First record you ever owned!

SueB

The first record I bought was Money Money Money by Abba along with Cars by Gary Numan, both 7" singles. I remember playing them over and over again on my Dad's record player, if you kept the arm up they just kept repeating :roll:

Now I feel old :irked:

Wasnt Cars by Gary Numan 1979???

OMG I were 16 then :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those were the days :D Sue - I wasn't far behind you.

I shan't say I was only 7 then *runs away fast* :roll:

Those were the days you could actually dance to the music and you actually understood what they were singing about Judy :D

As for you Lady Scarlett.......pushing and your luck springs to mind right now :irked::irked:

As for you Lady Scarlett.......pushing and your luck springs to mind right now :roll::D

Not like I can run fast is it? :irked: I've just spoken to my sister and she says the first record I bought was actually a Toyah single which I then promptly gave to her as a Christmas present one year :irked:

Not like I can run fast is it? :D I've just spoken to my sister and she says the first record I bought was actually a Toyah single which I then promptly gave to her as a Christmas present one year :irked:

Not like I can chase ya either is it sis :roll: we make a right pair eh :irked:

The first album I bought with my own money was 'Thriller' by Michael Jackson. It had just come out and I think I was 11 or 12 at the time. I remember my first 45 single as 'We Are the World,' :irked:.

I used to listen a lot to all my older sibs's records too. My sisters were huge fans of Bread, America and David Cassidy, and I distinctly remember the soundtrack for Saturday Night Fever being playing over and over, much to my dad's dismay :roll:. He hated anything that wasn't jazz. Luckily I have his entire vinyl collection now and wouldn't part with it for the world.

The first records I ever bought myself were Lonely This Christmas by Mud and Amazing Grace by The Scots Dragoon Guards, I think it was by them but I do remember the bagpipes :irked: and I still have them tucked away in a box somewhere. Now I feel really really ancient lol

If I remember correctly (and I'm sure I don't) I believe my first album purchase was Madonna's True Blue. It was a cassette tape and I played it on a little pink stereo. Ah, memories! :irked:

First single would have been "House of Fun" by Madness, on 7" vinyl, brought from Woolworths in the Bull Ring (the old one!) for 99p.

First Album was Human's Lib by Howard Jones. Can't remember how much, but around 4 quid.

Now I feel old!

Ian

If memory serves, I believe it was an ABBA album and yes ....on vinyl. :blush:

Sue ...this should make you feel better. When we moved to the house in the country, my oldest was about 3 at the time. In the midst of all the boxes, he happened to come accross a couple of boxes with albums in it. He pulled one out and the conversation went something like this;

Son: "What is this, Mommy?"

Me - distracted: "Oh....that's just a record ....we'll find a place for them later." I continue emptying the box marked "misc" :D

Long pause ....

Son: "But ....what are they for?"

Me: "Oh my God! That's right, you've never even seen one of these before!" :eek:

It was the first time I realized that there truly is a whole generation between myself and my kids. :lol:

Edited by NovaLee
spelling

When I was 8 I begged and begged my parents to buy me Blondie's Call Me on tape. It's still one of my favourite songs and band today :blush: It went slightly downhill from there though as the next tape I owned was something by Bros! Nice :D

Davys on the Road again by Manfred Mann

I haven't heard that song for years! I do like it. :D

Dunno what came first, but I know the first thing I listened to was War Of The Worlds :blush:

All four of us love this! It's our 'long journey' CD! :lol:

Edited by Janet

First single would have been "House of Fun" by Madness, on 7" vinyl, brought from Woolworths in the Bull Ring (the old one!) for 99p.

First Album was Human's Lib by Howard Jones. Can't remember how much, but around 4 quid.

Now I feel old!

No way..just about my style. :blush: Ah the 80s, going all nostalgic. :D

Now I feel old!

Ian

Yes it was Sue ... thanks for pointing that out :blush:

...I was however only a mere 11! :motz:

:D

Ian please dont feel old.........House of Fun was around what 1982 if Im right in thinking.....I was 18 :lol:

Charm.....you are but a mere baby in comparison to me :eek: