What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

I received the last of my ordered books in the mail yesterday:

Norton Juster: The Phantom Tollbooth

I'm also making good progress in Fight Club and should finish tomorrow.

Edited by Kylie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, this thread is turning into something rather boring for me to read. Practically every post is about one vampire book or another. And if by some miracle it's not about vampires, it's some serial killer or whatnot... So not my thing. *laughs*

Received my Book People and Amazon orders today, however I'm having the entire Amazon batch replaced as all of them have black marks and/or dents - and they're :welcome2: collector's items, bought new from the main site, these are not Marketplace transactions! Looks like I'm going to have to wait yet some more to read Jane Eyre; also one copy of Foyle's Philavery was meant to be part of the present for a friend I see on Sunday... that's going to be interesting.

My Matthew Pearl book has fallen off the radar. Haven't opened it in days. This does not bode well.

Has it fallen off the radar because you've been ill Noll or because it just isn't grabbing you?

Sad face :welcome2:.

I finished The Lost Art of Gratitude by Alexander McCall Smith today. I love the Isabel Dalhousie books, they're very gentle, but contemplative and full of those philosophical, moral dilemmas that I feel perhaps I should consider more myself in my everyday life.

Going to start The First Person by Ali Smith next which is a collection of short stories. I've read a couple of her novels and loved them, and since I'm trying to read more short stories, this seemed a perfect choice from the library.

Has it fallen off the radar because you've been ill Noll or because it just isn't grabbing you?

Sad face :(.

D'awwwwww :tong: Just isn't grabbing me! But I shall prevail, never fear, etc.

Posted 'The Butterfly Lion' ~ Michael Morpurgo, to Nollaig today.

:exc:

Today I discovered Anna McPartlin has written a book inspired by Jack Lukeman. I've read the former and was impressed, and I adore the latter.

Am going straight to Waterstones tomorrow to track down this book.

I love Fight Club. Chuck Palahniuk is amazing! If you haven't read it yet, check out Choke by him. :tong:

Thanks! This is my first Palahniuk and definitely not my last. I've already read interesting things about Choke, so I'm sure it will be going on my wish list in the near future!

Well, I've read some weird and wonderful recently. I started Howard Spring's "All the Day Long" and realised, although a lovely book, I just wasn't ready for a big tome - not this close to Christmas:lol: So I picked up Boris Akunin's second book with the hero Erast Fandorin - "the Turkish Gambit". Good read but goodness it was centred around the Russian Turkish war - WHAT??!?! I had to go on wikipedia to do some homework first:D After reading up on the background, thoroughly enjoyed itand I've become a military strategist into the bargain:mrgreen:.

Now, I've decided to re-read Rebecca and I'm just loving it. It will take a while because I really want to savour the words this time round.

I have just received Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction by Tom Raabe off BookMooch; a quick smirking perusal tells me this is going to be one journey of self-discovery :tong:! I'll also need to get down to the post office to send my damaged books back to Amazon, *grump*.

Hey Bookjumper, I've checked Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction, and it seems quite an interesting book, let me know (please :tong: ) what do you think of it when you get over it.

P.s. are you on bookmooch too, you can add me if you want I'm, as in here, MDR124.

Hey Bookjumper, I've checked Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction, and it seems quite an interesting book, let me know (please) what do you think of it when you get over it.
I will do. As its light, diverting non-fiction mostly in the shape of lists, tests and epigrams, it should not take me long :tong: and, you have a friend.

:tong: I'm sorry about your mojo, Charm! Annoyances like that should be few and far between. I hope it comes back swiftly!

I haven't read The Color of Magic Libri, but I am a big Fforde fan so I will tell you that you can't go wrong with The Eyre Affair :exc:.

I managed to only squeeze in a couple of pages from Stolen last night before falling asleep. Hopefully I'll get more in since my friend has just lent me Brown's The Lost Symbol and I'm anxious to read it and get it back to her.

I have less than 100 pages left in Jane Eyre. I can't decide if I should read The Eyre Affair right away, or read The Color of Magic in between the two. Ah, what to do, what to do. The dilemma!
I'd read The Eyre Affair straightaway 'cos chances are it will read better if the characters from the original are still fresh in your mind; you can always read the Pratchett afterwards, and in fact this should work very well - Sir Terry himself is an admirer of Jasper, for reasons that will become apparent after a few pages of the latter, so they should mesh well.

A good bookday for me. I didn't manage to get Faithless by Karin Slaughter from the library since someone had already borrowed it after last night when it was still available. Well I'm gonna make a reservation for it and get it later :tong: Otherwise better luck, I took my copy of Sleepyhead by Mark Billingham to the library's free book exchange shelf and got John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces in return!! (In Finnish though, which was a bit of a disappointment but good enough!)

Also borrowed some interesting reads about Africa and the dear old 70s, and Noam Chomsky and Nikki Sixx's The Heroin Diaries.