What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

I've just finished the Arsenic Labyrinth, the third in a trilogy for very good crime thrillers set in and around the Lakes by Martin Edwards. Thoroughly recommended.

Now, what to start on next - which one of my 150 on Mount TBR takes my fancy and my mood. I know, I think I'll make a start on All the Day Long by Howard Spring, I'm in the mood for a saga.

Also started to read snippets from Delight by J B Priestley. I think this is going to be a constant "good companion" (pardon the pun) as the short stories are just delightful.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Royal Mail kindly informs me that they couldn't deliver a parcel too big for my letterbox (my hardback copy of Inkheart from BookMooch, I presume) because no one was in, i.e. my flatmates who are in couldn't be bothered getting the door. How very nice of them, now I need to wait until tomorrow and spend money to reach the sorting office to get it *growl*.

Royal Mail kindly informs me that they couldn't deliver a parcel too big for my letterbox (my hardback copy of Inkheart from BookMooch, I presume) because no one was in, i.e. my flatmates who are in couldn't be bothered getting the door. How very nice of them, now I need to wait until tomorrow and spend money to reach the sorting office to get it *growl*.

I used to hate that when I lived in a house with my housemates :D.

I am fortunate now that I know my village postman so if there is a big parcel that does not need signing he will open the porch door and pop it in. :)

I started The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime last night by Mark Haddon, and am about 60 pages in. I love the way it's written, and the little illustrations are great :).

Thanks for the recommendations all you smart peeps!

I started The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime last night by Mark Haddon, and am about 60 pages in. I love the way it's written, and the little illustrations are great :).

Thanks for the recommendations all you smart peeps!

Yay!!! :D Excellentomundo! You'll have it finished in no time!

I just finished Sleepyhead myself and I was glad I persisted. Not the best of crime fiction but indeed readable and enjoyable! I think it is only appropriate that I read The Diving Bell next! Then it's off to Karin Slaughter's next installment :)

Woo-hoo for finishing Sleepyhead, Frankie! And just the other day (or was it yesterday?) I was suggesting you abandon it. I bet you're glad you stuck with it :). Have fun with Diving Bell and then the Slaughter.

Let me know if you haven't picked up Curious Incident, Beth, and I'll post it to you when I'm done if you want! :D

Woo-hoo for finishing Sleepyhead, Frankie! And just the other day (or was it yesterday?) I was suggesting you abandon it. I bet you're glad you stuck with it :). Have fun with Diving Bell and then the Slaughter.

Oh I do remember, you wicked devil! :D Tut tut!!

Haven't started reading The Diving Bell yet, I had to run some important and unexpected errands. Now it's time for a nice cuppa Joe and a book :)

I read this book about three years ago and loved it

At the moment I am 80 pages into Her Fearful symmetry and I have to be honest and say that i am hating it. I just hope that it gets better, very disappointing.

Oooo, I would be interested in your thoughts on Life Expectancy. :D

Hi,

It was a good read,although not the best one I have read by Dean Koontz,it made me laugh a few times,and there was a good twist:mrgreen:

Hope I havent given too much away:smile2: If your a Dean Koontz fan,I would say it's worth reading:mrgreen::)

Hi,

It was a good read,although not the best one I have read by Dean Koontz,it made me laugh a few times,and there was a good twist:mrgreen:

Hope I havent given too much away:smile2: If your a Dean Koontz fan,I would say it's worth reading:mrgreen::)

Cool deal! I am a new Dean Koontz fan, and have a lot to read, so I will ad this one to my list. :D:)

Something about that title just totally turns me off. I don't know what...

I resisted the book for a long time as well for just that reason. I generally steer clear of books that have 'clever' titles. It just seems they're trying too hard to get my attention. But with all the great things I kept hearing about it I finally decided to bite the bullet and read it. And I'm glad I did. :)

I got two more books in the mail yesterday: Other Voices, Other Rooms and Summer Crossing, both by Truman Capote. A little disappointed in the condition of Summer Crossing, which came from the BD and has a lot of creases all over the front and back covers. Oh well.

Edited by Kylie
Terrible typo :(

I resisted the book for a long time as well for just that reason. I generally steer clear of books that have 'clever' titles. It just seems they're trying to hard to get my attention.

You said exactly what I couldn't. That's it, they're trying to hard. And yes, unfortunately that could lead to me missing something, but then again, there's plenty of well-named excellent books out there, so I don't feel too bad over skipping them easily.

More books in the mail today. Yay! I love coming home to more book packages every single day. :)

I got the first 8 books in the Sookie Stackhouse series (thanks to all the hype about it here!) I can finally see what it's all about. And I got The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear Walter Moers (thanks to Gyre's review :D)

Edited by Kylie