What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 6!

Echo

I won some books on ebay last night:

John Brunner: The Shockwave Rider

LM Montgomery: Anne of Green Gables box set (8 books)

I have so many books on their way to me at the moment that I can barely keep track of them all! :eek2:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Dracula - man it dragged for about 100 pages, and then I basically skimmed the last 100 pages coz I was sick of it. Good book, but it goes on and on and on....

Still, I got what I wanted, which was the majority of the story and a feel for the characters. On to The Undead!

This morning I finished The Murder of Bunny Munro....bit disappointed in truth but a good but quick read.

Going to start Rabbit at Rest - John Updike today at some point :eek2:

I am half way through the One HUndredth Man. I am liking it so far and liking the main character, Carson Ryder. A little confused by his past, but I am sure it will reveal it self soon. The main plot is awesome and I am wondering who is the murderer, I do have my own ideas, which to me means it is a good book.

Have too much to do to read any today (Maybe a lunch though) so will have to hit it tonight. :eek2:

Last night's book activity was I started Dacre Stoker's The Un-Dead.

Well, it's different, I'll give you that. Everybody suddenly seems fictional and melodramatic! Obviously the writing style is much more modern, but that's not it. It's like, back when Bram was writing, it was 'improper' to talk out loud about your feelings for such and such a woman, and everything was all prim and proper - it was an 'outward' look at these characters. This book seems to be slightly more focused on what was going on in these people's minds, belaying emotions to a dramatic degree they never would have in the original novel. Makes them seem like whole other people!

Anyway, I'm only 30 pages in, and so far I - AM - LOVING IT! It's totally OTT. It's great.

I finally finished Past Imperfect last night - the ending was kind of predictable, but not, at the same time. An interesting book nevertheless, despite the fact that it was so long and did go on for longer than I felt was really necessary.

I have now started to read The Vagrants by YiYun Li, which is set in China during the late 70's in the aftermath of the cultural revolution. I am only a few pages in, but can tell that this is going to be a good read.

Well after much deliberation Ive decided Im gonna start Thanks for the memories by Cecelia Ahern really loving her books right now :D

I read this a while ago and remember liking it (although I can't remember what it was about :D). Hope you enjoy it.

I'm still reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

So glad you are enjoying this one, MuggleMagic! Have you met Sam yet? I would love to know someone like him :D.

I'm trying to gather my thoughts on The Bone Garden and put them to screen :lol:. It's been a hectic week and it's only Tuesday! I'm also trying to decide what I'm in the mood to read next...

Yes, Sam is luffly ;) I really like books that distract from the action a little bit by putting stuff like that in... something normal. Makes me feel a little closer to the characters if that makes sense :D

Glad you are enjoying this. It has finally prompted me to order The Heretic's Daughter today so by the time I've finished my present book "The Coffin Trail" by Martin Edwards, I should be ready for Heretic's daughter. I just love that period in American History.

I have Heretic's Daughter on my reading list :) I also find this part of American History interesting but (until now) have never found an interesting book about it :lol:

I have been reading Going Postal on the train and got a few books from Books etc for cheap!

Terry Pratchett - The Truth

Terry Pratchett - Night Watch

Terry Pratchett and Stephen Briggs - The New Discworld Companion

Terry Pratchett (comp. by Stephen Briggs) - The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld

The last book is amazing to just dive into randomly if you want something to cheer you up! It's full of the best quotes from all the Discworld novels! Perfect for a Discworld lover like myself!

Yes, Sam is luffly :lol: I really like books that distract from the action a little bit by putting stuff like that in... something normal. Makes me feel a little closer to the characters if that makes sense :D

I have Heretic's Daughter on my reading list :D I also find this part of American History interesting but (until now) have never found an interesting book about it :)

I completely agree about distractions like that, MuggleMagic! It's nice to be able to relate to those normal things that go on. I have Heretic's Daughter on my list as well, and hopefully will come across reasonably priced copy soon. I finished Bone Garden and am in the mood for something light, so I think I'll attempt to read 'Shopaholic and Baby.' I've read the other Shopaholic books, but a couple years ago so not sure if it's still my 'thing.' I also wanted to read it because the copy I have is a friend's, and I'd love to be able to give it back to her so I don't have to box it up to send to my new place :lol:.

I finally finished 'Sunshine' by Robin McKinley, I enjoyed it but I was starting to waver a bit at the end :D I just started 'Frostbitten' by Kelley Armstrong

:D

I said I wasn't going to post updates to my reading of The Glass Bead Game because I thought it would take me forever to read, but I'm actually getting through it pretty quickly. Once I got past the laborious introduction it picked up somewhat. I suppose you could say that I'm enjoying it, but it's a very different book. I'm definitely getting something out of it; I just haven't worked out what yet. :D

I got a book in the mail yesterday which my postie had once again jammed into the mail slot, ripping open one whole side of the package. Luckily the book wasn't damaged but I rang Aus Post to complain and I'm going to fill out an official complaint form. I have more books on the way and I'm now terrified of what condition I'll find them in! :D