What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 6!

Echo

No, right now I'm only reading books I' haven't read before.:motz:

Great, Dimitra! How are you finding 1984?

I read more of Leeway Cottage last night and did a couple pages this morning in bed but I was getting sleepy so that didn't last :smile2:. Loving the book though! I'm hoping to finish it this week while I'm on vacation.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just got back from my holidays (Booooooooooo!) and I'm halfway through Queen of the Damned which I haven't been able to put down. I scowled at anyone who dared to make a noise on the flight back home! :motz: Think I'm an unsociable reader:lurker:

I'm loving reading about Lestat again.....he's such a charmer!

I finished reading 'Scarpetta' by Patricia Cornwell this week. I enjoyed the read despite approaching it with trepidation after her books of recent years.

I also read the book I bought at Barter Books in Alnwick, Linda Fairstein's 'Killer Heat'. I have always liked her Alex Cooper series, and I love learning about the history of various parts of New York. This one was a little history heavy at times, and one does have to hold a belief in this one character getting into the scrapes that she does, but aside from these very minor gripes, it was a taut and well executed book.

I have now made a start on 'The Reader' by Bernhard Schlink, ready for the forum October readfest! :motz:

I'm now on the 9th life of Captain Bluebear, in The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers :motz:

Edited by Weave

I just finished Chelsea Cain's Evil at Heart. Another great Gretchen Lowell novel :smile2: Don't know what to read next. I was browsing my list of the books I've bought this year and I was surprised more that once to realise I have this and that, it's so great to discover "new" books I have (=books I'd forgotten I'd bought) :motz: Too many great ones to choose from.

To further my planned Jasper Fforde binge in preparation for the publication of Shades of Grey in December, I've gone insane and ordered signed copies of all of his books I was missing (First Among Sequels, The Big Over Easy and Fourth Bear). I am vexed that the new edition of FAS (the one with the missing footnotes reinstated) has a cover that will jar with all the other Thursday Next and Nursery Crime books, but what can you do? Evil Hodder didn't reprint it with the original cover so meh.

I am also not-so-patiently waiting for my preordered copy of Unseen Academicals (whooo!! new Terry Pratchett!! I am planning to build a proper Discworld library with the 18 leather-bound Unseen Library volumes and all the others in hardback, so I thought I might as well) and The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide from the States. I had to cancel my Amazon.uk order as it had gone out of stock; B&N wouldn't take my dirty UK card so I had to Amazon Marketplace it from a US based seller... I just hope it gets here before HitchCon09 on October 11th or I will be depressed.

To cap it all off, tomorrow - an evening with Dacre Stoker, great-grand-nephew of Bram Stoker!

Edited by BookJumper
can't spell

Somebody kick me please. I'm still reading The Ghost at the Table. Barely into it in fact ....only on page 67. Tsk Tsk Tsk :motz: I don't know what's happening ....it looks like it's going to be a great read, I want to read it, I've carried it back and forth to work for a week now and for some reason, I'm just not reading it. This book is for my bookclub which meets next week and it must be done then. I'm in a slump, I suppose and need someone to give me a nudge.

Somebody kick me please. I'm still reading The Ghost at the Table. Barely into it in fact ....only on page 67. Tsk Tsk Tsk :motz: I don't know what's happening ....it looks like it's going to be a great read, I want to read it, I've carried it back and forth to work for a week now and for some reason, I'm just not reading it. This book is for my bookclub which meets next week and it must be done then. I'm in a slump, I suppose and need someone to give me a nudge.

Well I'm looking forward to your review so I hope you stick with it!

There's a Lost Mojo Support Group in the general book discussions thread - that might help. :smile2:

BookJumper, I saw 'First Among Sequels' the other day at B&N and for some lame reason didn't even pick it up to look at the blurb. In fact, it was probably because I hadn't had any coffee yet that day and the pesky Starbucks sign was hypnotizing me with its glow, LOL.

What is it about? Is it part of the Thursday Next series or the Nursery Crimes?

BookJumper, I saw 'First Among Sequels' the other day at B&N and for some lame reason didn't even pick it up to look at the blurb. In fact, it was probably because I hadn't had any coffee yet that day and the pesky Starbucks sign was hypnotizing me with its glow, LOL. What is it about? Is it part of the Thursday Next series or the Nursery Crimes?

First Among Sequel is book five of the Thursday Next series :motz: incidentally, I thought it was also the last, but apparently there's a 6th book scheduled for next year or the year after - One of Our Thursdays is Missing, I think it's called. With Shades of Gray book 1 published in December, that means crazy Jasper plans to have two series on the go at the same time... just to confuse us further. Three if he decides to continue with the Nursery Crimes, but at least those are still set in the Thursdayverse.

And confuse us further he will! :motz: I will have to get my hands on FAS then since it's the only Thursday book I don't own. Is 'Shades of Gray' yet another series he's starting? I would love to see another Nursery Crime book, although I still have to read The Fourth Bear so I should stop grumbling I guess.

And confuse us further he will! :D I will have to get my hands on FAS then since it's the only Thursday book I don't own. Is 'Shades of Gray' yet another series he's starting? I would love to see another Nursery Crime book, although I still have to read The Fourth Bear so I should stop grumbling I guess.
Shades of Grey is another series altogether, yes; as far as I've understood it's set in a society where your position in life is determined by how wide the spectrum of colours you see is :motz: sounds about as mind-bendingly intriguing as usual.

My crazy idea was to exhaust all Thursday Next books before Shades of Grey comes out so as to give it my full attention; my even crazier idea was to get through the two Nursery Crime books as well. Jasper, however, has foiled my plans, seeing as Thursday next does not end with FAS... :smile2: bad Jasper!

I'm still reading Anne Rice's Queen of the Damned and I must say I'm completely hooked! I'm almost finished unfortunately then I'll have to start reading for University which isn't half as fun as Lestat's nightly wanderings :motz::smile2:

Im halfway through Songs of the Humpback Whales and Im absolutely loving it........if anyone hasnt read this I can highly recommend it...I for one cant put it down :smile2:

SueB, that's quite interesting! I tried reading it but hated it. I can't wait to see your review! :motz:

I'm still on the 9th life of Captain Bluebear, he is still walking through the Demerara Desert with the Muggs in The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers. I just have to say 'Muggly' :motz: