What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 6!

Echo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read about 50 pages of Enduring Love. It's off to a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to happen next.

I read this some years ago and found the opening two or three chapters to be among the most engrossing openings I have ever read. I'd hate to say the rest of the novel is an anti-climax but I felt that the beginning was so brilliantly written, the imagery so striking, that McEwan was at pains to top it.

I'm all grumped. Today I went to Bookends, one-hundred-and-eight Charing Cross Road (formerly the 84 Charing Cross Road), found over twenty books I would have gladly taken home between three and five pounds each, but they were all two or more of the following: 1. grimy 2. bent 3. highlihgted (!!!) as remaindered. After two hours of browsing I emerged with nothing more than an enlarged wishlist. If Frank Doel knew what had happened to his shop, he'd die

(again)

of shame.

Stephanie - I wanna do your uni course! :friends0:

Just finished Rebecca and loved it. I'm highlighting it as one of my favourite books for this year!

Have now started on The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

From one extreme to the other! I love both of those books.

I've just started on The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. I've had my eye on this one for months but have been waiting for the paperback (now

Edited by Janet

I'm doing some research today from an old running book (non-fiction), it was published 26 years ago but the stuff in it is so relevant. The Complete Distance Runner by Bruce Tulloh

I had started reading a book written by a friend (his first) Pull Up A Sandbag by Jonathan Smiles (also non-fiction) but loaned it to another friend who's in hospital.

I still have a third book on the go though, One Hundred years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I read the first 50 pages but am going back to the start, it's that good.

Glad you liked Rebecca, Paperplane!

I read about 50 pages of Leeway Cottage last night and am really enjoying it. It's one of those quiet reads that I haven't read in awhile. Plus, it didn't take me as long as I thought it would to get back into non-vamp subject matter. Not that I won't go back to it straightaway after I finish this one :friends0:.

I got my copy of The Girl Who Played With Fire this afternoon and I can not wait to start it. :friends0:

I got an Email from my Library confirming my copy is ready to pick up but I have a load of books to read first so I won't start it for while I don't think.