A Born Reader Or A Convert?

Katrina1968

Guest velocipede2288

I have loved to read from a very early age. Reading William Brown by Richmald Crompton in school during the, what we called the quiet period, probably got me hooked on reading. But my father read a great deal, so I may have caught the habbit from him.

I also like reading bibliographies, books on books, this has encouraged me to read many books I would otherwise have overlooked.

One I would highly recommend is the BBC's The Big Read,Book of Books.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Born reader. Without a doubt.

I remember confronting (very timidly) my first junior school teacher and explaining that Kip, Biff and Chip picture books were far too easy for me, and could I please have something that had some challenge to it (aged 4)?

She told me not to be such a snob. At which point my mother haughtily removed me from said school and placed me into a new one, where the kids were taught by a combination of ability and age, and not just age. Yay for mummy because I made some friends who read well, and we were able to work together in class.

In the last two years of junior school, bookcases were placed outside the classrooms, upon which books were categorised by stickers. A colour sticker was for lower level readers, while blue stickers with coloured dots on them were for higher level readers, with blue-red dot being the highest.

My year 5 teacher suggested I bring in something from the library with a note from mum to permit my choice because blue-red dot wouldn't challenge me at all (her words). I chose Flowers in the Attic by Virginia Andrews as my first "bring-in-from-home" book.

My teacher was gobsmacked by the choice, but very excited. And I was the only student who wasn't allowed to read from my book to the class :lol:

Born reader - I was slightly precocious in that I learnt to read before I turned 3 and in reading assessments at school my reading age was always years beyond my actual age. My whole family are readers though so probaby not surprising that my sisters and I are too :lol:

Yeh same here I was always advanced in my reading ability but both mum and dad always have there noses in a book so I guess Ive grown up knowing no different and my younger brother is a reader too.......:(

I can't really remember a time I couldn't read, my mother read to me and taught me to read for myself early, I must have been between 4 and 5. My father's family has a streak of dyslexia, and she was afraid I would inherit that trait.

The first book I can say I remember reading for myself was Grandpa in Oz, it was my father's, and I wish I had it now. I have no idea what happened to that wonderful old thing.

This past summer (as most summers in a bookshoppe) was a nightmare. The kids REALLY hated their required summer reading. The schools dont allow them to read what the want to so you've got really ticked teens getting stuck reading The Great Gatsby when they want to pick what suits their interest.

Sure way to turn off a kid from reading.

Guest velocipede2288

I remember being ill in bed and my uncle binging me "The Gorilla Hunters," by R.M. Ballantyne. My parents thought it was far to old for me, but I greatly enjoyed it.

This past summer (as most summers in a bookshoppe) was a nightmare. The kids REALLY hated their required summer reading. The schools dont allow them to read what the want to so you've got really ticked teens getting stuck reading The Great Gatsby when they want to pick what suits their interest.

:lol: Absolutely. Why I stopped reading for nearly 15 years. So much for education.

Actually I liked every book that they gave me (and still give) to read at school.

I only disliked one "Os Mais" by E

Although I understand what you are saying, what is a school or teacher supposed to do?

Do they only select texts that are almost certain to be instantly liked, or do they go for a variety of books that will hopefully teach them something outside of their immediate teen universe?

A difficult one. I only hope that one or two are blown away by the choices given and enter that fabulous world of reading things that can surprise and delight us outside of our usual comfort zones. :lol:

Born reader here, I used to read the bedtime stories to my little sisters. Then I married into a family of non readers and late starters. My son was a late starter and it was so hard for me to understand, I thought I'd failed as a mother!

Then he started reading The Worst Witch at age 8 and swiftly moved on to Good Omens. He soon became a Terry Pratchett fan and thanks to Kell here, got into Kelly Armstrong's books too.

Born reader here, I used to read the bedtime stories to my little sisters. Then I married into a family of non readers and late starters. My son was a late starter and it was so hard for me to understand, I thought I'd failed as a mother!

Then he started reading The Worst Witch at age 8 and swiftly moved on to Good Omens. He soon became a Terry Pratchett fan and thanks to Kell here, got into Kelly Armstrong's books too.

I used to read to my two as children.....we got through all the Roald Dahl books at one stage became a routine and a good bit of bonding too :lol:

I just wish my two read more......

I'd say I was a born reader but has been on and off. In primary school and high school I read, but the later years I only read what we were made to read. Didn't pick up a book until the begining of last year and only then it was about 3 books, this year however is a different story! Even though I do go through waves of full on reading one after the other and then nothing for a week or two.

Born reader. My mom and dad are both avid readers, and my dad taught me to read before I could go to school. My mom bought me a new book each week to encourage me - I also have two brothers who are both avid readers, although we all have different tastes.