A Born Reader Or A Convert?

Katrina1968

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Born reader-I can't remember the first book I read but I do remember getting Scholastic Readers- little circulars with books for sale-and always getting a stack of books thanks to my parents generosity

Convert 100%.

Read some as a kid, but mainly because I was bored, and trust me, American TV back in the 1970s was lame, so there wasn't much else to do on a rainy day.

The interest faded away until I was introduced to Judy Blume at the age of 12, but once I read all of her books, I stopped reading. Then that required High School reading put most of the nails in the coffin!

Once I started commuting to work, I picked it up again, I was 19. I read mostly True Crime.

Then I slacked off again, so my recent conversion is about 5 years now, the longest run, don't think I'll stop now.

Hiya , I have been reading for just a few years. I am right into true stories , but I like other books as well. :friends0: I don't read science fiction or war stories , if a book has a good story I will read it.

Virginia Andrews she is one of my faves. :(

Edited by Kell
Added caps and punctuation.

• 1 month later...

Im converted :smile2: I really wasnt into reading growing up.

When I was around 14 my mum gave me a book that she had read when she was young, it was Black Beauty. It got me hooked and now I always have my head in a book :D

I still have that copy of Black Beauty and I still re-read it.

Born reader, for sure.

I remember being able to read before I was four, and my mother telling me I would be able to join the local library when I went to school - back then, children weren't allowed access to library books until they were considered 'sensible.' SHE LIED!! I had to wait a whole nine months until I was FIVE before I got my precious library ticket: what a con!

Apart from the time just after my first child was born, when I seemed to have difficulty concentrating, my library ticket has always had some book or other logged out to me. Best value I can think of! :D

I had an advanced reading age at school and when I chose a book considered "Too hard" and was not allowed to have it from the school library I sonn had my Mum up at the school telling them off.

Then my mother gave me the best gift ever, she joined me as a junior at the village library, the difference was the elderly librarian would let me choose from the adult shelves and would often chose books I may like. I read anything from Follyfoot to Bernard Cornwell I have never stopped reading and read three or four books a week, So I guess I am a born reader. It took many years to convert my Nephew who now reads alot but the girls in the family find reading sooooooo boooooooooooring :D

• 2 months later...
What a lovely introduction to the world of books. I need my own copy to re-read I think, I remember reading it as a child and bawling by eyes out :console:!

I still do :blush: everytime I read it I feel 14 again.

Ive got the movie (but its not as good as the book)

I'm a born reader, I was about 8 when I realised it was an obsession and that I read far more than most. My mum likes to joke I've been a reader since the womb, being that the only time my mum ever read for enjoyment was when she was pregnant with me. :)

Neither of my parents are readers, but my mother taught me to read at 4 and I never looked back. As a youngster my reading age was always at least 5 years above my real age, and my real passion was to read. My mother can still relate the one and only time I visted a 'schoolfriend' -15 minutes play then I settled in a corner and read a book!! So I'm a born reader, might bore some people with my enthusiasm ho hum.....

Interestingly enough my brother hates reading; he'd rather watch TV, which I don't have and loathe.

Edited by sirinrob

I am also a born reader. My parents were (and still are) big readers so I guess it rubbed off!

In fact, my catchphrase was "can I just finish this chapter..." and my Dad's nickname for me as a child/teenager was Basil Bookworm! :)

When I first went to school I struggled to learn to read and write, so the teachers suggested that my Mum book me some books to encourage me to read at home. After she did that my reading age shot up, and by the time I was 10, I had the reading age of a 16 year old and couldn't get enough of it. It's still the same now - I guess I must have been a born reader then, it just had to be brought out of me.

In fact, my catchphrase was "can I just finish this chapter..."
Pretty much the catchphrase of all my family, too :) I remember being told to put my book down and go to bed 'cos there was school in the morning, then getting up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water and finding everyone else with their lights on, still reading!

i am a converted reader when i was younger i had a terrible impression of reading, i eventually started reading a 13 and i am only 14 now :), last christmas i was given twilight by my mother it came free with somthing else she bought, and i just shoved it aside but when i was at my nans extreem boredom came over me and i started reading and never stopped since. Now i have gone on to bigger books to make up for some lost time and am always ready for a big challenge i cannot believe the attitude i had towards reading because now it is all i want to do. :lol: