The 'New Moon film' thread

Weave

Hi, I'm new to this - but am so glad I'm not the only non-teen so Twilight obsessed - I haven't been able to go see New Moon yet I'm far too poor, hoping to go for my b'day, but don't have any friends who would go with me, so I'll have to go with hubby, not really the ideal companion.

I'm currently re-reading the whole saga - can't seem to get my head out of the woods!

Edited by Kell
Removed block bolding

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sniff* I'm so happy for you Charm! You've come so far in your Twi-journey, .

:) Don't you start crying again, you'll just set me off! :)

Thanks everyone! :D

I actually talked my friend into going with me instead of my hubby, I do think it will be a much more girly film and can't be doing with him sitting beside me smirking and rolling his eyes :) Of course I told her she had to watch Twilight first, you know, to get the background (plus I secretly knew she'd fall in love with Edward) :lol:. She loved it so much she watched it twice and is chomping at the bit to see New Moon! :) She's also a reader, so I'm ordering the first three books in the saga off The Book People (

I actually talked my friend into going with me instead of my hubby, I do think it will be a much more girly film and can't be doing with him sitting beside me smirking and rolling his eyes :) Of course I told her she had to watch Twilight first, you know, to get the background (plus I secretly knew she'd fall in love with Edward) :D. She loved it so much she watched it twice and is chomping at the bit to see New Moon! :D She's also a reader, so I'm ordering the first three books in the saga off The Book People (

Excellent work, Charm! We always love new converts :blush:, and how cool that she loves the first film and wants to read the books! I know you guys will love NM. When are you going to see it? Awww :D I'm so happy for you!

thank you! I'm looking forward to it :D :friends0:We're going tomorrow, just after lunch, before school's out! :)

Having gotten this movie's soundtrack, it's actually much more distinctive than I gave it credit for the first time I watched the movie - I've listened to it a few times now so I'm hoping to do what Peacefield did and identify the placement of various songs.

For instance! I know I loved the song that played during the ever-so-sweet montage of hanging out Bella and Jake did when working on the bikes, but I can't remember which song it was.

Also, some of the songs have a not-so-subtle relevance, so it'll be interesting to note placements because of that too.

The movie is showing all this week and all next week at LEAST, so I'm going today again and might go again next week.

Went to see New Moon today and thought it was brilliant! Way better than the book! ...and now? ... well I have to confess, I'm torn between team Edward and the oh so warm and protective Jacob :D

*I can't believe I said that out loud. I'm a mother of two teens for goodness sake! :)*

I'm really trying to! He is pretty cute and everything, and ok the warm protective instinct is very tempting, but on the other hand he's so young! Edward is much more mature which is where I think my head really should be at my age! :):D

Loved the film though and guess what? ... my friend and I were the only two people at that showing! Fantastic! It was like having our very own private viewing! ;)

Edward? Mature?Edward is a whiny emo! The boy is so self-indulgent and childish it's sickening! Jacob is mature - he deals with his issues in a couple of weeks and moves on to minding Bella!

Private viewing for the win though. So many people kept talking and laughing through today's showing that I couldn't concentrate on the movie :)

Edward? Mature?Edward is a whiny emo! The boy is so self-indulgent and childish it's sickening! Jacob is mature - he deals with his issues in a couple of weeks and moves on to minding Bella

No way! I beg to differ! Jacob may be mature for his age but he still has an awful lot of growing up to do, way too much for my liking. Edward is not an emo! Wash your mouth out! ;) He's just in love and hurting! .. of course he could benefit from my tender care to soothe him :)

:D

Yep, I'm on Ed's team! Jake is too young and impulsive, but that's just me :). I love the brooding, worried, protective types. Charm has the right idea about soothing him :);). Glad you loved the film though, Charm! Weitz did such a fantastic job it's not even funny.

Noll, I wasn't sure about a few of the songs on the soundtrack upon listening before I ever saw the film, and there were even a couple which I skipped. Now though, I listen to them all and those less-liked ones have grown on me! I wasn't huge on 'Possibility' at first, but now I know it's over my fave scene (Oct/Nov/Dec montage) and I love it. The scene in the garage between Bella and Jake is 'Shooting the Moon' by OK Go. Also, I really liked the Thom Yorke song 'Hearing Damage' before I saw the movie, but now I love it more (is that possible?! lol) because it's over my other fave scene, with Victoria being chased in the woods by Charlie and the pack :D.

Edward is totally emo. And so melodramatic.

'That's not a solution, that's a tragedy'; oh get over it Edward. The way he talks is so annoying. 'You already do protect me; you're my only reason for being...alive...if that's what I am', /melodrama. Man if that guy spoke like that to me, and was 109, I'd be like, 'dude, you've lived over a century, look at Carlisle, look at Alice, look at Emmett, they're totally cool with their lot, GET OVER IT.'

Jacob can be cringeworthy at times, but mostly it's just like 'I like you. You like me. Where's the problem? Oh yeah, you like emos.'

I think I don't like Jacob because I just see him as acting spoilt but at the same time I know where he is coming from since I was his age at one point :)

I don't think Edward is melodramatic, I think in some ways its his age showing, the time he lived in if you will, Bella is his first priority and if he does it slightly the wrong way, the good intention is still there.

And yes I think about this far too much and really need a job :D

He lived in almost Victorian times. In Victorian times, a girl married well if she were lucky and could sing/speak French and sew well enough, and if she were really lucky, she befriended or learned to love the person she married. Men looked for prospects and child-bearers before anything else. Edward's devotion I think is largely a vampire trait - they're (vampires) all the same. And devotion is not a bad thing, but the way he goes on and on and on is just irritating.

I don't see Jake as being spoilt at all, even when I didn't like him I didn't see that. Pushy, maybe. But considering he's got the man vs. monster thing, and the one girl he cares about is batting for the other monster-team, I think he's got every right to kick up a fuss. Especially when Edward acts the way he does. Like going on about envying Romeo his suicide - who talks about that kind of thing? This is BEFORE Jasper, and he's still like, 'I want to be able to kill myself in case anything happens to you.' Excuse me? If someone said that to me, I'd worry about their mental health and probably slowly back off from them.

At least Jake never abandoned Bella. He told her to go away, and less than a week later came back and apologised, begging her to work it out so she could be part of his world - and surprise surprise that was for the best. What did Edward do when things got a bit tough? Abandon her.

BTW, I love both Eddie and Jacob in different ways, but I'm a new addition to Team Jacob and I have a lot of anti-Eddie steam built up :D I also think about this too much and need a job :)

Edited by Nollaig

I agree with the first part Nollaig, great point, I think that Edward's main trait is the fact that he can't stop trying to define who he is and more importantly what he is.

I think the mention of Romeo and Juliet, although slightly odd (and scary, intense) highlights how much he feels for Bella, the fact that he has thought of suicide is an option shows how much he loves Bella but at the same time, show the dependence he has on Bella.

Jake did not abandon her but he still played on her emotions I think, Edward thought leaving Bella was the best option but it wasn't, lesson learned Edward. Plus we also have the virtual slap in the face from Jacob to Edward, there is not doubt that Jacob loves Bella but he hates the Cullens more.

Jacob and Edward both have good points ~ thankfully :)

I've yet to see the movie, aaaggghhh!

I've tended to sit on the fence alot, but having read all 4 books again, I'm definately Team Edward - I think I was mixing up the book Edward vs movie Edward.

The character in the books definately has more depth than is portrayed in Twilight anyway, as I haven't seen New Moon yet I can't say whether he's come across better, but I can't wait to be able to afford to go see for myself - poor me!

Hope what I said made any sense.

True, Jake's aversion to the Cullens is intense and I did think long and hard about that particular point as a result.This is the conclusion I came to:

Vampires are evil by default - good vampires are the exception to the rule.

Werewolves (or at least, these specific shape-shifters as they're not real werewolves) are good by default - they originated as a response to hostility and attacks by vampires. They are self-proclaimed protectors of humans.

SO, Jake's blood, as the (super)natural response to the bad blood of demons kinda gives him the right to hate the Cullens. Or at least, to be slower to trust them. The Cullens should actually realise that the werewolves are protectors - I don't know if that applies to all werewolves, but, the Cullens (or Edward at least) admit to knowing the Quileutes are actually shape-shifters, designed to protect. Either way, the Cullens should be proving themselves to the Quileutes, whether they like it or not. Not insulting Jake and in Ed's case practically banning her from seeing Jake when the safest place for her is at La Push.

So I'm with Jake on that one too :)

Oh and r.e. the suicide thing: being a vampire is no excuse. If he were human, he'd be put in therapy. None of the others are THAT protective of Bella; (his obsession is largely based on her being a clumsy human). It's not normal. I don't find it at all attractive. I like that Jake allows her to make her own mistakes, but minds her without her ever knowing (when she thought he was ignoring her, he was actually wolfing round her house, and then he takes up double shifts without a word to anyone in Eclipse - Edward would rather lock her in a house.)

Edited by Nollaig

Wow lots of intense discussion happening, I like it! It's a wee bit early for me though so I'll come back later to impart my wisdom :D. I will say that if I were your age, Noll, I might be your fellow team member. Being coughthirtysevencough however Edward just appeals to me on a whole other level I guess :);).

What are you waiting for, Kylie78?! Go see the film!

Oh, and Weave, I agree with you wholeheartedly :).

I think Edward is every bit as immature as Jacob - he's too idealistic to be an adult, so I really don't see how age comes into it. I actually think Jake is far more mature in a lot of ways. Ed is too detached, that's probably his biggest problem. He spent so long pining over his soul that the world moved on without him, and now Bella is dragging him (temporarily) back into it - he's not used to the world revolving around anything but self-contemplation :)

Plus, Taylor Lautner is 17, but Rob's only 23. For anyone who is over 30, both of them are within the raised-eyebrow zone. :D

My view on the 'Team Jacob/ Team Edward' issue is a little different. I don't really see a difference in their age or maturity level so much as I see a difference in the kind of love they represent. Edward represents that fiery sexy love, the kind that most girls have in their dreams- the fantasy. Jacob is the reality, the kind of man who truely could be out there (minus the whole werewolf thing). They are both mature in their own ways and since they are immortal, who needs to worry about physical age :D

I've been on the Team Edward bus since reading the books and am not about to change that, but I do hope that there is a man out there who will stand up for me and be there for me in the ways Jacob does for Bella. Sigh... :)

Oh I agree, age is irrelevant to me as well, I was just pointing that out :)

As for the love thing - I completely agree about Edward representing fairytale love and Jacob representing real love - and that for me also works in Jake's favour. I've never been one for fairytale endings, and Edward's attempt at devotion is downright stalkerish. My best mate also adores Edward and wishes her BF was devoted to the point of obsession (her words, not mine) but that's just not my dream at all. My dream is finding perfection in the utter imperfection of being human. I wouldn't want someone who made me the core of their existence - that's too much pressure. I'd rather be an equal. Jake offers something closer to that.

And he's sooooooooooo cutesy :D

Edward totally won me over the first time through, and when I see the start of New Moon and most of Twilight, I love him and Bella. Then Jacob, and reality with him, comes crashing in.

Can I also point out, I freaking adore Native Americans - that reeeeeeeeally helps Jake out a LOT. :)