What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 6!

Echo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good day bookwise. I got my copy of Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol today! Also went to the library to dispose of a couple of books and got me John Updike's The Witches of Eastwick and Boris Akunin's crime novel (don't know the English title), for free. I also found Rape: A Love Story by Joyce Carol Oates, I've been looking for this for ages! I borrowed it as well as Janet Evanovich's One for the Money (some people on here have liked these books so I'll give them a go) and John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces which I've read before but as I'm soon going to finish the last Sookie Stackhouse book I think I need a lot of variety to choose from. Picking out the next read will be extremely difficult and I want to have as much to choose from as possible. (Also, Gyre's been reading this and I would just love to reread the book :friends0:)

Oh yeah, and like I already said I'm going to be finishing Dead and Gone soon. I started the book last night in bed and it's the best one after the 4th book (you know which one I'm talking about!!). It's so great! But I hate finishing it :D

I just finished A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole which was a great read and I am about to start The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers

and

I just ordered from amazon ~

The Apothecary's House by Adrian Mathews

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters & Jane Austen

:friends0:

I hope a shopping trip into Guildford about a week ago and bought six books: Past Imperfect by Julian Fellowes, The Lost Book of Salem by Katherine Howe, Baking Cakes in Kigali by Gaile Parkin, The Heretics Daughter by Kathleen Kent, A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz and The Vagrants by Yi Yun Li. The first book I have decided to read is The Heretics Daughter, which I am about halfway through.

With Halloween in just over a month, it is interesting that there seem to be a lot of books around about the Salem Witch trials ...

I hope you like The Lost Book of Salem, Talisman! It was definitely one of my favorite reads this year. I was in Salem back in 2003 in the first week of October and man, talk about the Halloween capital of the world! :friends0:

I finished The Struggle, which was a very quick read for me, and am going back to Leeway Cottage by Beth Gutcheon.

Gyre, I'm so happy you enjoyed A Confederacy of Dunces so much :motz: And Charm wow, that's some speedy reading right there, did you finish the Vampy Swede already? I hope you liked it all the way :D

I finished Dead and Gone last night. I'm sad to have finished the series but on the other hand I'm glad that I can finally read something else without feeling guilty. And, with all due respect to Charlaine Harris and those of us who've enjoyed reading this series so much, I do feel like my brain has become a one-dimensional thing, recognising only one kind of style of writing, waking up only to hear the calls of the vampires. And I've had enough of hearing about how "someone remembered/learned/appreciated someone's topography"! :friends0: Farewell Sookie, I will visit you again sometime o/

Have now started on The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
One of the most hilarious books of all time, I defy you to read it and not go straight out and buy the four sequels (this is what I did, except when I discovered them as a young whippersnapper, DNA - Douglas Neil Adams - still hadn't written the last one)!

But then, I would say that, clutching my tickets for Hitch(hiker's)Con(vention)09!

Just finished I Victoria - Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. Never read any of her books before and it has been sitting on one of my book shelves for ages. Found it historically interesting as I knew very little about Queen Victoria,but will probably not read this author again.

Starting on Shatter - Michael Robotham. The blurb says it is a terrifying psychological thriller and is going to delve into the darkess recesses of my mind.:friends0:

Started to read and was prepared to be terrified ,when I realised that these books needed to be read in sequence,so I am now reading the first one (which I just happened to have) called The Suspects.

I just finished The magicians of Caprona by Diana Wynne Jones. Another truely fantastic read. I'm seriously thinking I miht order all her other books now. She's fast becoming one of my favourites.

I'm on a roll so I'm about to start Witch Week the third book in the Chrestomanci series

Quoting myself this book sealed the deal for me. Diana Wynne Jones is a chraming writer - her characters just come to life. I love that the Chrestomanci books aren't all about the same group of characters. It's refreshing to read and the guest appearance (for want of a better phrase) of Chrestomanci in each book just ties them together.

I'm now starting on the fourth book The lives of Christopher Chant

Well Ive decided to walk away from The Widows of Eastwick for now and go back to it :D

Now to find sommat else to read......yesterday I bought The Long Journey the new book by Maeve Binchy which is all short stories so may give that a go for a bit of quick light reading :friends0:

Im really fussy with books and chop and change like anything :motz:

In the last couple of days I finished Harriet the Spy and read another Trixie Belden book.

I also bought a book called Gumbles on Guard by SA Wakefield. It's a sequel to a book my partner read when he was young. I don't know if he'd be interested in this one, but I bought it just in case. If he doesn't want it I'll read it myself.

Tomorrow I'll start reading Enduring Love by Ian McEwan.

Charm wow, that's some speedy reading right there, did you finish the Vampy Swede already? I hope you liked it all the way

I finished Dead and Gone last night. I'm sad to have finished the series but on the other hand I'm glad that I can finally read something else without feeling guilty. And, with all due respect to Charlaine Harris and those of us who've enjoyed reading this series so much, I do feel like my brain has become a one-dimensional thing, recognising only one kind of style of writing, waking up only to hear the calls of the vampires. And I've had enough of hearing about how "someone remembered/learned/appreciated someone's topography"! Farewell Sookie, I will visit you again sometime o/

Thanks frankie :lol: I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was the most endearing, horror read I've read :friends0:

Glad you enjoyed the Sookie books and love your little farewell speech! :D If you have the Psb's at least you've still got True Blood to watch :motz:

Finished Twilight, whata quick read that was. I am going to write my review tonight, not sure what to start now, maybe I will carry on the Vampire theme with the first True Blood book?

Hope you enjoy Sookie, its a bit more 'adult' than Twilight :motz:

I finished Let The Right One In last night and really enjoyed it. Think I may change track a bit and move on to The Time Travellers Wife :D

Thanks frankie :lol: I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was the most endearing, horror read I've read :D

Glad you enjoyed the Sookie books and love your little farewell speech! :motz: If you have the Psb's at least you've still got True Blood to watch :motz:

Charm, glad to hear that you liked it so much! But wasn't it a rather disturbing read? I was appalled at some of the things in it, only I managed to read like 50 pages before I quit so I don't know how it continues. Gonna read it sometime though! Have you thought about reading other books by that author (can never remember his name)?

I think I'm coping better than I expected, I'm reading Joyce Carol Oates's Rape: A Love Story and it's such a short read I'll be able to finish it soon. It's written well but it's really sad and revolting, I hate what some people who are most certainly out of their right minds can say about rape victims :friends0::censored: