think I've put them all on my Mac Reads thread...

...yep, they're there! mocking.gif

Did you really like the third novel as well? I thought it was way out there, I didn't much enjoy it. On the fourth novel Lindsay was back to his good old self though and the novel was great! When do you think you'll be reading the fifth novel? I hope you enjoy it :)

Mac, I gotta ask you. Is there perhaps a bit of drag queen in you? You were a Deaverette and Dexterette long before you volunteered yourself as the toga dressed mascot in the new Pervy Coffee House of peace :lol: Aww Mac, how do you put up with us?? :D

Yep, I'm already planning a BBQ for next weekend. I was reading through the instructions last night so I'm pretty confident in using it. It's still sitting in my house at the moment because I can't bare the though of leaving it to the elements outside! I'll have to go and get a cover for it this weekend.

Haha! I've been thinking about getting out my scales as well. :) I agree that you should avoid hardbacks if you can. Happily, the good people at the Canberra book fair actually have separate sections for hardbacks, so you can do what I do and just skip over those sections. I also wanted to mention that they have loads of sections on various areas of academia, so you might be able to find something to help with your studies.

You should definitely get a good cover for it before you take it out, yes :) The Canberra bookfair seems to be brilliantly organised and they've thought of everything, I'm a happy bunny :smile2: I figured they might have some excellent non-fiction stuff as well, although for some reason I didn't go as far as thinking about my thesis :giggle:

Rather than carrying them home in your luggage, it might work out cheaper to post them to yourself, if you really do buy that many books. I have no idea, but it might be worth investigating.

BF did a little investigating for me yesterday, an extra kilo in the suitcase costs 13 euros. If I have 5 extra kilos, that's 65 euros. Or pounds, I don't know :D I don't know how much the kilos cost in the post office but that'll be easy to look into.

What bothers me more is that it is really silly of me to start paying extra money for either extra kilos in suitcase or sending book in the mail, because ultimately, I would probably get all those books on play.com and at a cheap price. So is it really worth paying the extra. On the other hand, going book fair shopping is so much more fun than ordering books online.

I just need to try and stay focused and not buy everything that sounds interesting. And I need to read some of the books I buy so I can leave them with Kylie or some charityshop.

Did you really like the third novel as well? I thought it was way out there, I didn't much enjoy it. On the fourth novel Lindsay was back to his good old self though and the novel was great! When do you think you'll be reading the fifth novel? I hope you enjoy it :) Mac, I gotta ask you. Is there perhaps a bit of drag queen in you? You were a Deaverette and Dexterette long before you volunteered yourself as the toga dressed mascot in the new Pervy Coffee House of peace :lol: Aww Mac, how do you put up with us?? :D

I actually really enjoyed the third novel, but agree that it was 'out there'. However, I enjoy quite a lot of stuff referring to the occult and have very much enjoyed Christopher Fowler's novels and short stories, so am well prepared for the odd turns Mr Lindsay might throw at us from time to time.

As for the Drag Queen - alas, I've only really worn a dress on four occasions. Once, as a Panto Dame, once with a bunch of my older scouts when we went to Laser Quest, who insisted I joined them in feminine attire and twice on two separate stag do's. I use this forum to let my inhibitions fly! wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I remeber you asking what to read in Swedish some time ago. A good author I didn't think of then came back to my mind when I looked at the "1001 books.." list- Marianne Fredriksson. At least "Simon och ekarna" and "Anna, Hanna och Johanna" are well worth a read.

Now, this might not be the most important thing on your mind right now, what with you being in Australia... but I'll have forgotten it when you come home.

Mac: If we ever get to arranging a Deaverettes meeting, I'm expecting to see you wearing a tutu and holding pom-poms :giggle2:

Sara: Thanks for the tip, it's greatly appreciated! :smile2:

Here follows the Book Fair haul of frankie. I'll start off with a couple of other book hauls of some sort first, though.

When I got to Sydney and Kylie took me to her house, the next four books were waiting for me on the top of my drawer (in the company of a vase with beautiful flowers!) as a 'Welcome to Australia' present from Kylie!:

Bill Bryson: Down Under

Tim Flannery: The Explorers

Dorothy Wall: Blinky Bill

Tim Winton: Cloudstreet

Kylie was also going to donate some books to the Book Fair and she let me have a look at them before the trip so I could see if there was anything I fancied. I got the following:

Douglas Adams: The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Kingsley Amis: Lucky Jim (1001 Books list)

Jean M. Auel: The Clan of the Cave Bear

Richard Bach: Jonathan Livingstone Seagull

Kim Edwards: The Memory Keeper's Daughter

William Gibson: Neuromancer (1001)

Mark Haddon: A Spot of Bother

Jodi Picoult: Vanishing Acts

Philip Pullman: Northern Lights

Thomas Pynchon: Vineland (1001)

Jean Rhys: Wide Sargasso Sea

And here are the 5 novels I bought at a couple of secondhand bookshops on our way to Canberra and the Book Fair:

Jeffery Deaver: Death of a Blue Movie Star

Jasper Fforde: The Big Over Easy

Mo Hayder: The Treatment

Lynda LaPlante: Trial and Retribution lll

Peter Robinson: Gallows View

I'll post a list of my purchases on the actual Book Fair, soonish.

Wow, Frankie my dear, look at all those books you've already amassed and you haven't even posted your book fair purchases yet! Big thumbs up to you - I approve! :D

Psssttt Mac. You left your, um, 'ensemble' in the Coffee House break room! ;):P

Here are the books that I bought at the book fair:

Laurell K. Hamilton: Guilty Pleasures (BCF recommendation)

Kelley Armstrong: The Summoning (BCF recommendation)

Matt Haig: The Possession of Mr Cave (Weave's recommendation)

Adeline Yen Mah: Falling Leaves (Weave's recommendation?)

Chris Priestley: Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Weave's recommendation)

Jeffery Deaver: Bloody River

Jeffery Deaver: The Cold Moon

Jeffery Deaver: The Garden of Beasts

Jeffery Deaver: Hell's Kitchen

Jeffery Deaver: More Twisted

Jeffery Deaver: The Sleeping Doll

Jeffery Deaver: The Twelth Card

Jeffery Deaver: Twisted

Haruki Murakami: South of the Border, West of the Sun

Haruki Murakami: After the Quake

Haruki Murakami: Dance Dance Dance

Haruki Murakami: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Haruki Murakami: Kafka on the Shore

Haruki Murakami: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

A. S. Byatt: Possession (1001 Books)

Mark Z. Danielewski: House of Leaves (1001 Books)

Ralph Ellison: Invisible Man (1001 Books)

Sebastian Faulks: Charlotte Gray (1001 Books)

Elizabeth Gaskell: Wives and Daughters (1001 Books)

Barbara Kingsolver: The Poisonwood Bible (1001 Books)

David Mitchell: Cloud Atlas (1001 Books)

Marcel Proust: Remembrance of Things Past: 1 (1001 Books)

Michael Chabon: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (RB books)

Andrea Levy: Small Island (RG books)

Valerie Martin: Property (RG books)

Ann Patchett: Bel Canto (RG books)

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings: The Yearling (RG books)

Elisabeth Robinson: The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters (RG books)

Mary Rodgers: Freaky Friday (RG books)

David Sedaris: Me Talk Pretty One Day (RB books)

Peter Carey: True History of the Kelly Gang (Aussie read, 1001 Books)

Marcus Clark: For the Term of His Natural Life (from Kylie, Aussie read)

Norton Juster: The Phantom Tollbooth (from Kylie)

John Marsden: Tomorrow, When the War Began (from Kylie, Aussie read)

Gordon Matthews: An Australian Son (Aussie read)

Mark Brandon Read: Chopper 4 (Aussie read)

Ilsa Sharp: Culture Shock! Australia (Aussie read)

Joy L. Thwaite: The Importance of Being Eve Langley (Aussie read)

Debra Adelaide: The Household Guide to Dying

Linwood Barclay: Fear the Worst (from wishlist)

Gene Brewer: K-Pax

Poppy Z. Brite: Lost Souls

Augusten Burroughs: Magical Thinking (from wishlist)

Fannie Flagg: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Margaret Forster: Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Karen Joy Fowler: The Sweetheart Season (from wishlist)

Yehuda Koren and Eilat Negev: A Lover of Unreason: The Life and Tragic Death of Assia Wevill, Ted Hughes' Doomed Love (from wishlist)

Marilyn Manson with Neil Strauss: The Long Hard Road out of Hell (from wishlist)

Motley Crue: The Dirt (RG-books)

Susan Orlean: The Orchid Thief (from wishlist)

Sylvia Plath: Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams (from wishlist)

Sylvia Plath: Letters Home

Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Mary Shelley: Frankenstein

John Kennedy Toole: A Confederacy of Dunces

Sue Townsend: Rebuilding Coventry

Irvine Welsh: Filth

I also got John Banville's The Sea (1001 Books list) from Kylie as she found a copy in a better condition to replace her previous copy.

Wow! Frankie, you will definitely need to buy another couple of suitcases! Worth it though - good stuff! :D :D

You have some great reads ahead of you and I see you got loads of Deavers! I also spied Lost Souls - Poppy Brite, I just ordered that on Saturday, great minds eh? :friends3: