Peacefield's Reads (started 2009)

Peacefield

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, I am subscribing to your thread peacefield because you always have great reads. I have read from your list ~

The Historian – Elizabeth Kostova

Dead Until Dark – Charlaine Harris

Rebecca – Daphne Du Maurier

4 Twilight Saga books – Stephenie Meyer

I did not realise that Elizabeth Kostova was releasing a new book, thanks for that. Happy reading :D

:D Aww thanks, Gyre! I will say the same about your and your reads :D. I'm very excited over Kostova's new one! If you get a chance look for the synopsis - I think it looks very interesting. Did you enjoy The Historian?

:D Aww thanks, Gyre! I will say the same about your and your reads :D. I'm very excited over Kostova's new one! If you get a chance look for the synopsis - I think it looks very interesting. Did you enjoy The Historian?

Thanks :D I just had a look on amazon (added it to my wishlist) and the synposis for 'The Swan Thieves', it sounds really good, something I would enjoy. I did enjoy 'The Historian', a interesting book, what I liked the best about it was the fact you did not know what to expect.:blush:

Right now I'm reading the 2nd in the Sookie Stackhouse series, Living Dead in Dallas.

:D Me too! It's good, isn't it?

Lots of good books on your list; I loved The Historian as well and The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane / The Lost Book of Salem is now on my wishlist. It sounds really good. Not going to hop on the Twilight bandwagon, though! :D

I'm looking forward to Kostova's next offering as I also loved The Historian. And I don't know what this Salem Physick thing is, but I must look it up as I've seen the name floating around here a good bit.

Yep, here it is Janet! Thanks for your encouragement :D. I'm so, SO glad you are liking the Salem book! It's been awhile since I've gotten so excited over a new author and am glad other people can share in the enthusiasm. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for Howe's next work!

Gyre, I liked that about The Historian as well, and I find that area of the world very interesting too. The architecture, the customs, and then throw in the historical info on Vlad Tepes and it was just a wonderful story.

I love the Sookie book, Tikkititi! Can't wait to read more in the series. I'm glad the Dane/Salem book is on your list now, I don't think you'll be disappointed after you read it!

Roxi, I think you should check more into The Lost Book of Salem, I can't say enough good things :D.

I'm practically having conniptions waiting for Elizabeth Kostova's next book. I loved The Historian. :hyper:I also loved The Instance Of The Fingerpost by Ian Pears, but you already know this, 'cos we've chatted about it. I'll find out The Lost Book as I've always had an interest in the Witch Trials. I once played the role of John Proctor in The Crucible by Arthur Miller.

Have you read The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow?

Happy days, Peacefield, happy days. :D

I can't wait for Kostova's new one, Mac! I'm surprised to see that on the Amazon UK website it's not due out until 21 January there either, so I guess we'll have to wait awhile for it :lol:.

I haven't read The Last Witchfinder yet, but on your recommendation I did pick it up on one of my recent trips to the used bookshop, so it is definitely in my TBR pile!

When I was at the cabin this weekend I borrowed 'Frenchman's Creek' by Daphne du Maurier from our communal book shelf and also 'The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Jazz and Blues' by Howard Mandell. Looking forward to reading them both :blush:.

Hi Peace! :lol:

"The Thirteenth Tale" is next on my reading list.. I have it from the library. What'd you think of it? :blush:

I may have to try out this Salem witch trials book, too.. You make it sound so interesting!

"The Thirteenth Tale" is next on my reading list.. I have it from the library. What'd you think of it? :blush:

I may have to try out this Salem witch trials book, too.. You make it sound so interesting!

Ohhh, Bethany! I loved Thirteenth Tale SO much! I really, really hope you like it :lol:. I just found a great copy in hardcover so I added it to my library in hopes to read it again some day. The way the story is told is almost eerie, and the setting being somewhere in Yorkshire (I think) really lends to that feeling. Please let us know what you think of it!

I will also highly recommend The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (aka The Lost Book of Salem). Definitely a favorite of mine this year.

I will also highly recommend The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (aka The Lost Book of Salem). Definitely a favorite of mine this year.

I've added this to my wishlist, it does sound good plus I want to see what all the fuss is about! :D

Ohhh, Bethany! I loved Thirteenth Tale SO much! I really, really hope you like it :D. I just found a great copy in hardcover so I added it to my library in hopes to read it again some day. The way the story is told is almost eerie, and the setting being somewhere in Yorkshire (I think) really lends to that feeling. Please let us know what you think of it!

Peace, I started reading this today and am LOVING it. I've made it to page 119 so far and hope to get some more done tonight. It's such a great story so far, and I love the way Setterfield uses words.. It's almost magical, no??

Thanks for the other suggestion, too.. I've heard good things from several people about this, including you!

Yayayay Bethany!! I'm so happy you're loving it! I completely agree about the way that Setterfield writes. Her style just lends to the mystery of the story itself, and yes, it's definitely magical. I have several quotes from that book that I wrote down because I loved them so much. One I can remember about a 'family being like a spiderweb' and not being able to think of one person without learning about/effecting the rest of a family as a whole. Excellent stuff :D.

I remember exactly which quote you are talking about!

I totally understand what you mean.. I'm only like 2/5 of the way through the book, and there's so many lines that I am keeping track of to write down and keep! It's wonderful, isn't it? :D

Setterfield is a wonderful writer and I can't wait for her to come out with something new, Bethany! :D

I picked up a copy of Ghostwalk today by Rebecca Stott and thought I would post the synopsis here if anyone is interested. It looked intriguing to me, plus Iain Pears left praise on the back cover so I could not resist buying it :irked:. I might try reading it once I'm done with the Harris.

A Cambridge historian, Elizabeth Vogelsang, is found drowned, clutching a glass prism in her hand. The book she was writing about Isaac Newton's involvement with alchemy

• 1 month later...

Sorry it's taken me a bit to post on Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott, everyone. But I did finish it and know some of you are wondering what I thought so here goes :D. Oh, and the synopsis is a few posts down if you want to read that first.

This one took me by surprise. I thought, after reading the dust jacket, that it was a pretty straight-forward story about the mysterious death of a woman writing a book on Isaac Newton and his study of alchemy. The main person in the story, Lydia, was there to finish this book and meanwhile try to find out exactly what caused the author's death.

It took me a bit of time get comfortable with the way in which the story was told. Lydia herself spoke in first person, and referred to other characters and 'she' and 'he' except for one person. Her former lover and son of Elizabeth (the murdered author), whom she referred to as 'you.' I'm still trying to figure out what Rebecca Stott meant by doing this. The story took an almost mystical turn however and Lydia discovers ways that she, Elizabeth, Newton and his peers at Cambridge are all somehow connected. I must admit that there were times when the skeptical side of me was a little unsure of things like entanglement and the use of prisms, but at the least I learned a lot of things about Newton and the study of alchemy in general.

I don't want to give much away and spoil things. I can safely say though that I have never read anything like this book and hopefully we'll hear lots more from this author. I'm so glad I read it!

I finished The Struggle by LJ Smith last night. It was pretty good, and unlike the first book in the series I was more interested in what happened to all the characters. I also spent less time comparing it to you-know-what :friends0:. Quite a bit more action in this one too!

I'm starting Leeway Cottage tonight by Beth Gutcheon. Here's the synopsis:

In April 1940, as the Nazis march into Denmark, a rich girl named Sydney Brant marries a gifted Danish pianist, Laurus Moss. Almost at once, their views of the world and their marriage begin to diverge. Laurus's beloved family is in Copenhagen, hostage to Hitler's war. When Laurus chooses to leave Sydney in the fall of 1941 to help build a Danish Resistance from London, Sydney is dismayed. By the time they are reunited four years later, Laurus's family and the reader have been through one of the most stirring stories of the war - Denmark's courageous grassroots rescue of virtually all seven thousand of the country's Jews. Meanwhile Sydney, in America, has led a group knitting for the war effort, and had a baby. In the decades to come, many people, especially their grown children, will wonder if these two very different people understand each other at all.